Susie and Orbit's daily dribble

Morning all

Yes Katie it is nice, and got another one on Monday so I can wait in for an Ikea delivery - am finally getting drapes (lovely white linen ones), white net curtains and some privacy from the people across the way!

Well, the big news is that I've decided to make some major lifestyle choices, which is great news and very, very overdue! The following is a bit confessional, I hope you don't mind but I felt I needed to write it down, and anyway I have nothing to be ashamed of, especially now I've decided to act.

As of today, I am a non smoker and am also joining the NMV ranks. I had a good friend over on Wednesday night and we were talking about how we both go round and round in circles with weight loss, losing a bit, gaining more, knowing why it happens but not facing up to dealing with it. I've also been worried about my wine bingeing, I just can't seem to stop at just one (bottle), it makes me want to smoke, and a hangover completely derails any attempts at sensible eating. I've also been getting increasingly worried about my poor level of fitness and feeling breathless all the time. If I have been lucky enough to avoid a terrible smoking-related disease, I want to keep it that way.

I read Allen Carr (thanks V xxx) right through last night and have it on my phone so I can keep reminding myself of the key points - but I'm just repeating the mantra "I am a non smoker" and telling myself it's no big deal. My brain loves to self sabotage (like most of us, I know), so I'm downplaying the idea that it's really hard to give up to help me through.

So there it is. I feel a bit scared - but it's also exciting times! :)

Great decision Susie, it is exciting and we're all here to support you! When I do a NMV I have so much more energy and feel positive. Here's to a great 2014 lovely. x

Well done Susie on making those changes, wine has a way of derailing lots of our lives and of causing us to make bad decisions. Giving up smokingxan only be good. Best of luck and we are always here to offer support.

Sent from my HTC One mini using MiniMins.com mobile app

I know it does seem a bit daft, doing it all at the same time - but giving up smoking makes the NMV a very sensible thing to do - and I have decided to use food as a support - but reach for healthy stuff, not crisps, etc:).

I'm going to increase my daily cal allowance to 1,800, but will have lots of Tesco Healthy Living range in the fridge (no or hardly any additives!), getting all the NHS help I can (except patches/gum, don't want those), and will start taking korean ginseng, kudzu and black cohosh - they are all well documented for helping.

Any other tips?

Change your routine would be my only tip. We are creatures of habit and when you find yourself doing the same thing at the same time every day when you would normally have a smoke try chaging things around a bit.

Hi Susie, great decision and well worth going for it:). Agree vino is a huge willpower drainer and easier to avoid completely probably
Xxx

Well done Susie, it will only make you feel better I'm sure.

agree with diet kitty - it's best to change your routine and habits like if you would normally have a smoke after a meal consciously plan something else to do instead. it sounds silly but it breaks the mental association and it does work. It's difficult at first but after a while becomes more automatic as you re wire your brain.

I'm seven years smoke free ( from starting at age 13 :sigh:) so it can be done!

Wishing you loads of luck with it xx

No problemo my love I'm here if you need me. Hope you chucked those fags out !!!!!
Lisa have you started again? X

Hope you chucked those fags out !!!!!

Yep hun I soaked them in water first though, so there's no chance of going through the rubbish and picking them out again :eek:. I also took a picture of the horrible butt-filled tumbler I'd been using for an ashtray, to remind myself, and got the NHS mobile app.

Agree completely Lisa about changing my routine. After dinner is my big danger time, so am going to think of other things to do, have a soak, do my exercise DVD (when I can find it, still have loads of boxes to unpack - but can't do it yet because I haven't got a bookcase), or maybe take up knitting. I've also resurrected my cozy mystery novel - 3600 words written so far :D

I did stop in at Waitrose on the way home and buy some yummy chorizo sossies for dinner, with cabbage tossed in butter (and a pud, sorry) - to celebrate the decision!

