The RD Chronicles - Bowing out for now

I'm afraid I'm gonna sound like a bit of a nag here - but I think I can because you know what I think of you and so want you to get to where you want to be.

I truly think that biting the bullet (and NOTHING else!) of SS'ing will work for you again. There's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't as you've done it before - and I'm definitely not in the "The first time is the only time" camp as you know. Just having 4 stone left to lose is a heck of lot less than you had to begin with .. but it IS still 4 stone, and that's a fair amount to lose if you piddle about trying different plans and seeing if you can somehow find a way around sole sourcing which suits you.

Sure there are other CD plans (my personal fave is 790 as you still have your packs plus a protein/veg meal which keeps you in ketosis), but I think you do need that kick up the backside and fast weightloss which only SS will give you.

Of course it's tough, we all know that, but it DOES work. I know it's your birthday on Friday (the day before mine :) ) but if you keep making excuses of events coming up there's just no end to it. There's always something coming up which can put your start date back another day/week/month ...

Why not start tomorrow and at least do it for 3 days without cheating until your birthday .. have a day off .. and then get back into it immediately the day after - and promise yourself you'll do that until your anniversary when you can look forward to another wee celebration .. and then back again straight away afterwards.

I think it's the thought sometimes of "will it ever end?" that puts a lot of people off even starting - but it DOES end .. when you reach your goal weight. And by doing it via sole sourcing you'll get there so much quicker than any other way. It really is only a short-term sacrifice for much longer-term benefits .. at least that's the way I always looked at it :)

Lots of love - and masses of luck!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone
I don't take ANY of your comments as 'nagging' but as helpful, useful and kind contributions from people who evidently care (why else would you submit yourselves to reading my ramblings?)

I picked up my extra packs from my CDC earlier so that I can sole source as from this morning. So I'm already almost at the end of day 1 :p

Has anyone seen 'An Officer and a Gentleman' with the tasty Mr Gere? (drool - I love that film!)
Well, do you remember the bit where the only female officer candidate couldn't get over 'the wall' on the assault course? She'd have a go, fail and end up running around it

The officer in charge would let her off and call her a candy-ass or some similar insult. On the final attempt, she took a huge run at it and gave it her all but she still couldn't make it and sat at the bottom in a crumpled heap, crying.

But then 'Mayo' came running back and yelled at her to 'get up!' ... running alongside her, he wouldn't let her give up and eventually she made it over the top.

Well, that situation reminds me of my diet situation. So many times, I've approached 'the wall' and because things were too difficult, I would run around it aided and abetted by well-meaning loved ones who would give me the excuses to give up.

Not you lot ... you run alongside and help me to see that I need to get over that wall. So thank you for believing that I can - now I just need to prove you all right. :)

good analysis Debbie, keep talking that way & those pesky 4 stone will fly away. i have 3 1/2st left to go, so similar amounts & it's all thanks to you that i have kicked those other 4st into touch, so i'll be with you all along the way
xx:)

End of day two on SS and so far so good. Usually, by now I'm getting hacked off and sneaking a slice of chicken but AT THE MOMENT my resolve is engraved in granite.

I was at Uni all day today. I had the usual nightmare Tuesday morning trip in which took nearly two hours - this is because my first lecture is at 9am on a Tuesday and I catch all the rush-hour traffic leaving the peninsular where I live. Then my afternoon lecture finishes at 4pm so I catch it all on the way back too .... joy!

In the afternoon, I had history and we visited the West Sussex records office to find out how to research the history of buildings (choosing a building in Chichester and researching its history is this semester's assignment). It took me half an hour to find a parking space and then after a brisk walk in the biting cold, I arrived at the office which was very hot and stuffy. Bear in mind I was on day two of a SS restart and it all added up to me feeling faint and having to take time out with a glass of water. I felt a total twit!

My chatterboxes were shouting 'you need some sugar to recover - have a kit-kat' ...but I gave them the cold shoulder and saw the day through in one piece.

Day three here I come.

