Swapping Healthy Extras - cheating or not??

This may work for you hun and I understand it must be difficult being vegan with A choices (what do SW recommend for vegans?) but it isn't following the plan 100%.

I don't know if SW actually have any other Hex A options for vegans, maybe someone with the books could comment on that.

No it's not following the plan precisely to the letter, it's following the blueprint - the basic formula of Hex + Free Foods + Syns, using some common sense substitutions.

I'm a bit of a stickler for the rules

And if that works for you, great. :)

I am on on EE and I have 28g of special K i have not even checked if they are on the list, I just assumed they were! Hope they are cos I have gave 100% this week and hope havent messed up

oooops I am in the same boat, I have been having 28g of specail K :( hope I have not messed up, as I have been 100% otherwise

I don't know if SW actually have any other Hex A options for vegans, maybe someone with the books could comment on that.

No it's not following the plan precisely to the letter, it's following the blueprint - the basic formula of Hex + Free Foods + Syns, using some common sense substitutions.

From the SW site.

Q: I am a vegan, is Food Optimising suitable?

A: Absolutely! Unlike many other diets or eating plans, the generosity and flexibility of Food Optimising means it is suitable for practically every dietary requirement or preference. The good news is, because it allows you to choose the foods you wish to eat, it is easy to incorporate any specific requirement or preference.

With Food Optimising you can choose from all the vegetables, grains, pulses, pastas, rice and beans you can possibly imagine! Add soya products, fruit, non-dairy cheese, milk and yogurt, nuts and seeds and you will find the Food Optimising system is a vegan's dream.

Your Slimming World group Consultant will be happy to help you incorporate any personal requirements and, of course, give you plenty of support and encouragement to reach your personal weight goals.

Re the other stuff, we will have to agree to disagree, you're not following the plan correctly (as you said!) SW is not about "tweaking" it to suit I'm afraid. I'd say you're doing a variation on a theme :D

From the SW site.

Q: I am a vegan, is Food Optimising suitable?

A:

With Food Optimising you can choose from all the vegetables, grains, pulses, pastas, rice and beans you can possibly imagine! Add soya products, fruit, non-dairy cheese, milk and yogurt, nuts and seeds and you will find the Food Optimising system is a vegan's dream.

This doesn't actually seem to answer the question re Hex As for vegans who don't like soya products, unless the nuts/seeds/dried fruits qualify as Hex As? I'd be interested to know of any options like that, I know for instance that dried figs contain decent levels of calcium.

Re the other stuff, we will have to agree to disagree, you're not following the plan correctly (as you said!) SW is not about "tweaking" it to suit I'm afraid.

I'm following the formula, which is why it's working despite some tweaks. SW themselves have 'tweaked' their plan massively on at least two occasions over the past 25 years - what do you think the Green Plan and now the Extra Easy plan are? :D

Following your 'to the letter' logic, there would be no Green/Extra Easy. It would still be the Original plan only, because SW would have said to vegetarians 'tough sh*t, this is our plan and if you don't eat meat you're not following it, so nyah.' Of course they didn't say that - they sensibly adapted and changed the plan to produce a version that met the needs of that group of people. Recently they've tweaked it again to produce Extra Easy, to make it easier for people who find the whole Red/Green thing confusing and limiting. Both these tweaks work because the formula is still the same; 3-4 Hex's a day, plus Free Foods and Syns.

Elizabeth, I said we'd need to agree to disagree. Drop it please. I don't agree with you, you don't agree with me!

Elizabeth, I said we'd need to agree to disagree. Drop it please. I don't agree with you, you don't agree with me!

I'll discuss this if I want to. Please don't tell me what I'm allowed to speak about on an open board.

Certainly we can agree to disagree. :)

Eek, I think I'll hide under the table!

oh for heaven's sake, this is usually such a friendly board!!! And there was me looking for more vegan info on the sw site for you. I'll not bother.

oh for heaven's sake, this is usually such a friendly board!!! And there was me looking for more vegan info on the sw site for you. I'll not bother.

