Who is Making Me Fat?

Indeed it comes down to willpower. The only people making us fat is ourselves. Simple as that. With enough willpower and determination we will get to our goals and be 'normal'.

I do believe it's down to will power, and at the end of the day, we are adults, and make our own decisions. However, it is very hard to make the right decision when money is an issue and all the offers are on the fatty crap foods.

I know that since doing Go Lower, I am all the more aware of my food and of offers on fruit and veg, but that is because Go Lower provides me with my food and snacks, all I have to do is top up with fruit and veg. My food bill has come down, but I am definitely buying more fruit and veg and when I finish Go Lower and maintaining myself, (not getting any of their superb food parcels), my weekly food bill will go sky high! What can you do? I want to continue my weight loss and be healthy. I love my fruit and veg as do the kids, and I don't want to be a drain on the NHS - maybe we should lobby the govt. Bring down the price of fruit and veg and put up the price of the crap!!

By the way, weigh in last night - another 3lbs gone, so in 6 weeks, 1stone7lbs gone - YEAH....bring it on!

xx

'Who is making us fat?'

Did anyone else see the part about hidden sugars in our food?

The presenter compared the sugar levels in her normal day to day intake, all of which I would consider to be healthy options, such as 'non sugary' cereals, granary bread etc, to the guideline recommended maximum amount of sugar intake. It was nearly double! This was what I found truly shocking.

I agree that no-one makes us buy the BOGOF offers on all the rubbish that we know we shouldn't eat. And if like me you have very little restraint when it comes to a multipack of crisps, then the answer is not to buy them. However! I am now more sceptical than ever about what is actually in the food that I'm buying.

The food/sugar industry obviously could'nt care less about the consumer as long as they're making a profit.

I guess the only protection we have is to educate ourselves.

It's shocking isn't it? Before the diet, I had bought 3 different kinds of 'healthy' cereals, not like cocoa puffs and all that sugary crap. Now I can't eat it because it's like 300 cals for 100g! My porride + fruit breakfast is the same amount and it fills me up until lunch. It's all a bit retarded if you ask me.

Happy, well done! :) *cheers*

It's shocking isn't it? Before the diet, I had bought 3 different kinds of 'healthy' cereals, not like cocoa puffs and all that sugary crap. Now I can't eat it because it's like 300 cals for 100g! My porride + fruit breakfast is the same amount and it fills me up until lunch. It's all a bit retarded if you ask me.

Happy, well done! :) *cheers*

stick to your porridge!! its so good for you:) i even think it should be classed as a superfood. lol. if it's not already;)

The who's making us fat issue - I agree with everyone who said ourselves! We havent been pinned to a chair and forced, WE have made the bad decisions and facing up to that is the only way!

As for the cheaper fruit/veg - hands up who has cars? probably a lot of you! Find out where your nearest farm shop is and try buying all your fruit and/or veg there for a few weeks. It is not only cheaper but most of the time it is more fresh and you would definitely be supporting your local farms.

An example, I used to buy everything in Asda, absolutely everything and I was spending a fortune on my weekly shop.
I started buying my fruit and veg from the local farm shop and on average spend at least £30 per week less than I did before!

I feel really strongly about supporting our local businesses and using the supermarkets for the bare minimum and there is no better and cheaper way to do it than buying fresh produce from where it was grown!

I intend to, breadbin :) Porridge or eggs is the way to go really. I've decided to donate my three beautiful boxes of sugary cereal so I won't be tempted.

My mum also sent my dark chocolate hearts for valentine's day (she's like that...) I'm amazed that there's still like half left! There weren't that many but.. usually that would've lasted like two days, if that.

Temptation's a b*tch.

I intend to, breadbin :) Porridge or eggs is the way to go really. I've decided to donate my three beautiful boxes of sugary cereal so I won't be tempted.

My mum also sent my dark chocolate hearts for valentine's day (she's like that...) I'm amazed that there's still like half left! There weren't that many but.. usually that would've lasted like two days, if that.

Temptation's a b*tch.

ah i woulda kept the dark chocolate!! :)

Oh I've kept them, they're there for like emergencies or when I feel like it. They're tiny and only 50 calories so whatever. Not giving those away, they're precious lol

I think it's our own fault if we are fat because of eating these things but the bogoffs and cheap junk foods don't help.

I now go to the supermarket with a list and stick to it and get all my fruit and veg from the market. I usually get a full trolley (suzy's gona kill herself laughing if she reads this, but it doesn't have the same old-lady stigma here as England) of fruit and veg for about 10€ or 11€. I don't have the problem of things being expensive if they're out of season because they only sell stuff in season here.

