World cup, it won't be an easy one.

Cloggy

Mostly Harmless
I'm not talking about for the team but for me :( being a guy I'm so used to sitting in front of the box with a beer and a bag of crisps.
Being both Dutch and British I support both teams, so it's double the torture.
Oh well come on England :party0011: (and the Netherlands ;)).

Might be a good idea to stick to Green Days (if it's just you) so you can have some SW chips or some Baked Crunchy Chick Peas instead of the Crisp (or just choose a lower synned bag of crisps and syn them). No idea about the lower synned drinks as I don't drink alcohol, but you can always have the Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Pepsi Max (although I'm sure it doesn't have the same affect). I'm cheering for 3 teams- US, Spain and UK!!!

Edited: There are also some recipes on SW online for the World Cup you may want to check out.

Last edited:
Im feeling that gonna do plenty of red days when the lads come round ..Extra lean beef burgers and very lean steak gonna be order of the day

That ASDA shandy isnt quite the same but does taste good

Might be a good idea to stick to Green Days (if it's just you) so you can have some SW chips or some Baked Crunchy Chick Peas instead of the Crisp (or just choose a lower synned bag of crisps and syn them). No idea about the lower synned drinks as I don't drink alcohol, but you can always have the Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Pepsi Max (although I'm sure it doesn't have the same affect). I'm cheering for 3 teams- US, Spain and UK!!!....

Thanks for the tips Meli, at least you're guaranteed a win tonight :party0011:
I think I'll make some gurkin and ham rolls, some low fat cheese on a HeB and I will have to search for a low fat deviled egg recipe.

Im feeling that gonna do plenty of red days when the lads come round ..Extra lean beef burgers and very lean steak gonna be order of the day

That ASDA shandy isnt quite the same but does taste good
Sounds great, we've finally got some reasonable weather today so a BBQ is not at all a bad idea :)
Shandy is unknown here, and most continental beers have lots of calories, but I might just mix a couple of beers with a couple of sugar free lemonades :eek:, the worst thing is that over here everyone drinks beer from the bottle so I will stick out like a sore thumb :( (but on the other hand I can prepare a couple of my own bottles before hand ;))

What about a couple of Lite beers and some popcorn done in the microwave.
Thanks for the idea's but I don't really like popcorn (unless smothered in toffee :rolleyes:), I'll have a look for light beers, but generally here its either with or without alcohol:(

Last edited:
Two things that I really miss - crisps and alcohol, you have my sympathy! :sigh: Not very helpful but at least you know you're not alone lol. :party0051:

Come on England!! :cross: :party0011:

You could make your own crisps.

1. Peel one potato (or more if you want to - they're free!) then slice it up into thin crisp-like shapes (i use a cheese slicer but a knife/veg peeler will be fine)

2. Lay the 'crisps' onto a plate in one layer and spray with fry light and add seasoning if desired (just a bit of salt is nice)

3. Microwave the crisps for 2 mins then turn them over. Microwave again for 2 mins then turn over. Repeat this until the potato starts to look a little brown in areas.

4.Leave the crisps on the plate to dry out and cool down and as they do so they will crisp up ready to be wolfed down! If they don't crisp up after a couple of minutes then repeat in microwave and try them again.

im a football widow..

My wife doesn't mind at all she just goes off to her women friends as they are all pretty much in the same boat, she had a great evening last night :)

How did you get on last night then? Someone pointed out the World Cup section on the SW website, some look really nice!
I had a good night (despite the fumbling English goalie :(). I drank 3 bottles of Amstel alcohol free beer (the values were similar to the Bavaria 0% beer and that is 1.5 syns).
We had gurkins wrapped in lean ham, blocks of cheese with mustard (I ate a couple as my HexA) and deviled eggs (using 3% mayonaise).
As a good host I put out crisps and snacks for the others but didn't eat any myself.
Claire can you tell me where to find the world cup section, if I search I come up with so many hits for "world cup*" :eek:

Two things that I really miss - crisps and alcohol, you have my sympathy! :sigh: Not very helpful but at least you know you're not alone lol. :party0051:

Come on England!! :cross: :party0011:

Thanks at least I'm not alone :)

You could make your own crisps.

Thanks Helen I'll definately have to give them a go :)

It's only 2.5 syns for a shot of a spirit :)

Squiddie I do like a good sipping whiskey, but I'm afraid with all the excitement it might turn into swigging whiskey :rolleyes:

I too love the world cup so I feel your pain, just wanted to let you know what I have done this week so I could really enjoy the England game yesterday. I had 5 syns everyday running up to Saturday and allowed myself up to 40 for the game. This mainly consisted of vodka with s/l tonic but I did have some full fat tonics because the place I was watching it ran out grrr! I was very suprised to see from the SW website that the full fat tonics were only 2 syns each - result!! Before I went out I made myself a SW friendly curry with quorn chunks, brown rice and treated myself to 2 real poppadoms from the indian (4 syns each). I ate this when I got home after the game.