We were agreeing to disagree, I believe.

Does anyone know, either from the books or anecdotally, if nuts/seeds/fruits can be used as a Hex A? There must be other non-dairy, non-soya sources of calcium that can be used? :confused:

Thank you so much, I thought I had brilliant week until I read that thread last night, I could have kicked myself, I have checked and double everything else this week and was remiss on that front, fortunately there were a few things on my Syns that I could transfer to HEB and then add the Special K as a syn, it worked out for bout 3 days but theres 1 day that I have gone over my syns, this was my 100% week so I am a bit disappointed, the damage may not be too severe, what can I do now, theres no point crying over spilt cereal, I dont get weighed til thurs so I will give a brave attempt to keep perfectly on track til then, thanks again

fortunately there were a few things on my Syns that I could transfer to HEB and then add the Special K as a syn, it worked out for bout 3 days but theres 1 day that I have gone over my syns, this was my 100% week so I am a bit disappointed

I wouldn't fret over it too much hon, going over your syns a little bit on one day is not going to affect your whole week too much. Just keep on track now till weigh in and you'll probably be nicely surprised. :)

I wouldn't worry about making a tiny little mistake like that, really if the nutrition stats are almost the same then I very much doubt if it will make the slightest bit of difference anyway - and also when I tried the Special K Sustain, which is on the list, I didn't find that it made me any more 'fuller' than normal Special K. The main thing to remember is all the things that you HAVE done right - the planning, the writing down, no cheating, no falling off the wagon, you've eaten all exactly the right things and I'm sure you will get your reward - when do you weigh in?

Thank you all for your comments, very much appreciated, this is why I love this forum, Im flying away on it, when I should be doing other things, better this being my guilty pleasure than a big box of chocs! xx

I've been doing this since I went vegan. Obviously I can no longer have dairy as my Hex A, and I don't like soya milk. Therefore I was simply not having Hex A anymore. (I take a calcium supplement instead.)

I know that Hex's are around 120 cals, so I decided to just substitute 250ml of fresh orange juice, which I would normally have to syn. I use it to make my fruit smoothie for breakfast, counting it as my 'Hex A'.

It hasn't affected my weight loss and the way I see it, my new Hex A is still providing me with essential nourishment - just in the form of vitamin C rather than calcium.

Generally, I wouldnt advise anyone to subsitute their HE's, but it seems yours works very well for you and keeps you right healthwise. 99% of people should leave SW plan as it is, as it works, but i do believe that there is 1% of people who WILL need to tweak it slightly. Well done in finding a healthy alrernative!

I was going to ask why you felt the need to use your HE's for breakfast??
As I type, I have a plate with free bacon, sausages, tinned new potatoes, baked beans, eggs and mushrooms in front of me all free on EE day.
Because I start work at 8.30, I made this last night when I was cooking tea..simple!
realise i'm a bit late with this but never thought of using tinned spuds, sliced and fried in fry light deeeelicious!

I'm so glad i read this thread!! I've been eating Special K for the last two months thinking it was a HEXB.....poop.

Gunna have to look at the list and pick a new cereal! I'm so glad I joined this forum!

Vegan HEas include:

Arla Lactofree Cheese
Galaxy foods cheddar/mozarella veggie/rice slices
Galaxy Foods Vegan Soya slices

You can also have lactofree and rice dream milk as opposed to Soya milk

If you like any of these I will root through for the quantities.

I agree that wherever possible you should stick to the rules of the plan (calcium A and fibre B) because really, you should be getting plenty of vitamin C with your free food fruits and veg anyway, so if any of these alternatives do you good, go for it.

And as a sidenote, i hated, HATED skimmed milk before I was on this plan. Now i'm alright with it... it might take time but you could get into the alternative milk and cheeses

Oh and PS: weetaflakes taste JUST like Special K, are a HEB (plus I think 1 or 2 scan bran) and are loads cheaper, you can get them in pound shops, save yourself a few bob on those bloomin Sustains!!

Back