Why I have to lose weight?

I'll have to have a look in your album to see this dreaded pump! Well done you for fixing it. You sound very proud of yourself and so you should be!!!

I am certainly impressed as I would probably have just looked at it holding a screwdriver in my hand and then thinking I need to call a pro.

In Spain???....... I remember years ago it snowed in February when we were there but by the time I got up it had all gone but it was the talk of the village as some of the kids had never seen snow.

One of the kids in my sons school was taken out of the class when it started snowing over here before Xmas because he was born in Barbados and his mum only come back to the UK last year and she wanted to show him the snowflakes. She joked about it at the party over the weekend that she had no idea how much snow he would get to see this winter......

We are still having little flurries but nothing to bad.

I know, I couldn't believe it when I got up. It's the second time since we came here 5 years ago. The last time it was 2 foot deep and all the Spanish were out taking photos coz they'd never had it like that here before.

There is snow normally on the mountains in winter but not here. It's usually quite nice coz it can be warm and sunny and you can see the snow on the tops of the mountains in the distance.

My mum's been telling me about the snow, she's up north and they still keep getting it on and off.

Tracey

Years ago I remember we went skiing for the day at Sierra Nevada. Are they the mountains you can see?

Snow seems to have eased of down and things are warming up, I hope! I saw two people wearing t-shirts today and it is only 7 degrees, I don't quite think I will go into my t-shirts just yet!

When I am ready to wear them I should have loads as I stopped wearing a lot of them because they made me look like I was still pregnant!

No, they're not the ones we can see but they're only supposed to be about 2 hours from here. 2 hours is not too far considering the size of Spain. We were going to go for the day just before Christmas this year when my son came but he'd seen enough snow to last him a lifetime when he got here and was just thankful to be able to sit outside and get a bit of fresh air.

I don't blame you for not wearing t-shirts yet. Mine are on but under thick jumpers and cardis. I can't wait for the Spring.

Tracey

Yes, I also wear the occasional t-shirt under my fleece jumpers.

The daffodils in our front garden are sprouting up so it should be spring soon, I hope.

I love roses.

I think we were suposed to prune ours but I don't know what time of year to do it. I suppose I should google it and see. I do know you have to cut them at an angle.... but that is about it as far as my knowledge of gardening goes.

My excuse is the first house which I owned had only hardstanding for a garden so I only had plants in pots and they seemed to survive with me doing very little to care for them.

I think I was supposed to prune these but it's a bit late now. I didn't know what to do with the almond tree so I asked an old Spanish fella who lives near. He looked at it and went and brought a dangerous looking curved saw and started hacking away at it.

It was a bit worrying coz he's in his 80's but he's so active. I must admit he's made a very good job of it, it looks tons better. He said the almonds will be bigger now.

A lot of the plants here are so different, I'm learning as I go along. Dig a hole, put the plant in and fill it up is what I've been doing and it's worked up to now. They seem quite hardy if you stick to the native plants.

Tracey

Too much energy for me, digging holes.

I did plant some tomatoes and sunflowers with the boys last year in large pots but they never grew more than about an inch high before they seemed to die.

Hubby has planted strawberries and raspberries in the garden and now we have loads, why is it whatever I plant doesn't want to hang around????

Suzy-I'm like you, I've killed so many basil plants it's untrue. Even cactuses..cacti? Anyway. Strawberries and raspberries are really easy, they just spread and spread and it's really hard to kill them. You're not picking the right ones!

Just Peachy

Thanks for the sympathy...... I'm am so pleased to know it is not only me that kills plants.

Hubby is the one with the green fingers, I just never realised that it is because he cheats by choosing the correct plants to plant. Now I know....

Come this summer I am going to raid the raspberries and strawberries before anyone else gets their hands on them, and that includes my kids as I am allowed to eat berries on my diet so I intend to get in their first!

I wonder if raspberries will grow here? I'll see if they sell the plants and if they do they should grow ok. Think I'll get some strawberry plants too, they've just come in season so I've been eating tons of them.

Digging the holes is hard work, the ground is not soil, it's just a sort of solid muck so you need a pick axe to dig a hole. I'm getting good with it now. The plants here seem pretty hardy, they have to be to survive so I'm not too bad with them.

Tracey

The strawberries we have been buying I think are Spanish and they are massive. I don't remember them normally being that big, but maybe it is beacuse I don't usually buy them out of season.

Good luck with the digging...... Just been warned the raspberries will try to take over.....

I would have thought in Spain you could get any fruit you wanted to plant. How about really going the full hog and trying for bananas and oranges. Both grow where we stay in Spain.

Think how cheap your shopping bill would be if you had all those healthy things to eat straight from you garden.

I've not thought of bananas before, not seen them round here. They do grow oranges and lemons all over though, oranges are in season now so you can buy a big crate for about €5 (all shapes and sizes).

I'm trying to grow things that I like but are not as cheap. We've got a mature almond tree that was here when they built the house and I put a fig tree in last year, they have lots here and grow well but they are never cheap like oranges.

I'll keep a look out at the garden centre to see what I fancy, they're getting stuff in now coz it's getting planting time. I went this week but couldn't see any raspberries.

Tracey

Back