Weasey's Re-Feed

So today I went to another personal trainer (I shall call him PT2) and had a good workout. He was good - encouraging me to do stuff. He has done personal training with my hubby so we have some common ground... He hated the idea of the diet I did and he brought it up during the session. I told him that we'd have to agree to disagree as to whether it was the healthiest way to lose weight but the fact is that I wouldn't have cut down on my food and exercised at 19 stone - here I am 9 stone lighter - and able to continue from here. I don't believe I would have got here through any other route. We both agreed that now is the time to concentrate on staying here rather than worry about the journey so far. I actually have a lot of respect for him as he refused to train with me whilst I was on the diet as he felt that it wasn't healthy. Whether he is right or wrong he turned down work because he didn't feel that it would be good for me and I respect him for that. I think he was rather surprised by how much I could do (haha!!!).

After the PT2 session I went to the gym, swam two lengths, sat in the steam room and then had a lovely shower. It's a hard life! Now I'm sitting in a coffee shop (for a change) and considering taking the afternoon off...

So - exercise plans this week...
- Mon - PT2
- Tues - nothing - busy working all day - booo
- Wed - nothing - busy working again - although at least the working involves lots of coffee drinking...
- Thurs - PT1 (including fitness testing) - followed by lunch and/or shopping with my mother in law - does that count as work?
- Fri - PT1 plus Yoga-Pilates class
- Sat - nothing - watching other people exercise at a Muay Thai event
- Sun - aqua zumba class

It's so nice to see how confident you are. I don't know how you were before with your confidence levels so can't comment on that but it is nice to read you are doing so much for yourself. I struggle with giving back myself so for week one I'm dong a lot more for me than I have ever done before! My nails, going to put makeup up on a for a change, get my eyebrows tidied etc! Lol

With regards to your PT, he is good to have turned down business before. I respect him for that. But yes, it's best to agree to disagree as some people just won't want to understand this type of a diet!

sonia doll said:
It's so nice to see how confident you are. I don't know how you were before with your confidence levels so can't comment on that but it is nice to read you are doing so much for yourself. I struggle with giving back myself so for week one I'm dong a lot more for me than I have ever done before! My nails, going to put makeup up on a for a change, get my eyebrows tidied etc! Lol

With regards to your PT, he is good to have turned down business before. I respect him for that. But yes, it's best to agree to disagree as some people just won't want to understand this type of a diet!

Definitely need to up the 'me' time. I didn't use to look after my body at all so even just putting moisturiser on was a big thing for me!

To be fair I've always been self-confident with work - and am now confident in personal situations too. PT2 has been trained in nutrition and so has his approach and beliefs. I happen to disagree with him. I have been in ketosis for most of the last year and felt fantastic on it. I'm the one with exoerience in this area. When I first became diabetic (around 3 years ago) the medical community told me to eat more carbohydrates - now they know that's the wrong thing to do. I think they'll discover that ketosis isn't the terrible thing that the western medical profession believes. There's a Horizon on tonight which talks about having only 600 calories 2 days a week - no idea whether or not it's about ketosis but I'm interested to watch it and see.

Weasey that sounds a bit like Judd. I couldn't do Judd as the constant chopping and changing would put my head in a spin!
I'm very impressed with the exercise. I've still not found my 'I love exercise' feeling but I've not done a lot to be honest. Walking the dog in a bit to try and correct the multitude of sins I have committed against my stomach this weekend- I knew this would happen but I suppose by saying that I've allowed it to happen. I feel bloody awful for it though and haven't felt so crap since before I started Slim and Save. Ughhh! I've got the naughty food out of my system I think. It feels like my time on S&S has cleansed my system and this has made me appreciate what the naughty food does to it.

Saddlebag said:
Weasey that sounds a bit like Judd. I couldn't do Judd as the constant chopping and changing would put my head in a spin!
I'm very impressed with the exercise. I've still not found my 'I love exercise' feeling but I've not done a lot to be honest. Walking the dog in a bit to try and correct the multitude of sins I have committed against my stomach this weekend- I knew this would happen but I suppose by saying that I've allowed it to happen. I feel bloody awful for it though and haven't felt so crap since before I started Slim and Save. Ughhh! I've got the naughty food out of my system I think. It feels like my time on S&S has cleansed my system and this has made me appreciate what the naughty food does to it.

