Syn Free Onion Chutney/Marmalade

Going to give this a whirl today. I too love chutneys and pickles so this will be a fab addition. Bet it would be lovely mixed in with some mashed potato.
Thanks for posting :0) xxx

Gonna make this later and some mango chutney and mint sauce and then some onions, cucumber n tomatoes cut up with some poppadums :) oh and syn free curry n maybe try egg fried rice! Sounds easy enough :) lol xx

Hi Everyone,

I love pickles esp branston and picalili :) however I have 2 issues that they are synned and also that I live overseas and I have to pay thru the nose to get them....so I decided to make my own onion chutney, here is my recipe:

1kg onions (ı used red onions)
200ml of balsamic vinegar
300ml of apple vinegar
couple of cloves garlic
salt and pepper
5 dessertspoons granulated sweetener

I sliced the onions up small and reasonably thin, added the vinegars and sweetener and then simmered for approx one hour until the vinegar had evaporated and formed a thick sticky sauce. I then transferred into steralized jars and sealed.

In my opinion (although I am biased) its a great chutney and would liven up a chicken breast or a cheese sandwich (as I ad today!)

Claire x

Thanks for the recipe, going to give this a try :)

Iv have this on the hob as I type, cannot wait to try. I divided the recipe by 3 as I didnt want too much with only me eating it

Update - nearly done, added more sweetner. Mmmmm

Last edited:
Well I will be making this weekend and having it with a meat loaf i will be making in the week.

Just use use the same meat mix as in the sausage roll recipe, but just increase the quanties. You can add a chopped apple to the mix instead of the apple sauce. Line a loaf tin (or similar) with bacon. Put half of the mix in, then lay a couple of hard boiled eggs, then add the rest. Cover it with the bacon then bake. I am soo looking forward to this in the week. :)

Thank you so much for this recipes! Have been making the chutney from nigellas christmas book to give as pressies the last few years, was gutted I wouldn't be able to keep a couple if jars back for myself or even really taste them as I imagine there are about a billion syns in her chilli jam recipe! Substituting sweetner sounds like a great idea though, do you know if it works if the recipe asks for jam sugar?
xxx

I keep meaning to make this. I even keep buying giant bags of onions and storing glass jars but I just keep eating them! (The onions, not the glass jars... :rolleyes: )

MUST try this this week. Someone kick me up the arse if it hasnt happened by Weds...

Louise3p, I don't think it would work exactly the same - if something is asking for jam sugar, then it needs pectin to set (which is what's in jam sugar). I imagine if you used sweetener you'd just end up with a runny version of the recipe, but it should taste similar.

I'm about to make a batch of red onion chutney, can't wait!

Louise - I would say Blaze is right in that you won't get a set without the sugar. You could experiment by making up the recipe minus the sugar and then add sweetener (aspartame based sweeteners taste bitter if heated - so if that's what you are using add it when the pulp etc., has cooled a bit).

Then you could add some gelatine (follow pack instructions) Perhaps start with one pack or a part pack of gelatine and add more later if it doesn't set enough, until you get a texture you like. It won't necessarily set like a jelly but it will give it a bit of firmness. The end result will be different to using sugar though. I suppose you could also use a flavoured sugar free jelly with a flavour that 'matched' what you are making.

Or you could just use the original recipe and syn it. Personally I find that chutnies and savoury sauces etc., are quite low in syns for the added flavour you get from them.

if i make this using only balsamic vinegar only do i add just the 200ml or do i make it up to include the cider vinegar quantities as well thanks

Off to buy cider vinegar now x

well i made this and it is yum, tasted it when it was cold and it was a bit vinergary but when you eat it with something else like cheese or ham it tastes so much different and so much nicer

Gave it a go today. Used a 1/3 quantities with a wee bit less onion and some finely chopped carrot to make it a bit more 'branston'ish and a slug of lemon juice. Still warm but tastes quite moreish. Waiting for it to be cold as I have a HEXA cheese with it's name on it!!

Back