TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

OK, I have been bad, but thats all over now

who needs a kick in the rump?

I've spent two days on myself and I'm in the mood! lol

Just found this thread. Love the honesty. I have wanted to say something since joining this site and this seems to be the place to say it. What is the point of weighing yourself every day? It is a symptom of a obsession. I know some people are weighing at home rather than at a slimming club, but do you really need scales in the house? I have thrown my scales away as I have been obsessed in the past, this has made me far more relaxed and I have still managed to loose 9lbs in 4 weeks. Also, I have 2 teenage girls and I don't want them to get obsessed. Rant over :)

mrstaylor said:
Just found this thread. Love the honesty. I have wanted to say something since joining this site and this seems to be the place to say it. What is the point of weighing yourself every day? It is a symptom of a obsession. I know some people are weighing at home rather than at a slimming club, but do you really need scales in the house? I have thrown my scales away as I have been obsessed in the past, this has made me far more relaxed and I have still managed to loose 9lbs in 4 weeks. Also, I have 2 teenage girls and I don't want them to get obsessed. Rant over :)

Couldn't agree more! I keep telling people to throw the scales away, but they never take kindly to it, lol. I became obsessed with weighing myself when I was 20 (long, long time ago!), and it's not healthy. xx

TracyGWill said:
Couldn't agree more! I keep telling people to throw the scales away, but they never take kindly to it, lol. I became obsessed with weighing myself when I was 20 (long, long time ago!), and it's not healthy. xx

V true I threw mine last week, jumped on them on the way to the toilet every time... Worst thing is they weren't even right :/ just torturing ourselves even though we have even brain cells to know weight goes up and down throughout the day and week x

bang on girl, keep ranting away, hit the keyboard harder, it burns calories

Honesty is absolutely your best tool, I had a wobble this weekend and gained 2lb, I'm happy to tell everyone, I'm just human, but I am back on track now with my usual strong resolve intact

I know the well meaning posts are girls being girls, but I can't cope with sympathy and empathy, I wanted someone to call me a disgusting fat bStard and get me to pull my finger out.

I'd never go that far here, but in the end I did it myself, tough love WORKS, you need not apply, if you do, prepare for some straight talking

It appears for what ever reason some people thrive on a bit of a kick in the rear-end and I'm glad to provide it, in doing so it reinforces my own resolve, I will always try very hard to practice what I preach

I am now back at my halfway point and driving downwards, GAME ON

here's a tip my Tough Lovers

I really REALLY struggled on Monday, I find the first day or so really really hard after a lapse - yes I've had a couple of up's amongst the downs!

You need some psychology on your side (and I'm strictly amateur at this!) BUT

IF you have a wobble and a gain, YOU MUST be strict for two days. Banish thoughts of carrying on cheating. Beat them, kill them, walk them off. Whatever you can do.

This is very very hard.

I had "quit" thoughts running in my mind by the minute. And I'm pretty strong-minded. The fat demon was chipping away at me....

Yesterday was easier, but still hard. I had an extra snack a jack. But I walked and they are 50 cals ea. This balances

Today I weighed. My resolve is back. I am pre-weekend weight. I am now in the saddle and it's amazing how less hungry I am already, knowing my resolve is working

So you must be TOUGH on yourself.

I suggest you may need to weigh after two days to give yourself that psychological boost. I need that, I need to know my efforts aren't in vain

Once thats on board, we can get on with life

this is not medical advice, this is what, this week, worked for me

Downward people....

Im loving that post, it takes me a good few days of strictness for me to get over the fail mindset so I totally identify!

As for the scales, the only time I weigh myself at home is just before I go to WI at class. Might seem weird but it's so I am not shocked in public. Once I was 110% and gained several pounds. I was so shocked I was biting back tears and it was humiliating to be so upset in front of everyone. This way, I can psych myself up for the result. My scales aren't that accurate, so it's just a ballpark figure :)

I am overweight because I ate too much and exercised too little. No other reason!! Just weighed in today 2lbs off :) 11lbs in 5 weeks.

Rod the Bass said:
bang on girl, keep ranting away, hit the keyboard harder, it burns calories

Honesty is absolutely your best tool, I had a wobble this weekend and gained 2lb, I'm happy to tell everyone, I'm just human, but I am back on track now with my usual strong resolve intact

I know the well meaning posts are girls being girls, but I can't cope with sympathy and empathy, I wanted someone to call me a disgusting fat bStard and get me to pull my finger out.

I'd never go that far here, but in the end I did it myself, tough love WORKS, you need not apply, if you do, prepare for some straight talking

It appears for what ever reason some people thrive on a bit of a kick in the rear-end and I'm glad to provide it, in doing so it reinforces my own resolve, I will always try very hard to practice what I preach

I am now back at my halfway point and driving downwards, GAME ON

Game definitely on! I need 3lbs this week to reach my first goal of 1st in 6wks!

Just checking in -6lbs this week making a total of 19 off now to diet/exercise the other 135lbs off!!

I'M SO DOING THIS :)

Ok Mr Rod I am ready to bow down and take whatever verbal abuse you want to throw at me as I really do need a kick up the bum please sir!
Been on SW plan now for 7 weeks and have lost 1 stone 3.5 lbs as of this evenings weigh in when I lost 1 lb, last week it was 1/2lb ... where and what am I doing wrong. I need to stand up, stop feeling sorry for myself and buckle down to getting on with this flipping diet, or what is the point of paying each week to be a slimming club member, I just may as well set fire to this paper money each week ... OMG have I just given myself a bit of tough love ! ... LOL However please feel free to point me in the right direction, all suggestions of how to get there will be greatly appreciated!!!

