The last stone mission......ROLL UP!!!!

Wow. That looks lovely on you (the yellow suit). They are amazing photos. Blimey, you must be so chuffed. It's one thing to lose that amount of weight, but to do it entirely on your own is incredible :clap: :clap:

awh thank you Karion (and like on another thread yesterday, I'm tempted to tell you how much weight I've gained since then, but I won't!!). I must get back to that weight, else that hat won't fit me again ;)

11lb to go (ish) and boy are they the hardest pounds to lose!

awh thank you Karion (and like on another thread yesterday, I'm tempted to tell you how much weight I've gained since then, but I won't!!)

It's in your siggy :D You did have a great excuse though, and you're dealing with it now. Yee...you're a star.

I've been really lucky with Ebay, but I tend to go by label e.g. I know that Principles will fit me and Next won't. That lemon outfit was a fantastic bargain and really suits you, I'm jealous - I look awful in any shade of yellow/orange.

Predictive text drives me spare, and I can't imagine trying to use it in French. Although my dictionary does list common texting abbreviations in French, I doubt I will ever use them, or understand the response.

Had a very depressing email from the owner of the holiday flat we are renting in Carcassonne, she received the contract I sent her but the deposit money I enclosed has disappeared. Since I sent it airsure it should be insured but it is really annoying, it can only have been stolen within the postal system. I used airsure because the Franch post has caused me problems before and I wanted to be able to track this. Luckily she was nice about it and told me not to bother sending again.

oooh no re Carcassonne. I've never really thought about how people in the UK pay those deposits. Cash of course is always so dangerous to put in the mail, but airsure sounds like it should have been ok? Hope you follow up on this...

I like texting, in either language, but can't bear abbreviations. Sometimes my sister sends me a short message in text speak and I have to pay for a text to respond: "what??"!

It's true that, if you know the shops and how they size their clothes, it's easier for you. I haven't a clue! Having been big for so many years, my choice was restricted to Evans only, and I've only been to England for the odd shopping trip since so am never quite sure what size I am where...

Good dieting day yesterday, and now 11 stone 3lbs so I couldn't resist changing ticker. 1lb lost since last Friday which is good. Only difference is that I'm walking 20 mins each morning (fast and uphill!). You?

Hi, great to hear you are losing well, what fantastic progress. I seem to be gaining overall :(, I think I need to be much stricter on UDs which I must admit I haven't been for the last two or three. Reluctantly I must accept that my body has got used to a lower intake and adjusted its needs. Luckily I start dance classes next week so I'm hoping that will give me a bit of a boost. Your walking probably makes quite a bit of difference, they say it is one of the best fat burning exercises.

Today I have no idea what I will be eating or when, because I have to go to a funeral - four and a half hours of driving in total, not fun. So I will just have to busk it and hope for the best.

The insurance claim for the Airsure debacle got sent off yesterday, I am fuming about it still since it must have happened within the post office system, either our end or the French one. The stupid thing is there is no way money can be sent at a reasonable cost through the banking system, so you are stuck with posting cash. If you use a supposedly safe method like Airsure then it is fairly obvious to those handling it that the contents is "interesting". Can't win.

I am starting to have dreams about food :eek:, I must get this diet over with! Fantasies are one thing but actual dreams about dessert buffets - not good.

oooh I hope the drive goes ok and funeral too... and I hope your dream about dessert buffet satisfied your yearning for sweet things. I have an American friend here who tells me she'll sometimes have a mouthful of something, just one mouthful... then give the rest to her husband/child whatever and that the mouthful sufficed. I can't see that working for me somehow!!

Roll on the Euro coming to the UK, huh? (JOKE!!)

There is another school of thought, Claire... perhaps you need to again tweak things. You were having relatively stable calorie days, then switched to Judd to upset everything, perhaps you need a stable week again. A 1,200 each day week, then back to Judd... You never know and, let's face it, we've got nothing to lose but weight!

