Too much exercising?

Jodieboo

Gold Member
Hi all.

Yesterday I joined a gym (all go wooo!! :D). I haven't been over doing myself, yesterday I only managed a 15 minute work out before swimming, 10 minutes on a treadmill and 5 on a cross trainer, then half hour swimming.

Today I have done a little more, 10 minutes each on the treadmill, cross trainer, rowing machine and exercise bike then swimming for 20 minutes.

I'm not very active outside of the gym so I'm thinking that it won't affect me so much that i'll gain. I don't think they grasp body magic?

Many thanks guys :cool:

Last edited:
I found this, so I now do only 2 machines, so cross trainer and bike one day, then bike and rower the next. Aldo try some free weights, squats or multi gym to work your other muscles.
Don'r let your body get in a rut and you will find the weight loss will continue.

If you diet but don't exercise, your body loses both muscle and fat.

If you exercise, you maintain your muscle and lose pure fat. This means your losses may slow down a touch (particularly as when you start to exercise for the first time, your muscles can retain some water as they repair). But it's sooooo important to maintain your muscle when slimming because it keeps your metabolism high and makes you lovely and toned! Win-win situation! :D

OMG! Your friends have bought into the 1lb of muscle weighs more than 1lb of fat nonsense. Think about it this way. You habe 10lbs of fat around you tummy. If you exercise regularly, Your fat will turn to muscle. The muscle take up less room as its leaner, so your waist will be slimmer. Its possible you could weigh the same, but you would be healthier, and as above, your metabolism will be faster. Allowing you to eat a bit more!

Honestly, i can't believe someone is telling you to reduce your exercise. Thats properly properly mental.

If you diet but don't exercise, your body loses both muscle and fat.

If you exercise, you maintain your muscle and lose pure fat. This means your losses may slow down a touch (particularly as when you start to exercise for the first time, your muscles can retain some water as they repair). But it's sooooo important to maintain your muscle when slimming because it keeps your metabolism high and makes you lovely and toned! Win-win situation! :D

thanks for this I joined a gym last week and did 3 workouts and dropped from losing 5lb the previous 2 weeks to a lb:eek: which i was a little disappointed with.
But that makes so much sense :D

Didn't put me off thougth cos planning another session in the morning :D

thanks again xx

Even if it slows down slightly initially you will find that even when you stop exercising your body continues burning off the calories. Good luck and keep us up to date with your progress

What is it with negative friends....jeez.

You are exercising, pushing oxygen to the most oxygen hungry muscle in your body, your heart, therefore you are doing one of the best things you can do daily for your health.

Well done and keep it up...oh and if you feel like doing 2 hours a day, so be it, exercise is fab for both a healthy mind and body, just remember to warm up and cool down and bobs yer uncle and fanny's yer aunt :D xx

I just want to add I did crosstrainer, exercise bike, rowing machine and treadmill. - Forget the fat v muscle argument for a minute as they MIGHT be an issue later.

Meanwhile, enjoy the ride and watch the fat literally melt from you because at this stage, exercise and movement is what you're after.

The crosstrainer (if I'm anything to go by) will kill you, but make you stronger for it and lose those inches. The rest of the apparatus will help with strengthening different areas as well as cardiovascular movement and improvement.

Try 20 minues on each with a brief breather in between each 20 minutes and take on plenty of water.

Guranteed winner:cool:

I have started doing a more intense programme in the gym, last week I lost 1/2lb & this week looks like it might be a STS or even a gain (damn you sneeky peeks!).

The amazing thing is though I have finally got into a smaller pair of jeans & a watch which didn't fit 2 weeks ago. I have muscles which are getting nice & firm so I am going to try not to worry about the scales for a few weeks.

Thanks guys. I've been building it up slowly. Yesterdays gym session was:

Treadmill - 15 mins (10 mins fast paced walk, 5 mins incline fast walk)
Cross trainer - 10 mins
Exercise bike - 15 mins
Rowing machine - 10 mins

I'm hoping to build it up to 20 mins on each, 5 times a week, Sunday and Monday rest days. Swimming after each session too.

Lets hope the scales will show how much work i'm putting in!

Looks good but try to incorporate some weight training too - even give up 15 min cardio for weights - squats with weights is ideal for fat burn as you are using two of the biggest muscles.

