Throwing myself into SW - food diary

Day 68 (Tuesday, but in advance again)

Breakfast: 4 x breakfast banana muffins (say 3 syns for the banana)

Lunch: Quiche (as yesterday's evening meal), choc fudge alpen light (2.5 syns), banana

Dinner: Bacon, tinned tomato, fried eggs, 2 x fat sausages (9 syns), brown sauce (1 syn)

Snacks: fruit with muller over the top.

I'm absolutely exhausted due to this training course I am on. I've been out of the house for almost 12 hours each day and I'm finding the travelling so arduous and draining. DH, bless him, thought he would surprise me by making my tea which was a cooked breakfast including sausages which was really thoughtful of him and I'm not complaining. I am only just slightly over syns and to be fair I am utterly loathe to count the banana which I put into my breakfast muffins but hey ho, rules iz rules.

I've decided I am going to go off plan tomorrow lunch as I don't have anything cold to take, I don't want another quiche (don't have enough eggs anyway) and there are no reheating facilities, believe it or not. So I am gonna take myself off to a nice local shop and buy a nice butty and then I will get back on plan tomorrow when I get home.

Pretty sure that I will not be getting anywhere near the 3.5lbs I would like to lose anyway - with or without the sandwich - so it just goes to show that I have no control over how much weight I can lose at all!

Last edited:
Day 69

OMG I had the most horrendous back and abdo pain throughout the night which lasted for about 8 hours and left me drained. Less than three weeks into my new job and I'm off sick already. I haven't had any sick before this since December 2011! I don't get poorly but I have never experienced pain like this. GP thinks it might be gallstones and has given me some medicine and said if it happens again I should ask them to refer me for an ultrasound scan. Although he said that I don't need to change my diet (I told him I was on slimming world) I'm too frightened to eat anything today :-(

Breakfast: Nothing - too scared.

Lunch: 2 slices of bread and butter

Dinner: 2 slices of bread and butter

Snacks & Healthy Extras: 2 x alpen lights

Last edited:
Day 70

Breakfast: Banana

Lunch: Speed soup, alpen light

Dinner: Home made meatballs with pasta, alpen light

Syns & Healthy Extras: small cupcake (saying 10 syns as it was only small)

Weigh in this afternoon (i am able to go to the earlier class now I have changed jobs but to be honest I don't think I'll go to that one again because I'm used to my 5.30 classmates now). I am bitterly disappointed because I have only lost a pound despite barely eating yesterday and throwing myself into it wholeheartedly since last week. Any other week and I would have been happy with a pound but it doesn't feel like a fair reward for the amount of effort and enthusiasm I have put in this week. I have completely immersed myself in SW this week visualising my 3.5lbs weight loss, spending my evenings re-reading magazines and going on SW forums and websites but it all feels like one big fat fail.

Secondly it's been 10 weeks now and my average weight loss has only therefore been 1.85lbs, so less than 2lbs a week. If I were slimmer or nearer target I would be thrilled by this, but going by BMI's I am roughly six stone (well, 5st now) overweight. If I am following to plan (yesterday excluded) I shouldn't be losing small amounts.

So, I'm thinking now "what is the point?"

I'm not going to fall off the wagon or go to another slimming club / calorie count whatever because I know I will just be hungry all the time. This plan has transformed my life in that I am not constantly eating and craving crap anymore, and if I do get hungry or want to boredom eat, there is always something low-syn or no-syn that I can turn to. I've given myself 52 weeks to lose 65.5lbs (1.25lbs per week target), so now I've got 42 weeks to lose 47.5lbs (1.13lbs per week average) so it will come off in my target timescale, the weeks seem to be passing quickly yet the pounds seem to be coming off slowly.

1lb off
18.5lbs in total

Hi,

You are doing amazing!! I really enjoyed reading through and here to subscribe :) Keep up the fab work!!

Sarah x

Awh thanks Sarah, that means a lot to me when I was on the verge of throwing in the towel.

But I'm not....so don't worry. Even little drips will eventually fill a bucket LOL (that's the best platitude I have heard so far today and made me giggle).