Just checking in -6lbs this week making a total of 19 off now to diet/exercise the other 135lbs off!!

I'M SO DOING THIS :)

you ARE so doing this, thats awesome again

you are now becoming my inspiration, you are cooking on gas sister!

Nail that sucker, Flump, game on

Ok Mr Rod I am ready to bow down and take whatever verbal abuse you want to throw at me as I really do need a kick up the bum please sir!
Been on SW plan now for 7 weeks and have lost 1 stone 3.5 lbs as of this evenings weigh in when I lost 1 lb, last week it was 1/2lb ... where and what am I doing wrong. I need to stand up, stop feeling sorry for myself and buckle down to getting on with this flipping diet, or what is the point of paying each week to be a slimming club member, I just may as well set fire to this paper money each week ... OMG have I just given myself a bit of tough love ! ... LOL However please feel free to point me in the right direction, all suggestions of how to get there will be greatly appreciated!!!

looks like you have started your own arse-kicking already!

Don's waste your money, it a precious resource you could put towards a decent pair of trainers to take you WALKING 2 miles a night - this will take you 40 minutes at a brisk pace, burn 200 calories and aid your digestion. Don't tell me you haven't got time, you have, you will make the time, Corrie (or whatever you watch) is repeated lots and it's shyte anyway. Corrie will not help you achieve your goal, you and I will.

the good news is you are losing and generally all is well, I assume you want to lose a little more weekly and are disappointed with the past two weeks? ? Did you cheat? Honest? Have a look at yourself in the mirror, right in the eye and say "I did not cheat".

I suggest you limit your ambition to 2lbs per week this is sustainable in the long run. I honestly don't think you are doing anything wrong, currently your loss rate is 2.42lb per week averaged out. Perfect. Look at the average over 7 weeks and you should be pleased! I would be and many others would be as well

I am taking great pains to actually slow mine down a little, bizarre as this may seem, I averaged 3.33lbs per week over the first 12 weeks, because despite be 41 and overweight I am relatively fit and strong and used to exercise hiking up and down cliffs!

I still do this and more exercise besides. I would like you to promise to do some walking 3 times a week, this will keep your drop average WEEKLY where you want it, in the 2lb range.

Plan your MONTH, sounds bizarre, but then broken down into weekly chunks, it becomes easy and you can also head off potentially difficult social arrangments, or at least attempt to mitigate the damage. Plan to lose 10lbs in a month.

You don't need tough love, you need a little encouragement to exercise I think and a few ideas about planning your next moves - do this in the next 48 hours and then report back in with how you are going to sustain the losses you have made and keep making those same strides.

you should consider putting the exercise onto the same planner and every time you complete a session, a BIG RED CROSS goes through it - very visible and very inspirational

toughie out

Last edited:
You are so in my head.:D

I went shopping yesterday with my eldest and I so wanted some sweets but he started telling me how bad they are(we are both Paleo eaters so sweets are out) and then I heard you.
Today I nipped into the store and went down the sweet aisle.Stood there looking and heard you will regret it.Then you will have to report to Rod.:D:)

It actually feels good to walk out the shop knowing little things like that can stop you from having things you don't really need.:)

I'm glad this thread is working for you, it goes both ways you know!

I can't bear the thought of failing when my words are designed to kick you all in the rear!

but it won't work if people don't post, so thanks all, looks like we got a successful little spin-off club going here....

absolutely 100% agree getting fit!! you understand perfectly that all the "don't worry" posts do is tell people it's OK - yes we're all human, but that means we can control our hands and mouths and do something about it

I've lapsed, first to admit it, but i won't admit it's OK. It's far from OK.

you DO need to worry about those things, they make the difference between a STS or 0.5lb a week (which is thoroughly demoralising) and 2lb which is brilliant!

No, no, no, Rod a loss of 0.5lb is not "thoroughly demoralising" it is still weight off. All losses are good, this isn't a competition it's all about making simple changes that you can maintain for life. The reason most diets fail is because we go on them, and then at target we think "woohoo glad that's over let's go back to how we ate before we went on a diet". And we all know what happens then.

When I was pregnant the first time all I could think about was the 9 months and the birth being the end of the journey. How crazy does that sound!! It was the beginning of a lifetimes journey. The same as weight loss, the target weight isn't the end of the journey.

No, no, no, Rod a loss of 0.5lb is not "thoroughly demoralising" it is still weight off. All losses are good, this isn't a competition it's all about making simple changes that you can maintain for life. The reason most diets fail is because we go on them, and then at target we think "woohoo glad that's over let's go back to how we ate before we went on a diet". And we all know what happens then.

all good points Tranqs, but I find a STS demoralising. Honest.

and I see my lifestyle change as a competition against myself, especially the weight loss phase. thats the way I do it, I've set my goals and I don't personally subscribe to "when it happens" or "as long as it takes" cos how long is a piece of string?

We all do it differently and view the same task in a million different ways.

This thread is designed to make people think about the small things that DO make a difference and for everyone (including me) that suffers from the frailty of being a human

Back