I'm sure your exercise classes will help a lot, not only for the exercise, but you'll not be wanting to "spoil" a good work out by silly eating.

What a long day, driving in England is hellish. Bad roadworks had the traffic crawling along for a few miles, but I got there with time to spare and parked easily. Why does a day I have to drive so much turn out one of the sunniest this year? Anyway, it went well, and it was good to see my cousins again. I even got to do a bit of shopping and bought some beautiful saxe blue pure linen for £1.50 a metre, a serious bargain.

I think you are probably right about trying a different tack on the diet front for a few days, I have got out of sync with my DDs because of needing today to be up, so maybe I should try 1200 at least until Monday. The health benefits of JUDDD keep going for a couple of weeks even if you aren't doing it so no worries there.

I wasn't too bad on the cake front, maybe my nocturnal imaginings helped! I fear just one mouthful would lead to just another until the whole piece had gone, and maybe more. Sometimes I sip water between each bite, it doesn't make me eat less but it does make food last longer.

Sadly I doubt we will be using the euro here any time soon, and even if we did it wouldn't help. Banks charge exhorbitantly for foreign cheques even if they are the same currency! I wish more small traders would allow Paypal or one of the other payment methods, I would happily pay the charges there.

I'm glad the funeral wasn't too bad, and that you didn't shame yourself by eating all the cakes on the dessert buffet! (Just imagine it! My dream has always been to be locked into a sweet shop overnight!)

I think we do have to regularly "trick" our bodies after lengthy spells of dieting. I'm sticking to alternate ish, but never going below 1,000, but I am eating carbs every day now which I hope will help later on.

Got a big document to work on today so might be quiet. It'll help the day pass faster at least!

Days can really drag at work when there's little to do, that's one great thing about working from home. Today I am hoping to get some more painting done, I want to get it finished and also to get all the painting kit out of my kitchen.

I am going to try 1200cals each day until Monday, see if it helps. This morning my weight was unchanged at 9st10lbs so maybe I am going down but in a very odd pattern. Whatever, a change can't do any harm provided it is still lower than normal requirements.

Good weigh in this morning giving me a one kilo exactly (2.2lbs) loss for the week. The only difference I can think of is the 20 walk on the way to work. Must continue. (Note to sky: don't rain between 8 and 9am in the morning next week!).

Weekend meals already planned, including SMALL chocolate treat Sunday evening, so feeling confident. We're staying in the City this weekend, which tends to me more lazing around alas so I'll be sure to get out and about and keep moving!

How are things with you? What sort of food can you eat for 1,200 calories? I'd be interested in seeing your food plans.

Hope your hubby isn't going to desert you this weekend. Any plans?

Hi, I'm desperately trying to get my painting done so I don't have to do any over the weekend. Just the top of the garage to do - sounds odd but that half of my house used to be a shop and was converted into a garage so it has a large shopfront surround with folding garage doors set in it.

Well done on your loss, that is excellent. I wish I could achieve that amount, sadly I don't think I will have lost anything this week. My weight has been the same for the last three days. Yesterday I stuck to 1200 calories, it seemed like quite a lot of food though. I am doing the same today but haven't planned what I am going to eat yet - very disorganised of me, I shall go to the supermarket later. Here's what I had yesterday:
Breakfast - small slice of brioche toast with a little jam, half a low fat yogurt
Snack - apple
Lunch - salad with prawns, smoked trout and a little mayonnaise, home made bread roll with a scrape of butter
5.00 - small slice of plum tart
Dinner - 2oz pasta with tomato, ham and vegetables, smalll amount of sorbet

Exercise does make a difference, it doesn't seem to be just the calories used either, it is the whole feeling better for doing it thing. I'm not getting much at the moment but that will change soon.