Thanks to you all for your kind words, by the way! xxx

Morning all

Survived last night, but I can tell the cravings are building up, I usually have a morning ciggie with my tea, and I wasn't desperate to have it but my mind kept flicking to it - also slept badly and boy do I have a headache! Just have to keep reminding myself it's a bit like the Atkins flu, it's my body flushing out all the yuckies :)

Food was a bit OTT last night - three choc biscuits and some nuts, as well as dinner and some pud - but I've marked it down as a celebration of my new life. Think the scales won't look good on Monday, but this is more important in the scheme of things.

Busy day today, got the handyman coming round, then friends popping by, then Mr Tesco - what a rock n roll life I lead :D Have a good one!

Well done last night suze. Cigs first diet later xXxX plus you will feel better to exercise again :) have a nice day xxxx

Morning you ! How is the non smoker today? X

Morning Susie, well done on surviving day 1. A couple of friends at work that smoked for years use those flavored fake ciggie things. They say they haven't looked back since day one. Will try to find out what they're called if you want.

I thought about knitting too. Looked at a how to knit book in the shops yesterday and got very confused at the slip knot lol- lots of online instructions though. Great idea to keep your hands busy. Oooh cozy novel- can't wait to read it.

I've use 'walk with Leslie Sansone' (free on youtube) It's really more of a low impact aerobics but good for me as it's usually raining here and I can't jump about with the shred anymore. I suppose some would consider her a bit naff, but I really enjoy it. I also downloaded some of her stuff on her 'walk tv' site so it's all on my computer, no searching for dvds and remotes etc.

Morning you ! How is the non smoker today? X

Evening lovely! All good - according to my app I've been a NS for 2 days and 19 hours and all the nicotine and carbon monoxide is out of my body, I've not smoked 28 cigs and saved £11 :D

I have been eating whatever I liked though - but have found that tomato based things really help - so cooked up a storm today so I'm ready for the week. Got the headache again but I slept better last night, and I'm working from home tomorrow so can grab a nap if I need to. I think what's most surprising is that I just gave up like that, without planning and thinking about it for ages beforehand - so I keep forgetting that I've given up, and twice today started to get up to go and have a cigarette without even thinking about what I was doing :eek: - and then stopped myself. It's all habit, as Lisa says, and one I've had for over 30 years.

A couple of friends at work that smoked for years use those flavored fake ciggie things. They say they haven't looked back since day one. Will try to find out what they're called if you want.

I thought about knitting too. Looked at a how to knit book in the shops yesterday and got very confused at the slip knot lol- lots of online instructions though. Great idea to keep your hands busy. Oooh cozy novel- can't wait to read it.

I've use 'walk with Leslie Sansone' (free on youtube) It's really more of a low impact aerobics but good for me as it's usually raining here and I can't jump about with the shred anymore. I suppose some would consider her a bit naff, but I really enjoy it. I also downloaded some of her stuff on her 'walk tv' site so it's all on my computer, no searching for dvds and remotes etc.

Don't worry about the fake cigs Val, I want to just get right away from any substitutes - but thanks for the thought. I love Leslie! It's her 1 and 2 mile inhouse walking DVD that I've got. I must go and check out the download stuff, what a great idea!

Re the knitting, I'm a good country girl and used to knit and crochet a lot, just don't think I would have the patience for it now though - and am also trying to avoid spending money on projects that I won't see through. I worked out today that if I try VERY hard and save an extra £300 a month I can have my mortgage paid off in 8 years instead of 15, so that's going to be the focus for a while :)

Hope you've all had a lovely restful Sunday xx

Not sure about restful lol. Well done though so very proud of you!!!!

Aww thanks honey xxx

Terrible night's sleep, lots of weird dreams, but woke to find I've sts'd - which I am delighted with, after the amount of rubbish I've eaten since Friday!

It's now Day 4 so will start exercising tonight (thanks to Val, I've bookmarked loads of Leslie :)) and trying to rein the food in a bit.

Sxxx

And the dreams are a side effect I was the same oh and constipation:)

Back