31st July weightloss thread...

Hi dz233 ;)

Girls I can totally relate to the fear of maintenance. The thought of upping calories is uber scary. :cry:

Hi Angy :). Wow - just noticed your profile. Congratz on the weight loss. It's an amazing acheivement.
I'm just looking to lose all the weight I put on over the last two months when I went totally overboard with the junk. Never dieted before but am glad I've found this friendly forum as opposed to the other pro anorexia sites that are everywhere...

Hi Angy :). Wow - just noticed your profile. Congratz on the weight loss. It's an amazing acheivement.
I'm just looking to lose all the weight I put on over the last two months when I went totally overboard with the junk. Never dieted before but am glad I've found this friendly forum as opposed to the other pro anorexia sites that are everywhere...

It is lovely here isn't it? A little tinternet gem.

Thanks for the congrats and well done yourself. You can do it, and there is loads of support here! :D xxx

Good luck girlies...

I went over my cals Wednesday then yesterday stuck to my 1000, i would like to think Wednesday would boost it by itself..hopefully, i am due on this weekend but its a strange time for me as i have lost everytime i am at that time of the month whereas everyone else says they sts...lets hope im in my normal routine this coming weigh in

Hello all! One thing I wanted to ask - Iris, you said you hit a plateau for 3 months. I don't understand how our bodies can do this to us! It's so unfair. I was wondering - do you think this would happen to people who don't have a weight problem? I don't mean to go down the whole slow metabolism/big bones excuse route, but do you ever wonder if those of us prone to getting big are maybe at some kind of metabolic disadvantage as far as weight loss is concerned? I think my body must have been built to survive famine, which must have been useful for cave men, but is less helpful in modern society!

Hello all! One thing I wanted to ask - Iris, you said you hit a plateau for 3 months. I don't understand how our bodies can do this to us! It's so unfair. I was wondering - do you think this would happen to people who don't have a weight problem? I don't mean to go down the whole slow metabolism/big bones excuse route, but do you ever wonder if those of us prone to getting big are maybe at some kind of metabolic disadvantage as far as weight loss is concerned? I think my body must have been built to survive famine, which must have been useful for cave men, but is less helpful in modern society!

That's an interesting question, DR! I really don't know how much of a role genetics play... I think there was a fascinating programme on the bbc a while back where a group of naturally skinny people were part of a study where they radically overate for a few weeks to see what would happen to them - most gained weight (albeit a small amount) but a couple didn't gain at all, and all seemed to return to their natural skinniness very quickly after they resumed their normal eating habits.

The programme made the same point you did, that a big bulk of us are descended from genetic survivors - those who could pile on the weight in times of plenty and last through the famines when they struck. I suppose we can't just switch off that urge to make digestive hay while the sun shines - it's just that here in the west we're generally so blessed that in food terms it never rains. There's an orgy for the tastebuds on every street corner!

Maybe we're mainly fighting good old-fashioned greed. Bit of an ugly word, I know, but I think it's true in my case. I love food, love eating, love cooking, love the whole sensual side of flavours and textures and scent and variety. I'm a glutton, that's just me! Even now I know that technically I do overeat and I'm still greedy - it's just that I do it with stuff like pineapple and raspberries these days, rather than the choccy!

Plateaus are strange things, but I do think they can be broken. You know, I think there's maybe a psychological barrier in a lot of cases - it's not just a physical thing, the fact that your weight loss has stalled is usually linked to some reluctance or fear to change the eating plan that was working well for you before the plateau. I think that mindset can lead to the body just getting too accustomed to your daily diet. Our bodies are so efficient, after all, they're remarkable engines that will make the very most out of what they're given, and fight every step of the way to keep us protected against illness and famine. So maybe the big enemy, in terms of weight loss, can be too much routine. Getting stuck in a rut. I know that's what happened to me. I was comfortable with what I was eating, never felt hungry, had let my portion sizes gradually creep up, and felt a bit panicked by the idea of having to change my habits to get things moving again.

But I got tired of feeling stuck so I sat down and had a very reluctant look at what I was eating. I admitted to myself that I was hooked on sugary cereal for breakfast - the old coco pops! I'd get a sugar hit first thing, then get hungry soon after, and most days I'd graze on 5 or 6 Alpen light cereal bars. Sugar again. Nowhere near as bad as my former chocoholic binging patterns, but I was still hooked on sugar, and eating mostly carbs at the expense of filling protein.

Incidentally (and I'm terribly sorry for babbling here - I know I get carried away!) there was a great article in last week's New Scientist about how not all calories are created equal, because the body expends more energy to digest protein and fibre, as opposed to easily burned sugars. So it might look like a tin of sardines is hefty in the calorie line when compared to an inviting toasted crumpet, but it boosts your metabolism and digesting it requires greater energy, so it's a lot more calorifically economical than the bready treats, if that makes sense. Same goes for fibrous veggies and fruit.

I ended up getting over the plateau by varying things up a bit. Kippers and other oily fish for breakfast some days, less processed treats, even more fruit, weetabix and wholegrain cereals low in sugar instead of the kiddies' types, and I tried changing the times I ate at, and varying the calories I had each day - 1600 on monday, 1200 on tuesday, 1500 on wednesday - that kind of thing. I found I had to actually eat more calories in order to kick my metabolism back into business - but those extra calories came mostly from increased protein consumption.