For treats I go to the English shop but I'm quite careful what I buy. I'd really struggle to buy only what I need in an English supermarket it must be so difficult with all the offers.

Tracey

I went through a faze where I only brought my fruit and veg from the local market. It did save loads of money..but the problem I found was that I couldn't always buy what I wanted. Some weeks couldn't even get the simplest of things, cucumbers or tomatoes. I then changed the market and found a local farm shop who delivered. All I had to do was call him with an order and he'd drop it off. Problem was the same though, we'd end up going without or I'd be back at the supermarket to top up and then spend more on the impulse buy - can't win!

xx

Yes Aimless Yak I did see the amount of sugar she was eating each day and that was buying what she thought was the healthy alternatives. Nearly double her RDA every day.....

I am not saying we are forced to eat these foods but my big concern is the way they are advertised, as I have already mentioned Petit filous which is aimed for children has far too much sugar!

I have encouraged my kids to have a yogurt everyday, thinking that was better for them than lots of other rubbish I could offer them, how wrong I have been and I now feel very guilty!

We all know that certain foods are bad for us but when we are lead to believe by the advertisers that they are offering healthy options I know I have stupidly fallen for it in the past!

Cheaper fruit and veg would certainly be a big help but having the time to go to a farm shop is not an option for me as if I do go shopping it is normally late at night when the kids are in bed.

The same with the market. I can only get to the market on a Saturday and that is my time with my children and dragging them through big crowds is not a great way to spend quality time with them.

By the way Tracey, yes, I am laughing to myself. I just need to know two wheels or four???? My mum has one out there and I can honestly say I have never used it! YET!.....

It is 2 wheels, and yep it is an old lady one. I wouldn't have dream't of using one but I've seen young women tottering around on high heels before now pulling them along. I do get taken as Spanish if people haven't spoken to me though - no-one English uses one.

I can't believe those petit filous are so full of sugar. I used to give my kids munch bunch yogourts thinking they were good for them and I bet they were the same.

I don't like all the things that advertise as low fat and then they are full of sugar or low sugar and they have about 5 calories different than the ordinary - what are they putting in instead of the sugar?

Tracey

I don't like all the things that advertise as low fat and then they are full of sugar or low sugar and they have about 5 calories different than the ordinary - what are they putting in instead of the sugar?

Tracey[/QUOTE] I dread to think what they are putting in our food.....it's one of the reasons I like to cook as much of my food from scratch, but you can only go so far in doing that. I mean, I can't exactly make my own yoghurt's on a daily basis now - or can I?? And the kids love pasta, I'm definitely not going to be making that fresh all the time.... I guess reading the labels is what we're going to have to do in the future so that we know exactly what we're eating..

xx

I do try to cook a lot of my stuff from scratch but like you I think yogourts are going a bit too far. You should be ok with stuff like pasta though - it's the sauces you put on them if you buy them readymade that are the problem.

I only used to look at the calories of foods before I bought them but I think I'm gona have to start reading the sugar and fat content too. If I'm gona be eating tons of sugar by eating a yogourt, I may as well be eating a bar of chocolate instead.

Tracey

I can't cook at all so I have to leave it all to hubby, unless I give them pizza or pasta...... We are careful about what the kids have generally and that is why hubby cooks most nights because I would not know where to start if I had to give them things from scratch.

That is why I am so shocked at how easily we could be given them the wrong foods.

You are right just because it is low fat does not mean it is low sugar, as I have discovered since being on Go Lower because when I can I am looking at the sugar content and I keep picking up the items that say "Low Fat" only to put them straight back on the shelf again.

Happy, I think a lot of the low calorie foods are putting in sweetners, which in my opinion I think must be almost as bad as sugar.

Poor hubby, does he like cooking? I do that with stuff that I pick up that says low fat, I read it and put it back again. I look at what's actually in some of these things like cerial bars that you would think are good for you and I think I might as well eat a mars bar.

I don't mind stuff that has sweeteners in, they are my lifeline. Diet pop and sugar free jellies. I couldn't live without those at the moment.

Tracey

Tracey

rather than pop, have you tried the flavoured water. I never thought I would touch it as I am not even a water drinker but I really like th elemon and lime flavours. Volvic do a sugar free one and I am also drinking the Sainsburys own (as it is cheaper).

Yes, hubby does like cooking, although tonight I cooked, well I put it in the microwave. I got a meal deal from Tesco and had some chicken with asparagus with some small peas and to start I had prawns.

I can just imagine you with your trolley......

Volvic Touch of Fruit Orange and Peach!!!

Oh my goodness, best thing I've ever drunk.

Back