◄► Easy Homemade Slow Cooker Yoghurt - UPDATED ◄►

Well, I couldn't resist, had to go and have a bowl of jelly and cream er I mean yoghurt.

;)

6563357.jpg

Don'tWantToBeFatAnd50! said:
I have a new tub of Yeo Valley in the fridge, I think I will just keep it in there for a couple of days and use it from the tub (after being at room temp).

Does the starter yoghurt have to be at room temp ??

That is what I have just read on a couple of forums and I admit I don't think I did that before.

It seems to have worked ok for some though but I will add a note to the recipe and mention it.

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong along with my cold drafty kitchen lol

ellie1969 said:

I've always taken my starter yogurt straight from the fridge. I suppose if the starter yogurt is too cold it could cool the milk to a temperature that doesn't support the growth of the live cultures.
My yogurts have worked out fine, perhaps I've just been lucky or maybe my fridge isn't very cold.

Advice please - So have I got this right before I have a go
1 litre Skimmed Milk
1 Tbls FF Probiotic Yoghurt (Rm Temp)
1 Tbls Skimmed Milk Powder
Milk in Slow Cooker on low for 2.5 hours
Add Yoghurt starter and milk powder (stir)
Leave on for a further 3 hours? switch off and wrap in blanket to keep warm overnight?
strain in fridge for 5 - 8 hours depending on thickness required.
We eat tons of the stuff here very expensive at £2 a pot with our favourite being Total

Could I double the quantities do you think?

What a post Don'tWantToBeFatAnd50! thank you fantastic as we can all save money might just stretch to fillet if we can cuts costs in other ways :)

Last edited:
Advice please - So have I got this right before I have a go
1 litre Skimmed Milk
1 Tbls FF Probiotic Yoghurt (Rm Temp)
1 Tbls Skimmed Milk Powder
Milk in Slow Cooker on low for 2.5 hours
Add Yoghurt starter and milk powder (stir)
Leave on for a further 3 hours? switch off and wrap in blanket to keep warm overnight?
strain in fridge for 5 - 8 hours depending on thickness required.
We eat tons of the stuff here very expensive at £2 a pot with our favourite being Total

Could I double the quantities do you think?

What a post Don'tWantToBeFatAnd50! thank you fantastic as we can all save money might just stretch to fillet if we can cuts costs in other ways :)

STOP!

Sorry for shouting Chris but you have got it in the wrong order and it won't work.

Put milk in cold sc, switch on low and leave on for 2.5 hrs

Unplug and leave for 3 hours

THEN

Add yog starter and milk powder and leave for at least 8 hours

Then you can put it in the fridge to drain

It may only need a couple of hours to drain depending on how thick you want it, just keep checking.

Good luck, just remember to add your yog and milk powder after a total of 5.5 hrs basically.

;)

Oops! Sorry Chris I missed your other question.

I only make it in one litre batches but other member ie Mirjam make it in larger batches.

It is just a case of adjusting ie 3 litres, 3 tbs yog, 3 tbs milk powde etc.

I am sure Mirjam will be along soon to confirm this.

:D

I am going to make some Toffee Muffins later, cut one in half and spread some of that really thick batch that I made (see photos above) on it, will be like having muffin with clotted cream.

That is what my eyes are going to tell me.

Hi Thanks for the quick reply knew it wouldnt be a good idea to make it until I checked thank you so much for this post - BRILLIANT - off to the kitchen now :)

So do I wrap it up in a cosy blanket at this point

Think I need it, a bit of a worry as Im not even blonde (sorry mirjam):D

Yes Chris.

Put milk in and leave on low for 2½ hrs

Turn off and leave for 3 hrs

After 3 hours add milk powder starter yog

Then wrap up and leave for at least 8 hours

I know what it is like, you just don't want to get it wrong, it is a long time to wait to find out you have cocked up!

There have been a couple of times where I have wrapped it up in it's towel/blanket and realised I had not put in the starter yog or the milk powder!

Doh!

;)

Yes Chris, I use 1tbsp powder and 1 tbsp yoghurt per litre. Going to make some more today so we've got enough for the rest of next week

Well I have sorted them out.

I have one draining over a bowl to make some yoghurt cheese the other looks a lot thicker.

I put it in my Easiyo beaker and left it in that for about 4 hours, it was thicker then but lumpy. I poured off the mass of whey that was in there, blitzed it in my blender and put it in the fridge for a few hours. It has gone a lot thicker since and had whey at the bottom of the tub. Just put it in a hanky over a seive to drain it for a couple of hours or so.

I wish I had done all of this with the first batch I made in the easiyo instead of throwing int away! :rolleyes:

This is what the yoghurt cheese looks like this morning.

6567752.jpg

;)

That looks so yummy, it looks like ice cream!

think ive already botched it up - my brother called just at the point I was putting a reminder on my phone to switch off after 2.5 hrs - remembered after 3.75 hrs so its switched off now do i leave it for 3 hrs + the extra time or is it a waste of time adding the yoghurt and milk powder. Totally my brother's fault - LOL

think ive already botched it up - my brother called just at the point I was putting a reminder on my phone to switch off after 2.5 hrs - remembered after 3.75 hrs so its switched off now do i leave it for 3 hrs + the extra time or is it a waste of time adding the yoghurt and milk powder. Totally my brother's fault - LOL

It should still work! The point of heating it up is to denature the whey proteins, so it shouldn't matter that you left it on for too long. Just let it cool down for 3 hours, and THEN add the yoghurt starter. Just keep following the steps. :)

Thank you
I shall let you know the results tomorrow night after straining 'excited' and my friend at work has found frozen rhubarb for me - yehhhhhhhh

I have seen that some people leave it on for 3 hours and then switch off for 2½ hrs so it will probably be alright.

If not you have only lost the price of your carton of milk, just try again tomorrow but I am sure it will be fine.

Back