I'm not sure if it's JUDD - I think it's 2 consecutive days a week but I'm not sure - we'll see when the programme is shown. I think JUDD is every other day isn't it?

We all have problems when it comes to refeeding. The eating issues we had before are still there - we just need to spend time listening to our bodies and improvng our relationship with food - but that will take time. There is no 'naughty' food or 'bad' food - it's all just food. Some of the food is more helpful to our goals than others so I prefer to think of 'helpful' and 'unhelpful' foods. There's less judgement in having some 'unhelpful' food than having some 'bad' food. Judgement isn't our friend - it makes us feel bad and turn to food for comfort. Not an ideal scenario...

I don't love exercise - but I am enjoying feeling fitter. It also gives me something to measure and see improvements in which relaces the weight loss every week - new targets. I feel like exercise could really be the key to me keeping the weight off - and it's a bot of a surprise as I've always hated it before...

You're right Weasey. Unhelpful foods I've eaten this weekend are lots of butter, some crisps, beer (only 2 little bottles though), bread (again, only 2 slices as a salad sandwich), fudge, chocolate, biscuits... I've been cooking all weekend, really enjoyed myself but I made the fudge for a friend and ate the leftovers, made the biscuits and ate them all (about 6 oat biscuits) :sigh: But what's made me feel worst is the lamb and mashed potatoes I had last night, I was entertaining so it was a one off dinner but it made me feel so huge- it must be all the fat in the lamb.
Helpful foods have been fat free Greek yoghurt, fruit, veg, porridge and still on skimmed milk and sugar free soft drinks. It's been a stark reminder that my greediness is still ever present and now I have to grasp it with both hands and control it. I control me, not food, so back to healthy tomorrow and continue fuelling my body not just feeding it.

Think you're right about Judd. I'll watch Horizon to see what they've got to say about it- hopefully it won't be a VLCD bashing.
It's great that you've got your head around the exercise thing. I'd love to be able to set a goal- to be able to do 'the tough guy' challenge would be amazing but I just do not know where to start. I always set my goals too high!

weasey said:
Definitely need to up the 'me' time. I didn't use to look after my body at all so even just putting moisturiser on was a big thing for me!

To be fair I've always been self-confident with work - and am now confident in personal situations too. PT2 has been trained in nutrition and so has his approach and beliefs. I happen to disagree with him. I have been in ketosis for most of the last year and felt fantastic on it. I'm the one with exoerience in this area. When I first became diabetic (around 3 years ago) the medical community told me to eat more carbohydrates - now they know that's the wrong thing to do. I think they'll discover that ketosis isn't the terrible thing that the western medical profession believes. There's a Horizon on tonight which talks about having only 600 calories 2 days a week - no idea whether or not it's about ketosis but I'm interested to watch it and see.

Thanks for mentioning it. I've set it to record tonight. Gosh Weasey, you sound like a doctor!

So put on a couple of lbs this week - I've been working out really hard and not drinking enough so I'm putting it down to that. Let's see what next week brings...

So today I have had a session of personal training and been to a yoga-pilates class. Am really enjoying the exercising (which I never thought I would ever say!) and may go to the gym tomorrow morning before going off to watch other people being active at a Muay Thai event.

At my LL class last night one of the other women said that she keeps a journal with her and when she is tempted to eat something off plan she writes in her journal about what she's thinking and how she's feeling. I actually think that could work for me. If I'm tempted I could write down why and what by and how I'm feeling. By the time I've done that I'd be in adult mode (ie analysing rather an emotional) and the craving should have gone. Of course I couldn't abide carrying a journal everywhere but could keep a note on my iPad. I did it this morning actually. I couldn't be bothered to make the oatmeal so was considering having a bar for brekkie. Not a problem in itself - but I often have problems stopping at just one bar - also the reason I wanted to do it was because I couldn't be bothered - and I have made a commitment to take more care of my body and that includes doing things when I don't feel like it. I wrote it all in a note on my iPad and by the end of it was quite happy to get up and make my oatmeal. Could this be the key for me to avoiding binges and being more mindful? I think it might really help.

