Tipperary wobbles into 2024

I've thought about vegan a few times but for a few reasons haven't. We live in the middle of beef and dairy farms, the farms are all small and family run. One reason many go vegan is due to the slaughter at birth of male cattle but that doesn't happen here. Hereford cattle are bred and the males just get reared for beef instead. I don't drink milk anyway, I eat only a small amount of cheese and I love eggs. They would be my main source of protein but we have our own hens and ducks, they are very pampered and free and produce great eggs, I wouldn't eat any other eggs. I dont eat much meat but when I crave it I eat it as I believe my body needs it and is telling me.

Well its stupid o clock and I'm wide awake again. I thought being sick would make me sleepy but this is the 4th night that I haven't slept. That could be adding to the weight gain.

Anyway, today is day one of another clean 5 days. I need to search the fridge and make some soup...trouble is its full of cake and meringue and very little veg

You're doing great! I'm just about to start a new (free) kickstart programme that was recommended from a vegan baking class I've been to http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/kickstart/kickstart-programs. ..

Even though I've just said I don't feel the need to be vegan I've just signed up to that kickstart too. Thanks for the link, it will be interesting to see how it goes. I'm not sure if I will manage 21 days but don't have any outings or events planned this month

Couldn't sleep at all so up and weighed in at 6am. Today I'm 74.3kg. Starting day 1 of a clean 5 days (again). So no animal fats, no added sugar, no alcohol. Seriously considering vegan, I have some quorn mince and chicken in the freezer so need to check if they have egg, though I won't get upset with a small amount in it. Also will need to figure out what to do with our hens eggs if I'm not eating them.

Can't decide whether to make Ribollita soup (beans and tomato) or a bean chilli for lunch. I have some wholewheat pitta breads in the freezer left from a cookery class. I'd love to have the energy to go for a cycle today, I'll wait until daylight and see what the weather is like. Porridge is cooking slowly.

Good luck with the kickstart programme Tippy. I've loads of vegan recipe sites I can direct you to if you're interested X

@Tibbs thanks, the site from @fit4hols has lots but some are a bit American. I have lots of pulses and grains in stock anyway and will make soups. I won't be eating many salads though, much too cold.

Oh poor thing, i was awake at silly o'clock too but managed to get back to sleep for a bit.

The kickstart thing sounds good - what soup did you decide on? Funnily enough in the wee small hours I was thinking of doing much the same - green smoothies, soups and then a proper evening meal but going light on the meat. Goodbye pizza, so long chocolate, and all the other cr*pola I've been shovelling down for the last two years!

Haven't decided yet, thinking of going for a walk. You can have pizza on the kickstart, just no cheese on it

Well made the ribollita soup. I checked the quorn and is has free range egg whites. I'm not going to freak out about that and will use them until it is gone. I was going to make chilli but when I checked the freezer I only had the meatballs and chicken pieces so made a sort of chilli with the quorn chicken pieces and some kidney beans.
Just been for a 4km walk with Zara, 5.6kph so not too bad.
Starving now so going to have some soup. I know its still early but I had breakfast at 7am.I'm hoping to have a nap and then stay up later tonight and sleep properly

I didn't quite have a nap but did doze for about 20 minutes watching TV. I went for a 4km walk this morning and even managed to go for a cycle this afternoon. I didn't think in was up to it but didn't rush it and got the exercise done. I need to get serious if I am going to be any sort of respectable size for 50, the weeks are rushing by.
I've been watching All Stars Project Runway and my fav designer from all the editions is on it, Uli Herzer. So I have promised myself either a Uli dress or a Diane Von Furstenberg one if I get to a good size...that's an expensive promise to myself.

Morning all, awake at 5am but didn't get up until 6:30am. Though I went to sleep at 10:30pm and did actually sleep.

Weighed in and am 200g down but still more than I was last week. Still trying though...panicking now that I will be huge for my birthday, also freaking out that we haven't made any plans what to do.
I know weigh in every day may be overload for some people but I really need it to keep me on track.

You've been doing well on the eating and exercise front and by switching to vegan you'll see a big difference in weight loss. Whenever I go back to veggie I always either lose really slow or gain.. Dairy is my main offender as it includes chocolate!.. And bread! You've more self control and discipline than me so sure you'll be buying a beautiful and smaller size dress for your special day. X

Thanks, butter and cheese are my problems....my comfort foods. I will miss eggs and may still have a poached egg on a cold day, I don't have any ethical issues with eggs as they are our own. In fact I don't have an ethical problem with most if not all the food produced in Ireland.
I'm going to town today and will see if I can get some organic TVP. I do have a huge ethical problem with GM soya and the clearing of the rainforest to grow it si will only ever use organic soya products. Even our hens get organic food as the regular one has soya in it.
I also need some rye bread and avocado's.
I make a really good pumpkin and chickpea curry and usually finish it with sour cream or yougurt, has anyone any suggestions for a good vegan alternative. I would also like to make some wholewheat pastry and I normally use butter. Lots of the margarines have fish oils....again looking for suggestions for a plant based fat that doesn't taste rank...would coconut oil work?

Try looking here https://veganuary.com/products/
wholenewmom.com
I use vitalite spread, it's vegan. I don't use any of the dairy alternatives as I've a problem with gums & carrageenan so can't help with that.
Totally agree with all the GM's in our food and the destruction of the rainforest..I'm always banging on about that to the kids.
Would like your curry recipe please if you have time. X

Will get the curry recipe later. It just occured to me I could add some coconut cream to it, its just a swirl to make it richer.
Just in from a cycle, I wasn't keen on my porridge this morning and was looking forward to a bowl of ribollita when I got in. However I could smell it when i got home as darling husband had heat it and had it for his breakfast. There was a dribble left so I added some beans from the chicken chilli and more water and heated that
I've to go to town now and will browse the health food shop and Tesco and look for inspiration.
I thought I had nothing on this week but darling husband has reminded me we are both registered to go to a conference this Thursday in Dublin, f#ck a full day sitting in a hotel with 3 meals provided.

Back from town and did some vegan shopping.
I've had a "wrap pizza" with grilled courgette and aubergine, 2 slices vegan cheese and a quorn sasauge. The quorn sausage tasted much better than the Cauldron ones do but had a strange taste that I'm not sure of. It was like I could taste mushroom from it which I never have from other quorn products. The pizza needed the cheese or sausage but not both I think. I'm full now
I bought some more nakd bars, I was always confused why they are in two places in the one aisle. I didn't realise they have two different type of bars, the raw bars with date and cashew and the breakfast bars with porridge and raw fruit. It was the breakfast bars with the porridge that I like the best
Doing some knitting now. I was going to go for a short walk but was reminded that the knitting group is on this evening. It is the 60th birthday of one member and there may be only three of us so I need to go. How do I politely avoid cake.

We've got some lovely vegan cafe's over my way now with lovely things on the menu and usually devine cakes.
I prefer Linda McCartney sausages to any other (red onion ones or chorizo ones) though have never put them on a pizza. I use a little violife cheese or sprinkle on some Engevita yeast flakes..which I think is the nicest (savoury cheese taste)
Holland & Barratts have a lovely range of cheeses..they had one with cranberry in too so you could do a nice cheese board. A lot of people say the Fry's sausages are really nice but I haven't tried them. You can also buy these in Tesco.
In fact Tesco has the best range of all our supermarkets..they had the new LM cocktail sausage & mini sausage rolls in and in their own range have "ham & cheese" Christmas trees and stars. I like the idea of being able to buy party food on occasion instead of making it all.
Some vegan stuff can be very heavy on calories X

Back