This weekend I want to start designing the set for a production I may be directing in the Spring. It is fairly complicated and I need to see how I can fit it into our acting area. David mentioned something about sailing but it is fairly local so he will be home in the evening I assume. This evening I want to finish a piece of jewellery I have been making, it is for my jewellery forums twice monthly themed work project, this one is beach glass. I happened to have some pieces I had picked up last summer so it was an ideal opportunity to use them. The deadline is tonight and it is nearly finished.

I hope you find some fun things to do this weekend, if it's fine I'm sure there are plenty of places you could walk. We always have to go out with the dog, but she doesn't go far these days. She needs one of those trailers that kids ride in behind bicycles!

At the library yesterday I found a copy of Beyond Chocolate so have got it out. Only just started but it sounds interesting, the two sisters who wrote it had been serial yoyo dieters for years. So that is another thingon the to do list, hmmm, looks like I will be busy.

Last edited:
Dreaming, I think we are the same size then, I'm 5'4.5" and I'm aiming for 9st7lbs final weight. When I get there I will decide if it was the right choice, it's a fairly arbitrary figure which I chose because it was in the middle of healthy BMI range. Last time I dieted (12 years ago) I went down to 8st12lbs and stabilised at 9st3lbs - then slowly crept up, which is NOT going to happen again. The weight I finally get to will depend on things like how soon my thighs get smaller, they are the bane of my life.

Do you enjoy WW? I have never fancied the meetings and public weighing and stuff.

Hiya, sorry, not been here much. I am 5'7 but we sound the same size and i hate my thighs too lol so my aim is to get them smaller! I love WW and enjoy the meetings but its important to find a meeting you fit well into. I've started WW so many times but didn't like the meetings so gave up. When i lost the 5 stone I was going to a great meeting with an excellent leader but she left and the new leader wasn't good so i never reached gold member as I stopped going. We have now found a great group and love the meetings so its been successful for me so far. The weighing is done individually and noone has to know except you and whoever is weighing you. As it is, we usually end up asking eachother how we've done, and sometimes its nice to know that others have put on as well as you, as the following week you are all determinded to have lost! I find the points system really easy to follow as its not restrictive at all.

That's excellent if you have found a diet which suits you. I am really struggling to lose anything at all at the minute, and this weekend am actually trying to eat a bit more in the hope a sudden drop on Monday will jumpstart another loss. And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that dance classes will get my metabolism fired up again next week.

Sounds like you've really enjoyed the social side of WW too, how are you getting on with shifting the final stone?

Morning all

A good weekend for me and weigh in shows I'm FINALLY in normal BMI range again. I am obviously delighted, although kind of surprised at the sudden weight drop, but am well aware that I'm off on holiday Friday evening (with no internet access for over two weeks!) and things could go wrong again. I'm feeling strong though, and had a chocolate snack last night, just kept it "reasonable".

I am hoping the 1,200 cals followed by another Judd spell will help your weight loss. Are you sure you "need" to lose any more weight, as such, as I saw someone posted to you on your diary? I'm not sure what your BMI is now but obviously if you're in the "normal" range, albeit not quite to your taste, it is going to be hard to lose more. Hopefully your exercise classes will help that when they start again.

Hi Joanne, well done on the loss and congratulations on getting into healthy bmi again, I think your walks may be helping. I am ignoring the scales until tomorrow, they have gone up a bit because the weekend went a lot higher than 1200 (sort of intentional but not entirely!). Back to a DD today, I am almost relieved (weird isn't it?). TBH I don't know the difference between need and want, I still feel I am carrying more than I ought to and the last few pounds might see an improvement in my "problem" areas.

I finally got my painting finished (hooray) even the house numbers, so it now looks glossy and clean. I must take a photo because I know this won't last. I think I have a dance class tonight, have to check, it will be good to be back moving again. Summer is always a problem time exercisewise, I always mean to do more but somehow life gets in the way.

I bet you are really looking forwards to your holiday, are you taking the cat or does your neighbour look after her? Some cats travel really well, ours used to love going in the car.