Having chatted to my hubby I have decided to go back to 4 packs for a couple of weeks (well - 4 packs and an apple on those days that I work out!). This will let me lose some of the weight I've added but also will reset my system and let me start my refeed again. I'm having some tummy problems and am having difficulty working out what's causing it - this should let me introduce things one at a time and help me find out what the problem is...

That sounds like a good plan, Weasey. What did you think about the Horizon program on fasting a couple of days a week? I found it really interesting, especially now I am finally got my head around starting a VLCD! I can definitely see myself using packs like a couple of days a week when I am at goal, partly to regulate my eating the rest of the week and keep myself focussed on what I am putting into my body.
This is the first time I have posted in your diary, can I just say what an amazing inspiration you are! I could just look at your sig with a big smile of my face for ages - you did it and are still doing it!

Thanks zeke! I am amazed at how well this has worked for me. I have been obese or morbidly obese for my whole adult life before now so it's a huge change!

I found the Horizon programme very interesting. The 2 days fasting a week does sound really attractive - and I firmly believe in the health benefits of VLCDs. However, I have a distorted relationship with food. I'm worried that if I took that approach I would be giving myself permission to eat whatever I wanted in the other 5 days... If the 2 days fasting kept my weight where I wanted it then people may say that's ok. But I want to work on my relationship with food and improve it. Also, I'm diabetic and am worried that if I went mad in those 5 days my blood sugar would suffer. I guess what I'm saying is that I believe in the science and I think it could be a really powerful tool but that for me there are some potential downsides. I'm going to think a little bit about incorporating it into my longer term plan along with the therapy and the exercise... I would like to do so - as long as I can avoid the eating anything I want for the other 5 days!

Dukan has a plan for the first phase following weight loss (which lasts for 5 days for every lb lost - about 2 years for me). Amongst other things he suggests that one day every week all you eat is protein. Although it isn't calorie restricted it is obviously carb restricted and I wonder whether this has a similar effect.

I firmly believe that carbs are evil (!) and I want to reduce them wherever possible.

Good plan Weasey, you've got to do what works for you and I can see that taking back the control by going back on the packs will give you an excellent boost.
It's interesting that you've had tummy problems- I did when I came off the packets. I still get tummy ache when I eat something 'new'. Which is good, because usually the new things are terribly unhelpful...

I guess it's not surprising that I have stomach promlems introducing new things - I was on the diet for a good 10 months for so. Normally it settles down after a few days but I have been having problems for a few weeks now and don't know what it is so it's time for a clean slate and start again!

weasey said:
Thanks zeke! I am amazed at how well this has worked for me. I have been obese or morbidly obese for my whole adult life before now so it's a huge change!

I found the Horizon programme very interesting. The 2 days fasting a week does sound really attractive - and I firmly believe in the health benefits of VLCDs. However, I have a distorted relationship with food. I'm worried that if I took that approach I would be giving myself permission to eat whatever I wanted in the other 5 days... If the 2 days fasting kept my weight where I wanted it then people may say that's ok. But I want to work on my relationship with food and improve it. Also, I'm diabetic and am worried that if I went mad in those 5 days my blood sugar would suffer. I guess what I'm saying is that I believe in the science and I think it could be a really powerful tool but that for me there are some potential downsides. I'm going to think a little bit about incorporating it into my longer term plan along with the therapy and the exercise... I would like to do so - as long as I can avoid the eating anything I want for the other 5 days!

Dukan has a plan for the first phase following weight loss (which lasts for 5 days for every lb lost - about 2 years for me). Amongst other things he suggests that one day every week all you eat is protein. Although it isn't calorie restricted it is obviously carb restricted and I wonder whether this has a similar effect.

I firmly believe that carbs are evil (!) and I want to reduce them wherever possible.