Day 71

Breakfast: Mugshot, Banana

Lunch: Leftover meatballs and pasta

Dinner: Mac N Cheese

Snacks: 2 x alpen light, 30g cheese, 1 x freddo (5 syns), small piece of chocolate flapjack (not sure how many syns)

Last edited:
Day 72

Breakfast: Banana

Lunch: Big portion of leftover Mac n Cheese

Dinner:3 x chicken drumsticks with Chinese 5 spice, salad, 1tsp (2 syns), 1 onion ring (2 syns) mayonnaise, 50g oven chips (2 syns)

Snacks & Healthy Extras: 1 x alpen light, (cheese on the Mac), a couple of the jelly sweets I made (1 syn)

Falling off wagon items....
Shrimps and bananas 1 each (God, I must have shovelled about 20 into my gob if not more)
40g bag of kettle chups = 9 syns
8 Bon Bon sweets 1 each

44 syns. EEEKKKKKKKK

Last edited:
Day 73

Breakfast: 1 x chicken drumstick, banana

Lunch: more leftover macaroni cheese (it has gone now)

Dinner: Pork, mash (2 syns), 2 yorkshires (4 syns), gravy (2 syns), cabbage and carrots

Healthy Extras & syns: 4 bon bons (4 syns), 2 alpen lights, Freddo (5 syns)

Last edited:
i have started today... breakfast liberte yorghut or however its spelt! 1syn? the fruit one.
banana =free plum =free
x1 cup of tea (milk from HA allowence)

snacks ,coconut ring bic 2syns,x2 jaffa cakes.. think they are 1.5 each? total 3syns.freddo bar 95cals think aprox 5 syns?

lunch ... x2 slices of brown bread HB
x2 teaspoons of light spead=2syns
x1batchelors pasta in sauce cheese and broch/=free i think??
used 100ml milk does that come out of my allowence?

x1 diet coke=free

tea... not eaten yet!

ok its saying jaffa cake is 2.5 each crap! i had x2 from lidil wonder what they are? im going to have to sign up online i cant do it with out the syns calculator!

ok its saying jaffa cake is 2.5 each crap! i had x2 from lidil wonder what they are? im going to have to sign up online i cant do it with out the syns calculator!

I really admire people who can do this diet without attending a class, and without access to the online syns. So many foods that you think are low-syn or no-syn always turn out to give you a nasty shock! And yes, the milk in your pasta will either need to come out of your allowance or you will have to syn it x

Day 74

Breakfast: Mugshot pasta, banana

Lunch: Salad (Mackerel & seafood sticks) with 1 tbsp Kraft (1 syn)

Dinner: Tandoori Chicken pieces, salad, with 1 tbsp Kraft (1 syn) and 2 babybels

Snacks: 1 jelly sweet, 2 x alpen lights, 1 x groovy biscuits (6 syn), packet of mango pieces.

EDIT. Then I fell off the wagon and had some crisps (5 syns) and another groovy biscuit (6 syns)

I think I'm going to come off plan on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as I've been put on another training course. I won't go mad though.

Last edited:
Day 75.

Having second thoughts against coming off plan as I've got no idea what normal eating is. I think I'll just flexi-syn up to 25 per day instead. if I gain, then I gain.

Lunch: Tandoori chicken and seafood sticks salad with kraft dressing (1 syn), Aldi cheese puffs (4 syns), 2 x alpen lights, can of coke (5 syns), 2 babybels

Dinner: fish pie (salmon, prawns, tuna) with garden peas and smash topping (3 syns for Hollandaise sauce)

I would have easily come off plan today as I was craving a Greggs pasty but luckily it tipped it down at lunchtime so I opted against going into town.

Day 76 (Wednesday)

Sorry, can't remember.

The course is incredibly boring and the only way to get through it is by copious amounts of treats. What I had taken for my lunch I ended up eating for my breakfast, so I went to Greggs at lunchtime. Today's food was very similar to tomorrow's.

Day 77 (Thursday)

Breakfast: Ham and Mayo sandwich, banana

Lunch: 2 x Ham & mayo sandwiches in Warburton's thin bread, 1 piece of Rocky Road from Greggs, packet of kettle chips

Afternoon break: 1 x rocky road medley bar

On bus home: 1 x Rocky Road slice from Greggs

Evening meal: Lamb burgers in burger buns (2)

I really wasn't going to go to class because of the very bad week I have had but when I got home I weighed myself on my own scales and they were showing a 1.5lb loss. They are usually consistent with my class scales, give or take a pound, so I decided I would go. I'm glad I did as I lost 1.5lbs (yay me) although it is completely undeserved so I am thinking perhaps last week's good week has caught up with me so perhaps next week will show that I have been really bad. Oh well I'll deal with that when it happens. So, I'm still having tomorrow off as it's the last day of the course but then straight back to it on Saturday morning.

1.5lbs off.
20lbs in total.

Last edited:
I just want to add some positives

1. I am pretty much a size 16 now in most normal shops (I would have had to pick up a 16 and 18 when I started)
2. I fit back into my dark blue jeans now.
3. Denim skirt is now too big (this isn't positive cos I love it).
4. Generally feeling that existing clothes are fitting me better and I look better in them.
5. Size 18 duffel coat is now very loose on me even over a thick jumper.