This means this week I have had 77 syns (WI tomorrow), had a great night, still had 5 syns per day and am still well within my quota for the week therefore should hopefully still see a loss tomorrow.

I don't suggest going without syns for these games but there are ways around it where you can enjoy the world cup and still stick to the plan and more importantly stay in control!!

My wife doesn't mind at all she just goes off to her women friends as they are all pretty much in the same boat, she had a great evening last night :)

I had a good night (despite the fumbling English goalie :(). I drank 3 bottles of Amstel alcohol free beer (the values were similar to the Bavaria 0% beer and that is 1.5 syns).
We had gurkins wrapped in lean ham, blocks of cheese with mustard (I ate a couple as my HexA) and deviled eggs (using 3% mayonaise).
As a good host I put out crisps and snacks for the others but didn't eat any myself.
Claire can you tell me where to find the world cup section, if I search I come up with so many hits for "world cup*" :eek:

Thanks at least I'm not alone :)

Thanks Helen I'll definately have to give them a go :)

I think it was coming up on the first page, or on the Syns Online page. They may even be under the featured recipes. Can't remember the password so I can't get on there!! Grrr!

I too love the world cup so I feel your pain, just wanted to let you know what I have done this week so I could really enjoy the England game yesterday. I had 5 syns everyday running up to Saturday and allowed myself up to 40 for the game. This mainly consisted of vodka with s/l tonic but I did have some full fat tonics because the place I was watching it ran out grrr! I was very suprised to see from the SW website that the full fat tonics were only 2 syns each - result!! Before I went out I made myself a SW friendly curry with quorn chunks, brown rice and treated myself to 2 real poppadoms from the indian (4 syns each). I ate this when I got home after the game.

This means this week I have had 77 syns (WI tomorrow), had a great night, still had 5 syns per day and am still well within my quota for the week therefore should hopefully still see a loss tomorrow.

I don't suggest going without syns for these games but there are ways around it where you can enjoy the world cup and still stick to the plan and more importantly stay in control!!

Victoria I'm pleased this way works for you, I did something similar a couple of weeks ago (I ate all sorts on one day as I took part in a Tennis competition, but was careful on all the others), well I was lucky to maintain my weight that week :(

The worst thing is supporting 2 teams I have double the trouble ;)

Luckily Holland (the Netherlands) is playing this afternoon(during work time), so there is no big party and definately no beer, luckily we do have radio.

I think it was coming up on the first page, or on the Syns Online page. They may even be under the featured recipes. Can't remember the password so I can't get on there!! Grrr!

Thanks for the info Claire, I thought you meant this site :eek:, I'm not actually a member (yet) so I can't see it :(

I had a indian of boiled rice, chicken tikka and pepsi max, estimated about 4 syns for the chicken tikka :)
Sounds nice :)

Just to let you know following my post above - I had a 1.5lb loss Monday night too!! I suppose you have to stick with what works for you, have you sorted out a master plan yet? I'm not going to get too complacent though, I'm writing everything down I eat and drink so I stay in control.

Scotch eggs
Serves: 4
Syns per serving: Free on Extra Easy* and Original*
*Add 6 Syns if not using the breadcrumbs as a Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice
Ready in about 45 minutes plus 6-8 hours chilling time
4 eggs
A small handful each of fresh parsley and chives
1lb 6oz/624g lean minced chicken
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp mild curry powder
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8oz/227g wholemeal bread made into breadcrumbs
Fry light

1. Place 3 eggs into a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Cook for 7-8 minutes. Meanwhile, finely chop the fresh herbs. Drain the eggs, cool in cold water, shell and then chop.
  2. Place fresh herbs, mince, dried herbs and curry powder in a bowl and season. Use your hands to mix it together.
  3. Divide the mixture into 16 balls and flatten each one. Place ½ tsp of the egg mixture into the centre of each portion, form a ball and press to seal. Place on a tray, cover and chill for 6-8 hours.
  4. Preheat the oven to 190ºC/Gas 5. Beat the last egg and brush each ball with it. Roll each ball in the breadcrumbs and place on a non-stick baking tray lined with baking parchment. Spray balls with Fry Light and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
Germany

worldcup-germany.jpg
They think it’s all over… it is for traditional high-Syn snacks like bratwurst. Instead, tuck into a completely Free Food Optimising frankfurter!
Food Optimising frankfurter
Serves: 1
Syns per serving: Free on Extra Easy*, Green* and Original*
*Add 6 Syns if not using the bread roll as a Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice
Ready in about 20 minutes
½ onion
Fry Light
1floz/28ml stock made with Vecon
1 Quorn sausage
2oz/57g wholemeal roll
1 level tbsp tomato ketchup to serve (optional)
Peel and slice the onion into rings. Spray a large non-stick frying pan with Fry Light. Sauté the onion over a low heat for 5-6 minutes. Add the stock and continue to cook for 10-12 minutes, until the onions are tender. Grill the sausage under a medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked through. Split the roll lengthways and spoon in the onion mixture. Top with the sausage and drizzle over the ketchup (count 1 Syn per tbsp).
France

