whats your meal plans for the week??

a bit late in posting... but

Fri: meatfree burgers, chips & beans (green)
Sat: mussels (red)
Sun: mushypea curry (green)
Mon: chicken casserole (red)
Tue: quorn cornish pasties, chips & beans (green)
Wed: Liver & bacon (red)
Thur: king prawn stirfry chinese curry sauce (EE)
Thur

Debridger said:
a bit late in posting... but

Fri: meatfree burgers, chips & beans (green)
Sat: mussels (red)
Sun: mushypea curry (green)
Mon: chicken casserole (red)
Tue: quorn cornish pasties, chips & beans (green)
Wed: Liver & bacon (red)
Thur: king prawn stirfry chinese curry sauce (EE)
Thur

Slight change
Mon EE I made the scone mix as a topping to my casserole

Righty, rough menu for the next week or so (only definites so far are Fri & Sat)

Fri: HFW's Porotos Granados
Sat: Slow roast tomato, labne, almond & mujahadra salad
Sun: Feta stuffed chicken & veg
Mon: Citrus black bean soup
Tue: Indian mixed veg stew
Wed: Packup
Thu: BritMum's Keema curry
Fri: Mexican Tlayuda w pea guacamole, salad & SW chips
Sat: Beef, ale and turnip stew with bubble and squeak cakes
Sun: Cauliflower pizza
Mon: Broccoli & Stilton Soup
Tue: Spicy roast veg & red lentil soup
Thu: Roast BNS with black rice stuffing

Righty, rough menu for the next week or so (only definites so far are Fri & Sat)

I have to say, Ermintrude, I've never tasted any of those meals... can I come to yours for dinner? lol

As for me, I don't set menus. Rather I buy the food and decide on the day what I'm going to have.
In the freezer at the mo, meat-wise is stewing beef, diced lamb for tuscan lamb with stir-fry veg, a chicken for a roast, a ham if I don't want the chicken lol, chicken breasts for a casserole-ish type experiment, mince for savoury mince, fillets of cod for fish and chips, and chicken thighs for seasoning, that we'll have with either mash or chips.

We do very simple meals here. I suppose being Irish and brought up on bread and potatoes as part of every meal has left its mark on every generation. I do have the kids and OH to think of too, so I can't do anything too exotic in case I end up throwing it out and cooking something else...ugh.

I have to say, Ermintrude, I've never tasted any of those meals... can I come to yours for dinner? lol

As for me, I don't set menus. Rather I buy the food and decide on the day what I'm going to have.
In the freezer at the mo, meat-wise is stewing beef, diced lamb for tuscan lamb with stir-fry veg, a chicken for a roast, a ham if I don't want the chicken lol, chicken breasts for a casserole-ish type experiment, mince for savoury mince, fillets of cod for fish and chips, and chicken thighs for seasoning, that we'll have with either mash or chips.

We do very simple meals here. I suppose being Irish and brought up on bread and potatoes as part of every meal has left its mark on every generation. I do have the kids and OH to think of too, so I can't do anything too exotic in case I end up throwing it out and cooking something else...ugh.

:D Most of them are not as exotic as they sound. I was brought up on tinned goblin pie ;)

Its a case of chicken & veg, veg soup or bean soup. They have posh names cos a) I pick a lot of them up off recipe sites that are desperately trying to make veg stew *sound* interesting :rolleyes: b) I feel slightly less bored myself if whatever Im making sounds exotic, even if it is just veg casserole or chicken & sprouts

Nah, I cant do it if I just get food in and *then* have to wonder WTF to do with it :confused: By the time I decide, I realise I havent got the time/the ingredients/the motivation to make it, I find its five o clock, make sausage & chips, feel depressed at how boring it all is and stuff my face on rubbish/order a takeaway instead:(

I find the cooking it bit the fun part :) Even if the end result isnt all that great I enjoy making it and trying it out :) In fact I hate actually picking recipes for the week and put it off til the last minute when Ive got half an hour left til my Tesco basket is about to deliver me sick squid of bread and milk :rolleyes: But once Ive got a list of stuff to make and all the ingredients in for the next ten days Im away :)

And I do like to make something fancy at the w/e just to feel like I've got something a bit luxurious and naughty :)

In English that list is:

Fri: Veg soup
Sat: Tomato & cheese on lentil salad (Sat = 'posh food' day ;) )
Sun: Chicken & veg
Mon: Bean soup
Tue: Veg stew
Wed: Leftovers
Thu: Curry
Fri: Mexican wrap & chips
Sat: Beef stew, bubble & squeak
Sun: Pizza
Mon: Veg soup
Tue: Veg soup
Wed: Leftovers
Thu: Roast veg

Not so posh & luxurious if I write it like that though eh? :D

I should really start planning out all my food.. do you guys end up sticking to your meal plans?

Generally I stick to plan, Just started a fortnight's plan.

I don't plan for the boys because they're a pain in the A!
I'll have Pizza on the board for them for nearly a week and one will say "I don't like Pizza" Grrrrrr!

There's always the back up plan, so if I make chips for eg I will make and par boil double and then bag them and put them in the fridge. So I can have egg and chips. Or I prepare loads of BNS to make a Risotto.

I should really start planning out all my food.. do you guys end up sticking to your meal plans?

