Wow - fab doner kebab recipe, tastes like the real thing!!!

Yummy :) this is on my list! When I work nights, the other officers get take away from the kebaby round the corner and I can now take my own and eat with them :) woo

Was so impressed with this recipe! Had mine with Slimming World Syn Free Wedges, Hot pepper sauce & fat free natural yogurt with fresh mint & lemon mixed in. Filling & fooling. You think you're being naughty but with my wholemeal pitta as HEb it was just the lowest take away 'cheat' I've made.

I'm making this now and am very excited!

Had this last night and it was amazing! Hubby came home from work and asked what I was cooking cause it smelt like kebabs (result!). Had it with w/meal pitta, shredded White cabbage, Syn free chips, grated cheese, garlic Mayo and a can of lager. Amazing! And all within the plan. I love it!

I had this for the second time tonight using extra lean minced beef.
It really is lovely but I found I don't need to leave it in for the full 1 hr 20. First time I did it an hour and tonight 50 mins. The only thing I'd say is the meat is quite dry and I don't know if this is something I'm doing wrong or because the meat if virtually fat free?
I just splattered loads of garlic mayo over though and it was delicious, so filling in a wholemeal pitta with salad!!

Which wholemeal pitta's can be used for HeB........I saw some in Aldi.....with no added oil....didn't get them just incase I was wasting my money.

Thanks

Thanks....I have a local co-op...so that's good news.

pesty said:
well i didnt make doner kebab i made a chicken one which was AMAZING!!

But i wanted to inform how i made the garlic sauce as it was brrrrrilliant!!

I just mixed 5 tbs of vlf yoghurt with the juice of 1/2 a small lemon, 2 garlic cloves (crushed and chopped into tiny pieces), 1 tbsp light mayo (2 syns) and season with salt and pepper!

I added a few tbsps of water to make it runny like my local kebab shop!!

Its served 3 so far and there's plenty left so its 0.5 syn per serving!! xx

hi pesty if you don't mind me asking did you just replace the lamb with chicken or did you tweak the whole recipe ?? Thanks ?xx

I agree.......it was amazing!!!Reminded me of kebabs in Greece nommy nom. Doing it again this week but with lean minced beef, can't wait!

Can't wait to try this!! x

I forgot to come back with a verdict after saying I was making this. It was amazing! Me and my other half loved it and felt like we'd had the real thing. This will definitely be a regular Friday night treat for us. Yum!

Morning all any one made this with minced chicken / turkey if so is there any variation of the recipe ? :) x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

hi pesty if you don't mind me asking did you just replace the lamb with chicken or did you tweak the whole recipe ?? Thanks ?xx

No not at all, my was more of a shish kebab than a doner lol.

It was chicken breast cut into chunks then marinated in FF yoghurt and spices then just pan fried until cooked.

I really want to try the doner one but I cant wait 1.5hours after work for dinner!! lol.

I might make this saturday tho!! xx

pesty said:
No not at all, my was more of a shish kebab than a doner lol.

It was chicken breast cut into chunks then marinated in FF yoghurt and spices then just pan fried until cooked.

I really want to try the doner one but I cant wait 1.5hours after work for dinner!! lol.

I might make this saturday tho!! xx

Ahh thanks will give that a go ... But bought some turkey mince am going to be brave and try it !!! As can't get ELean lamb mince :( watch this space lol x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I just had this for my tea. It was scarily like the real deal, just nicer if anything (maybe because I could put lots of my own choice of salad on instead of the manky kebab shop stuff).

I had it in a HExB pitta, with lots of salad and chilli sauce over the top.
I've put my recipe for the chilli sauce below, just in case anyone might find it useful.

Syn Free Kebab Shop Style Chilli Sauce

1 tin tomatoes
1 onion (chopped finely and dry fried)
2 cloves Garlic (crushed and added in to the onion)
Salt
Pepper
Chilli Powder
Good dash of balsamic or wine vinegar

Add tomatoes and spices to the dry-fried onions & garlic.
Simmer for 15 - 20 mins until it starts to reduce down / thicken.
Give it a whizz with a food processor

Back