But honestly, don't worry too much about it, you are going in the right direction, give it a few weeks and re-assess your routine xx

Are you monitoring your heart rate when you're exercising? If you are looking to loose weight through exercise i think that some of your cardio workout needs to be at a lower heart rate - the machines usually have a little graphs showing it. I have recently started the gym & i am building it up, but at the moment i'm doing 20 mins pure cardio (go as fast/hard as possible), and 10 mins fat burn, which adjusts the resistence to keep my heart rate in the fat burning zone. Plus weights to get stronger.

The cardio is definitelty worth doing still, its good for your heart & burns off carbs.

Are you monitoring your heart rate when you're exercising? If you are looking to loose weight through exercise i think that some of your cardio workout needs to be at a lower heart rate - the machines usually have a little graphs showing it. I have recently started the gym & i am building it up, but at the moment i'm doing 20 mins pure cardio (go as fast/hard as possible), and 10 mins fat burn, which adjusts the resistence to keep my heart rate in the fat burning zone. Plus weights to get stronger.

The cardio is definitelty worth doing still, its good for your heart & burns off carbs.

This is not correct. The graphs on the treadmill show fat burning zones as a percentage of total calories burnt. If you are going slower, you will burn fewer calories, but a higher percentage of fat.

e.g. if you do 30 minutes of low-intensity aerobic exercise, you'll burn approximately 200 calories. About 120 of those, or 60 percent, come from fat. However, exercising for the same amount of time at a high intensity will burn approximately 400 calories, and 35 percent of them, or 140 calories, will come from stored fat.

JemmaBe said:
This is not correct. The graphs on the treadmill show fat burning zones as a percentage of total calories burnt. If you are going slower, you will burn fewer calories, but a higher percentage of fat.

e.g. if you do 30 minutes of low-intensity aerobic exercise, you'll burn approximately 200 calories. About 120 of those, or 60 percent, come from fat. However, exercising for the same amount of time at a high intensity will burn approximately 400 calories, and 35 percent of them, or 140 calories, will come from stored fat.

Ah right. New at all this exercising lark so thanks for clarifying. I did wonder myself how a lower intensity could burn more fat.

I suppose the question really us, can i do as long at a higher intensity or not. I might burn more cals if i did, but don't think i could go for as long! Presumably the fitter you get the higher resistence you need to get your heart rate going & the more calories you burn?

Another good idea is to do high intensity interval training - I do this on the treadmill everyday which is usually 3 minute fast paced walk (speed 5.5), then jog/run for 3 minutes (speed 7.8-8) and keep going like that for however long you feel. I tend to do 45 minutes. I have seen very good inch loss doing this xx

You're all making me feel very inadequate. I'm doing 3 x 45 mins sessions a week in the gym. I cannot for one second think of doing 20 mins, let along 45 mins on one piece of apparatus - I'd be bored long before I was knackered I reckon. Plus, how do you fit it all in with work, kids etc?!?

Ive been living in a hotel for the past 4 months and the gym is in-house so has been much easier :) but before that I used to just force myself to take an hour out - used to walk around 3 miles a day and do 30 day shred when I couldn't commit to a gym. I don't have kids but I can see how difficult it would be to fit in, anyhow 3 times a week is great xx

kingleds said:

You are right with what you say to an extent! The little graphs tend to show the optimum heart rate for fat burning :)

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

You're all making me feel very inadequate. I'm doing 3 x 45 mins sessions a week in the gym. I cannot for one second think of doing 20 mins, let along 45 mins on one piece of apparatus - I'd be bored long before I was knackered I reckon. Plus, how do you fit it all in with work, kids etc?!?

Got to say, I'm with you on that, Kingleds! I tend to do a step class (1 hour) and two sessions of around 30-45 minutes a week in the gym. I don't have time for longer, and I wouldn't really want to either, to be honest! As I tend to gym it in the evening after work, I wouldn't have time to eat my dinner, relax and have a nice long bubble bath if I did longer than that :D

who_la_hoop said:
Got to say, I'm with you on that, Kingleds! I tend to do a step class (1 hour) and two sessions of around 30-45 minutes a week in the gym. I don't have time for longer, and I wouldn't really want to either, to be honest! As I tend to gym it in the evening after work, I wouldn't have time to eat my dinner, relax and have a nice long bubble bath if I did longer than that :D

Hmm - think I may have found my twin :)

Back