Not religiously but I always get all the stuff in I need to make those recipes for the week, then I just pick which one I fancy on any particular night. Also you can change them quite a bit just by deciding if you're having them with chips, salad, veg or whatever, or adding different spices/flavourings, dips etc, or change them loads by chucking some meat or beans or veg in.

Like a lentil curry you can have just as curry with rice or you can also have it as a soup or a stew, or with tortilla chips and dip, SW chips etc. But if you make a plan at least you've got the ingredients in to make it and you dont end up with something boring or ring for takeaway :)

Great thread ladies.

I do all cookin on a Sunday to last until Thursday and it works well for me. Can get a bit boring sometimes so have started postage pictures on here to inspire me to make my meals a bit more variable.

I love cooking and food shopping so no pain for me. I just spend a flippin fortune!!!

Just did my meal planning...

Chicken tikka, rice, onion salad and yoghurt dip

Roast pork, rice n peas and veg

Beef taco trays, salsa and salad

Jamaican Curry chicken, rice and salad

Salmon in a chilli and caper sauce, spinach and plantain

Jerk ham All day breakfast

Melt in the middle burgers, chips with cress and beetroot salad

Yum yum, been looking st your diary Mama, gonna have to be getting some recipes off you! :drool:

ermintrude said:
Yum yum, been looking st your diary Mama, gonna have to be getting some recipes off you! :drool:

Ditto ermintrude!!! I was looking at yours today.

Sharing is good :)

I am on a state retirement pension so have to be careful with money for food and I found that I save a large amount by pre-planning the weeks food menu.
examples include.....
2kb of spuds=large ones for baked potato, or chips, medium ones for Sunday roast, small ones boiled up and mashed.
2 for 1 packs of bacon=Big breakfast, chicken wrapped in bacon, chopped up bacon in a pasta meal.
Pork chops,=Sunday dinner, one cut into small slices for a stir-fry.
1 pack of low fat sausage= Big breakfast, sausage,egg & chips,cut open and seasoned and used as meatballs with Spag.Bol.
Large pack of Couscous or Rice=several different meals!
By careful planning you will be suprised how many recipes you can make with the minimum of ingredients in stock.

mama_mia said:
Just did my meal planning...

Chicken tikka, rice, onion salad and yoghurt dip

Roast pork, rice n peas and veg

Beef taco trays, salsa and salad

Jamaican Curry chicken, rice and salad

Salmon in a chilli and caper sauce, spinach and plantain

Jerk ham All day breakfast

Melt in the middle burgers, chips with cress and beetroot salad

Right, everything on my menu has been cooked and is ready and waiting for devouring during the week.

Am now going to put my feet up!

Monday: slow cooker chicken casserole
Tuesday:Roast Lamb hearts, potatoes and veggies
Wednesday: Cottage pie
Thursday: Sausage, Mash, onion gravy and vegebubbles
Friday: Undecided

Violetwind said:
Do you freeze it all Mama when you've cooked it?

Hi violetwind
No, I just keep it all in the fridge. I make all of the meat and rice on Sunday or Monday and then do the salads etc as I go along. I started cooking this way when I went back to work full time after maternity leave and it works a treat for me. I thought, if M&S can do it, why can't I?
I like fish to be fresh so I tend to have it on a Sunday and monday at the worst. Then I have meat afterwards.
I do freeze some things but have a separate 'cook up' session for the freezer.

I used to do full meals for the freezer but changed to cooking and freezing joints etc instead as u can get more out of them. For example, I brown large batches of mince with onion, salt and pepper because, no matter the recipe, it will require that stage. I then have the flexibilty to use it to make a chili, spag Bol, shepherds pie, tacos etc.

I do the same with joints. I season it plainly and then slice for the freezer. I then bag it up into portions so that I can make different things with it. E.g. A Roast pork joint makes great fried frice, noodles, an accompaniment with rice, jerk pork, soup, sandwich filling, pork in black bean sauce etc. Same with ham, I cook 2 or 3 and use it in recipes or as a replacement for bacon in fry ups.

I also buy large amounts of chicken and season it before freezing. This marinade makes the flavour deeper and means that when I do my Sunday cooking most of the work has already been done. I just have to defrost and bung it in the oven.

I cook and freeze plain rice and then it can be used for fried rice, vegetable rice, rice n peas etc.

I spend a few hours cooking on Sunday morning and then don't really have to lift a finger until maybe Friday/Saturday meaning I can spend quality time all week with miss Mia.

A very economical way to cook and eat, whilst still allowing you to be creative!

Last edited:
Shirleen said:
Monday: slow cooker chicken casserole
Tuesday:Roast Lamb hearts, potatoes and veggies
Wednesday: Cottage pie
Thursday: Sausage, Mash, onion gravy and vegebubbles
Friday: Undecided

Lamb hearts Shirleen?
Is that literally the heart of the lamb?
Never heard of eating heart. Nice? I love lamb....

Lamb hearts Shirleen?
Is that literally the heart of the lamb?
Never heard of eating heart. Nice? I love lamb....

I haven't had hearts since I was a kid but I loved them! Tesco have 2 stuffed lamb hearts at 75p this week stuffed with mushroom stuffing, I don't use many syns on a work day xx

Back