Oh Weasey boy do I know what you mean!!! For 3 weeks I tried JUDDD where you fast every other day and on the other days you eat exactly what you want. I was eating aprox 2,000- 2,200 calories on those days and I started eating crap that I hadn't eaten in months - namely evil carbs. This has totally ruined my relationship with food as now, I feel I have no control :-( I've put on 20lbs and I'm struggling to get this under control.

My advise for anyone wanting to try a period of fasting is to ensure that you are still really sensible on your non fasting days and not use them as an excuse to eat freely!! This is easy to say because after fasting you feel you deserve a treat but it really does defeat the object lol.

I'm no expert and I believe that ultimately one has to do what is right for them. I just hope that I find my personal solution soon.

Thanks for that Lose2Win - it really des reiterate to me the dangers of that type of approach for me whilst I still have a distorted relationship with food. Hope you find what you need soon.

Lost a lb this week - all good. Have been working out lots too. Have onky really been doing it for 10 days but I can already notuce a big difference in what I can do in the work out and also in my muscle definition! I never expected results this quickly! Wish I'd started this sooner.

Hey Weasey, I'm miles away from refeed (at least 10 weeks) but have enjoyed skim reading yours and will now keep up with it.

I have never done refeed properly. First time round, was not my fault - I was on week 4 of LL refeed when I had to have my gallbladder out (LL at one point said I'd have to stop LL entirely for my op - despite the fact that not refeeding is much worse). I did well those 4 weeks but after my op, it went to pieces - didn't help they made me eat toast when I was recovering.

I like your plans - it isn't quite what I'll do but I won't analyse that until a couple of weeks before I'm ready.

I did see a tip in this thread that I really like - the writing/journal/ipad note when the urge to eat something is there. I will definitely be doing that. I write in a txt document at work every day, at the start, just to get my head properly in gear but this will be useful. Post it notes will do for me (I used to use those to combat emotional stress a few years ago).

Fitness levels increase dramatically - in a couple of weeks you'll be able to do far more than now, depending on how you push yourself. I've seen me struggle to do 10 mins on a crosstrainer at the start and 2 weeks later be able to do 90 mins.

Hope all continues to go well!

Thanks Serenity Valley!

New Direction...

OK - so I spent last week on 4 packs a day and am now spending the next week or two on 3 packs plus a protein meal. This is helping me in 2 ways...

1. I have put on some weight since reaching goal which I'd like to lose again...

2. I have had some stomach problems and by cutting everything out and then adding things back slowly I hope to be able to identify what is causing the problem.

I have also decided to follow the Dukan transition diet once I am back at goal weight (or a bit before). I'm feeling the need of a bit more structure. I also like the fact that he defines a diet for after reaching goal (to get you body to accept your new weight) and then something else once that phase is over. He says at you need to following the transition diet for 5 days for every lb you lost - which is almost 2 years for me. Whilst is seems like a very long time it does make sense to me that I will need to be more mindful for a couple of years if I want to be able to maintain.

So this is what I will eat...

EVERY DAY
Lean Protein (includes no fat dairy/lean red meat/skinless poultry - not duck or goose) no limit
Vegetables - no limit
Fruit - one serving (not bananas/cherries/grapes/dried fruit/nuts)
wholemeal bread - 2 slices
cheese - 40g hard cheese
oatbran - 2 tablespoons

EVERY WEEK
Starchy food (eg pasta/couscous) - 225g portion once a week (note that potatoes and rice can be eaten only occasionally at 175g portion)
Celebration meal - one meal (not one day!) with one starter/one main course/one dessert and one glass of wine for example - any type of fiod can be eaten (nothing off limits) but no second helpings
Pure Protein Day - one day a week you can only eat high protein food - Dukan suggests a Thursday...

For the first year I will have the above. For the second year I will have 2 portions of starchy foods a week instead of one and two celebration meals a week instead of one.

None of this is optional. I must have the celebration meal and I must have a pure protein day and I must have one portion of starchy food per week. Also, the plan has 25mins walking a day. I'm not looking to apply this as I'm working out really hard so as long as I continue with that I will view my exercise as covered.

I'm not looking to start this for a couple of weeks whilst I'm on 3 packs plus protein meal. That'll give me some time to work out what I'm going to introduce and when...

Back