I do think you're right - we're fighting a very basic primeval urge to hang on to the protective fat that we have, and that urge can manifest itself in getting emotionally dependent on a fixed eating routine. You worry that you might lose control if you have to change things, and mentally you make a lot of rational-sounding excuses as to why you shouldn't, but I think it's basically the body fighting hard to keep you eating the same things because it's got used to handling them and knows it can protectively maintain your weight if you continue eating them. It can be a bit scary just how much control the old body can exert over the mind without you even realising it!

If i sts the same this week, well i wont say what i will do cos it will be a lie but arrrrgggh! lol

I have just burnt 390 cals on my wii so its not exercise im lacking as i only have 1 rest day fromt hat a week yet i feel i may aswell have 2 rest days as things are going nowhere.

I still have 11lbs to hit my target of 10 stone and there i was thinking i was going to further it to 9stone! HMMM!!

Well ladies I weighed in today as I forgot yesterday and WHAT THE HELL..............I've put on 1lb!!!! God I'm so disappointed because I just don't know what I've done wrong. This is the first time this has happened in 7 months. Could it be I've drank too much alcohol - it's been a heavy week but no heavier than birthday week and I still lost then. Maybe it's the peanuts that go with the wine ;) I suppose it could be the cheese slices - Leermamer lighterlife I've started eating????? I think on the whole I am eating more, especially fruit which I nibble on all day.....I just don't know, but one thing I do know is that I'm going back to basics to try and sort this thing out because I have got to lose another stone in the next 7 weeks to fit into this bloody dress for the wedding!!!!

You will do it hun, keep your mind to it, its so hard though... keep your chin up, we can all do this, what are our thoughts on the next date for the next challenge, i dont think i will hit my 7lb target this week, that means losing 4lbs this week....eek

Thanks Vicky - it's just a horrible feeling though isn't it! If I'd been on some mad binge then I'd be ok about it but I've been 100%. I'm due on next week so maybe that's something to do with or am I just making excuses................ Well this challenge has been a disaster for me so roll on the next one! I thought it was hard to get out of the 11's but the 10's have turned out to be worse! I really thought I'd hit those 9's this week too as I FEEL slimmer and my clothes are looser - god knows what's going on!

Vicky 7lbs STS, STS, STS
Serafyn 7lbs
Nic68 10lbs -4lbs, STS, -2lbs, +1lbs
Debzi 7lbs -1lb STS -3lbs
Dramatic_Star 4lbs
CarefulCounter 5lbs STS STS
Chickydee - 10lbs - 2lbs off - 8lbs to go
Diminishingreturns - 8lbs to go. -3lbs, -7lbs !!!
Iris 1lb
preet 2lbs

Well guess what i think the 10's are worst too, 3 weeks i been the same and if i dont lose this week well, i will hit the roof!
If your due on just persavere, i have tended to find that i will stay the same then the week i come on i start losing then i stay the same again! Wierd, everyone normally says that you gain or sts the same ont he week of your period!

Lost 2 pounds this week, which means I am at my target goal of 9st. Such a wierd feeling. Not quite sure what to do with myself!!!!!!!! :eek:

Vicky 7lbs STS, STS, STS
Serafyn 7lbs
Dramatic_Star 4lbs -1, -1, -2
Diminishingreturns - 8lbs to go. -3lbs, -7lbs !!!
Iris 1lb
preet 2lbs

Well done :)

Hmmmm. On the plus side, lost 3lbs this week (hurrah). On the minus, today I ate fish and chips for lunch and a toasted cheese sandwich for dinner. I suspect I may put the 3lbs back on overnight. Why oh why did I do this to myself? Oh well, too late now. Back on the wagon tomorrow. Am off for a couple of weeks, so probably wont be able to get online for a while. In the meantime, well done to all who meet this month's challenge, commiserations to those that didn't - don't give up, we'll get there in the end!

Dim x

Vicky 7lbs STS, STS, STS
Serafyn 7lbs
Diminishingreturns - 8lbs to go. -3lbs, -7lbs, 3lbs !!!
Iris 1lb
preet 2lbs

Well done Dim! Nice to see at least one of us achieving a loss! Have a nice time off and we'll catch up when you return. Forget about those fish & chips too - they're in the past. (Were they nice? ;))

Well done Star and Dim!! And best of luck with your maintenance, Star, I hope you hang around to keep us all up to date with how it's going and pass on any tips please!

Hang in there Nic and Vicky. I found the last stone really slow going, and I'm still teetering away from my target. The thing is, though, even if the scales don't show a result, the tape measure may still do! So maybe get it out and take your measurements - you may find that the inches keep trimming even if the crazy scales aren't cooperating.

I only measured last week so may measure again next week or the following week. I got my shoes to match my dress for the wedding next week. Hoping to lose a bit before then to trim down even more :)

Woo hoo -2lbs for me. That is the first time in ages I have had two good losses in a row. Probably too much to hope for 3 good weeks but fingers crossed!!

Vicky 7lbs STS, STS, STS
Serafyn 7lbs
Debzi 7lbs -1lb STS -3lbs -2lbs
Iris 1lb
preet 2lbs

Ok so the last week of this challenge and i lose 4lb!!! :) Its that time of the month too...

We booked a hol to Maldives the other day for May so im no way givin up now, i wanna look perfect then!
Vicky 7lbs STS, STS, STS, -4lbs
Serafyn 7lbs
Iris 1lb
preet 2lbs

wow, you've done fabulously vicky! only half a stone to go... you must feel great!!

Back