I do remember, Claire, when I neared target, I had problem knowing when to stop. In fact, it was only my other half's making me swear not to go below 10 stone 7lbs, that got me to stop there. (My initial target had been 11 stone; half my body weight; but when I neared that weight, I wanted more, then when I neared 10st 7lbs, I wanted more, etc etc. and he could see it spiralling out of control.) OK I did eventually get to dip under the 10 stone mark, after a stabilisation period, but I received so many negative comments at the state of my face(!) that I took them on board and decided I'd have to choose between my face and body! (Remember I have excess skin too which has to weigh something!).

I wonder if your eyes are really "seeing" the new you after your weight loss. I wonder what Karion would say. Claire - what is your BMI now? Your comment about being glad to be "almost relieved" to be on a DD again could be revealing...

My cat does travel brilliantly and, so long as we're travelling in France, she comes along. We only adopted her last November so she's only been left behind once for a week at Christmas and she wasn't happy. I just can't face putting her through all the extra jabs she needs to get in and out of the UK, plus the journey is a long one in a car for a cat so she's better staying home. Taking her to the country though rarely exceeds 3.5 hours, and usually is around 2.5 hours, so she's fine.

Funnily enough we find summer in the City good for exercise as I walk everywhere and never ever take public transport (or get the car out). In the country, however, you need a car to get anywhere (for instance supermarket 18km away, baker/butcher 7km away) so we rarely walk. Not good!

My bmi is currently just over 23, at 9st7lbs it would be 22.5 so I don't think I am aiming excessively low. I was actually more blinkered to my size when I had gained weight than I am now, perhaps because I wouldn't look in the mirror anyt more than was absolutely necessary. When I last dieted, 12 years ago, I went down to 8st12lbs and stabilised at 9st3lbs - I think that might be too low for me at the age I am now. So I feel that 9st7lbs is realistic, and a definite rule never to creep above 10st again.

Does your cat stay indoors in the country or does she wander outside? It is so much easier to be able to take her with you than arrange for catsitters. France always seems much more animal friendly than England, I never cease to be impressed by how our dog is welcomed into restaurants, given treats by butchers and generally admired.

It is funny how country life is regarded as healthier but makes car use compulsory. In my parent's village there are hardly any footpaths or places to walk dogs, here in town we can walk to the park and have loads of space.

It's true that 22.5 does seem attainable when you're so close. Do you find that your face looks "older" as you slim more? I have to admit that mine does. When I got to 12 stone recently, I had several COMPLIMENTS, would you believe it. I immediately grabbed the roll around my belly and countered their preference of my face being a little fuller!

We used to let our cat go outside in the village but now try not to let her (although she sometimes escapes when I open a window to open or close a shutter). So many neighbours have recounted sad car vs cat stories that I prefer to keep her indoors. She is fortunately a real scaredy cat so she's frightened when lorries and agricultural machinery trundles past and races back into the house. Once though she went out for the whole day and I didn't see her for about 15 hours. I was so worried that I swore, NEVER AGAIN. So - sorry Misha. You are now confined to barracks!

Our village has loads of cycle paths (pebbly though, which I'm not keen on!!) so no problem in that respect but the market is 18km away so not something we'd stroll to each weekend as we do in the City! ho ho!

My face looks old no matter what! I have skin which wrinkles easily, I've had some since I was 14, but it doesn't sag much. I am probably more concerned about body fat because of dancing, wearing stretch fabrics doesn't hide the fat at all, and we also tend to comment about weight loss in each other (not gain fortunately!). Monday classes are all in front of the mirror, so comparisons are hard to avoid.

Cats are a worry outside, we always let our old cat wander wherever she wanted on the grounds that she had to learn about traffic, it is still upsetting when they are late in. I'm not a keen cyclist, saddles don't seem designed for comfort. 18kms is definitely too far, especially when trying to carry everything home.

Back