Well done Debbie - each complete day you get behind you gives you the strength to carry on. You sound like your head is back in gear - brilliant!
Love Barb xx

good on you for giving natterbox the cold shoulder, we you feel off key its so easy to give in but you showed your strength & stood your ground
keep at it & reap the rewards

A quick 'filler' .....

At the start of day three - tested this morning and I'm in ketosis!! Wayyyyy!

I was a bit surprised that it took just two days but maybe it's because I've been on the 1000 plan for a week beforehand and was low-carbing. Anyway - pleased as punch! :D

A quick 'filler' .....

At the start of day three - tested this morning and I'm in ketosis!! Wayyyyy!

I was a bit surprised that it took just two days but maybe it's because I've been on the 1000 plan for a week beforehand and was low-carbing. Anyway - pleased as punch! :D

whats Ketosis ? and this pink stuff - is it a girly thing or can anyone join in?

:D

well done Debbie
i never know whether i am in the pink or not as i don't have sticks
keep going & you'll soon b where you want to b

<lol sharon!>

Well, Mindless ...

judging by your spectacular weight losses in the last two weeks, and the fact that you are also on a VLCD, I can only deduce that you too are 'in the pink' and a lean, mean fat-burning machine who is very much in ketosis!

Low Carb Diet Tips & Basics - Ketosis & Ketone Test Strips

Hi Debbie - hows day 3 going? I have been good - been swimming and eating heathily! Hope now you are in the pink that you are feeling even more motivated - if that is possible!
love Barb xxx

Hi Barb et al
Jan 24th - Day three has gone very well. Being in ketosis of course helps: the gnawing physical hunger has gone. I'm glad I stuck to low carbing when I was dong the 1000 plan - it obviously helped with the quick slide into K.

Hubby and I went on an impromptu trip to Basingstoke today - it has a FAB shopping centre (well worth a visit if anyone is in that part of the world). I was able to sit quite happily at a coffee bar nibbling a peanut crunch bar with a black coffee whilst hubby had a pannini. I didn't even feel a twinge of 'I wish'.

The only trouble I'm having is getting lots of water down. I'm managing the minimum 2 litres but that's about it. Must try harder there.

At the moment, my resolve and motivation is high so I'm capitalising on that and trying not to think that it might possibly change. Losing that motivation isn't an option!

I have a hair appointment tomorrow (having a funky colour done for the Saturday South Coast meet). I also need to do a bit of shopping so that should keep me occupied and prevent my mind from wandering into forbidden territory.

Bring on day 4!

Debbie, you'll put me to shame, my roots need doing but i don't have the time to get them done b4 sat :(

Well, it's Burns Night and, in recognition of my Scottish roots, we always celebrate it with a Burns Night supper of haggis with neeps & tatties and onion gravy. Of course, this year, I'm just having CD soup but I'm still joining in the spirit of the occasion by cooking the supper as usual. Here's a wee taster :)

[FONT=ms sans serif, helvetica, monospaced, arial]Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o the puddin'-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy of a grace
As lang's my arm.
[/FONT]

I'm coming to the end of day four and, dare I say it ... so far so good. I really feel 'in the zone' this time - don't know why this particular restart was different from the others ... perhaps the secret is to just keep chip, chip, chipping away until something 'clicks'.

For the first time in ages, I'm actually looking forward to Monday's weigh-in! :)

Happy Burns Night everyone!

I 'survived' my birthday with just an extra bar to celebrate. I don't think that's going to have much of a negative impact on this weeks efforts.

It's the south coast meet over in Portsmouth today! Looking out of the window, it appears to be a lovely day weather-wise ... hope it stays that way! We're meeting at three but as I live a stone's throw away across the harbour, I don't need to leave until about 2pm. That'll give me time to pack some clothes, then change my mind and unpack them ... pack some others ... change my mind again and go back to the original ones!!

I'm a bit nervous but excited too ... I keep reminding myself that the people I'll be meeting (although we haven't met in person before) aren't really strangers.

Have a great day everyone!

Back