worldcup-france.jpg
These mushrooms are fab for a football feast - even France legend Zinedine Zidane would approve of the zestiness! Serve these warm mushrooms on top of your Healthy Extra allowance of toasted bread, or as a topper for jacket spuds.
French-style mushrooms
Serves: 4
Syns per serving: Free
Ready in about 20 minutes
4 garlic cloves
1lb/454g mushrooms
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Fry Light
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
4 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
1 tbsp freshly chopped tarragon

1. Peel and finely chop the garlic and thickly slice the mushrooms. Season well and fry in a hot pan sprayed with Fry Light for 6-8 minutes, stirring often, until the mushrooms are lightly browned.
  2. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest and chopped herbs. Mix well and serve immediately with 57g wholemeal bread, toasted (Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice).
Spain

worldcup-spain.jpg
What could make a better accompaniment to Spain’s first fixture (on the 16th June) than traditional Spanish omelette? Thick slices of potato and pepper-filled wedges are the perfect partner – they’re even the same colours as the Spanish flag!
Spanish omelette
Heat a non-stick frying pan until hot and add sliced peppers and onion. Stir fry over a high heat for 4-5 minutes until tender. Add sliced cooked potatoes and pour in some beaten eggs. Keep stirring the set egg from around the sides into the centre of the pan until it sets all over.
Place the pan under a grill for 1-2 minutes until the top of the omelette is golden. Cut into wedges and serve.
Italy

worldcup-italy.jpg
While you’re waiting for ‘gooooaaaaaalaccio!’(As the Italian goal celebration goes), this snack is perfect for picking. Traditional antipasti can be high in Syns, with cured meats and veg soaked in olive oil - this Food Optimising version has all the taste, without the Syns…
Antipasti snack plate

On a large plate arrange slices of Prosciutto (½ Syn per slice on Extra Easy/Original), slices of ham, chunks of mozzarella or feta (42g is a Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice, roasted peppers, cherry tomatoes, fresh melon, figs and olives (8 olives is 1 Syn)
Greece

worldcup-greece.jpg
You’ll be the Greek God/Goddess of the kitchen with this easy-to-make snack. Enjoy piles of Superfree cucumber, celery, peppers and carrots with this houmous dip and munch away until the final whistle!
Homemade houmous
Make a houmous dip by blending chickpeas, garlic cloves, fat free natural fromage frais, lemon juice, 1 tsp olive oil (2 Syns), salt and pepper.
Japan

worldcup-japan.jpg
Celebrate the land of the rising sun’s footie fixture with these spicy sticks. If the weather’s up to it, they’re perfect on the barbecue.
Teriyaki prawn sticks
Makes: 20
Syns per 3 sticks: ½ Syn on Extra Easy & Original, 2 Syns on Green
Peel 20 raw tiger prawns leaving their tails intact and place in a bowl. Mix in
1 tsp sesame oil, 2 tbsp teriyaki marinade and ½ tsp hot chilli powder. Trim 4 spring onions and cut each into 5 pieces. Trim 5 baby corn and cut into 4 pieces. Thread a prawn with a piece of spring onion and corn onto 20 cocktail sticks and cook under a hot grill, turning once, for 2-3 minutes until the prawns are pink. Serve hot.
USA

worldcup-usa.jpg
The USA team face England as their first fixture, so you may not fancy devoting your footie snack to the American side! However, these loaded potato skins are tempting and tasty enough to enjoy no matter which way your loyalties lie!
Loaded potato skins
Cut potatoes into quarters and place in a pan of boiling water for 5-6 minutes. Remove the potatoes and cool, then scoop out the flesh from each quarter, leaving a 1cm thick layer. Place the potato wedges, skin side down, on a baking sheet. Mix chopped spring onions and tomatoes with dried herbs and spoon into the potato quarters. Grate mozzarella cheese (42g is a Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice) over the top and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Make a dip by mixing together fat free natural fromage frais, grated garlic and chopped parsley.
Mexico

worldcup-mexico.jpg
Rather than high-Syn nachos or quesadillas, make a pass for this guacamole-style dip that goes perfectly with vegetable crudités. It’s so tasty you’ll be hoping for extra time!
Guacamole style dip
Mix avocado (average each 13½ Syns) with quark skimmed milk soft cheese, lemon juice, chopped tomato, spring onion and a few drops of Tabasco. Serve with plenty of crisp dipping vegetables like peppers, celery, radishes and cucumber.
You could also create a salsa dip by mixing chopped tomatoes, garlic, red onion, red chillies, red pepper, lime juice and coriander.

Back