Day 78 Friday

Pretty much the same as the previous two days.

Day 79 (Saturday)

Anyway I'm back to it today and I aim to have a good nine days before my next lot of training which is followed by a weekend in London. I haven't done too much damage on the scales hopefully as I was in the 14st 8's on my own scales and I was in this bracket on Thursday morning. Anyway as I proved to myself I cannot control how much I lose on a day to day basis I will just get back on it and be beyond reproach.

Breakfast: Mugshot noodles

Lunch: Mackerel salad with Kraft dressing (1 syn) and 2 babybel's

Dinner: Chicken with schwartz packet curry sauce and microwave rice (2 syn) (onion, green pepper and mushroom as super free)

Snacks: 2 x alpen light, banana, strawberry, green & black's Dark Chocolate (9.5 syns) and 2 tsp of Ben & Jerry's ice cram (3 syns)

*was going to do mushy pea sauce but I couldn't get my head around it so bought a sachet instead*

Last edited:
Day 80

Breakfast: Mugshot noodles, banana

Lunch: Leftover Chicken curry and rice (1 syn)

Dinner: Lamb & Gammon, carrots, cabbage, herby potatoes, Yorkshire pudding (2 syns), gravy (2 syns)

Day 81

Lunch: Lamb, gammon, herby potatoes, cabbage, carrots, gravy (1 syn)

Dinner: Creamy chicken & mushroom pasta (from January magazine) - chicken, pasta, bacon & peas as free food, mushrooms & leeks as super free and Quark as a sauce

Snacks: 2 x alpen light bars, 2 x freddo's (10 syns), 30g cheddar

last week has well and truly caught up with me now despite three full, good, 100% days. Scales show I have put a pound on since Thursday morning :-(

Day 82 (Tuesday)

Lunch: Leftover creamy chicken and mushroom pasta

Dinner: 2 x chicken drumsticks, 1 x corn on cob, stir-fried mushrooms, 2 onion rings (5 syns)

Snacks: 2 x babybels, 2 x alpen lights, 1 x freddo (5 syns), 1 x mini Rocky Road (3 syns), 1 x mini chocolate log (3 syns)

Not too bad...but, then I went and blew it by buying a bag of misshaped chocolates and eating nearly everyone in the bag and then some haribo's that DS1 bought for good measure. I bet 65 syns.

Why? Because I wanted the taste of chocolate and I'm an all or nothing girl.
Why? Because I haven't seen the scales going down at all this week so this is putting skewed thinking of "why bother" into my head "might as well get hung for a lamb as a sheep"
Why? Because I know that I have got so many obstacles coming up over the next week (a leaving do on Friday, going out for lunch this afternoon as a treat for DS2 whose school is striking, four days of training hell next week where doing food optimising is impossible for me, followed by a weekend in London) that I'm thinking "why bother" when it's going to be 7th April before I can get any amount of good days in. Terrifyingly I gain quickly and I could have gained half a stone by then!

Day 83 (Wednesday)

Breakfast: Half a slice of toast snaffled from DS2's plate

Lunch: Pizza Hut

Dinner; Not decided yet

Okay, so I'll try and food optimise fully on the good days

26.03.14 - bad day (Pizza hut lunch)
27.03.14 - good day, but weigh-in so don't expect much
28.03.14 - bad day (leaving lunch)
29.03.14 - good day
30.03.14 - good day
31.03.14 - bad day (training)
01.04.14 - bad day (training)
02.04.14 - bad day (training)
03.04.14 - bad day (training _ weigh in)
04.04.14 - good day
05.04.14 - bad day (London)
06.04.14 - bad day (London)
07.04.14 - can start again 100% fully food optimising

Plan: To try and not gain any more than 3.5lbs.

Day 84.

Another really bad diet day. I'm only really posting to keep track of the numbers of days. Today could have and should have been good but I forgot to take my lunch to work and left it on the side. I could have and should have got a salad from somewhere, but nope, I went and got Quiche chips and mayonnaise along with 2 chocolate bars and a packet of crisps to add to the 2 full-sugar cans of pop.

Nope, not going to weigh in. Got weighed on my own scales and looks like I have put 2.5lbs on. I have no intentions of staying to class and am not paying a fiver just to get weighed. So I've texted my consultant and told her I want to book today as a holiday.

I'm going to have a rethink of the next week. I think I will just concentrate on making quick things for myself for evening meals and then do a pasta that I can eat cold for lunch. I can't possibly have another week like this one. Tomorrow can't be helped as I have the leaving lunch to attend but I want to try and have 7.5 good days out of the next 10.

Last edited:
Back