A free-for-all Christmas prep diary, all food and non-food musings welcome!

The Paris "Sapeurs-Pompiers" calendar is more ladder and water oriented!

I made my Xmas cake at the weekend as well as Dukan friendly rhubarb 'jam' and chilli jelly. I need to get onto Xmas puds this weekend. I had never liked it until I made my own one year which was delicious; I have been makiing it ever since but the number I make seems to go up every year when friends want them. It is almost tempting not to make them this year so I'm not tempted!

We are going to my F-in-law in Wales but I am doing the cooking. His kitchen isn't very well equipped to I have to think hard about what equipment I need to take e.g sharp knives, chopping boards, pepper!

OH family like having chicken - they say they don't like turkey. It makes me laugh because they always end up with the most enormous chicken ever from the butcher and I sometimes wonder whether or not it is actually a ruddy turkey!

We are going down Xmas eve afternoon and I like to get all the veg prepped Xmas eve evening as I have no intention of peeling spuds on Christmas day!

It will be the first Xmas without MIL so I think we may have to try and be extra jolly!

Oh, MIL used to make the most delicious mince pies but I don't think I will bother - I will just buy, but I do have a really nice recipe for jammy dodgers which I thought I might make in Xmas tree shapes, because they would look really pretty.

I don't think I will buy lots of cheese this year, otherwise I will want to eat it! I think I will be quite happy with my chicken/turkey and plenty of veg. I do like my sausages in bacon, but I may make myself some quorn/turkey bacon ones and I'm sure I can use my oatbran to conjure up some kind of stuffing.

Ive got a recipe for the jammies too. I think Oliver will want to make them. Mark and my sil to be moan about not liking turkey. Mark eats whats put in front of him but last year (or the year before, cant remember) she moaned about it so much and said she wanted roasted bacon joint. So me being the person that i am went out and brought a really nice one for her. As i was dishing up she asked for a few slices of turkey! I only ever cook a crown and get the basting butter to keep it moist. Think im going to have duck this year too

and get the basting butter to keep it moist.

I adore bread sauce so, wherever I go for Christmas, I bring a jug of homemade sauce with me for the hostess! (I was once served "packet" sauce, ugh!)

Anyone daft enough to offer Yorkshire pud with their turkey? Family tradition for us (thank goodness now for Aunt Bessie's yorkshires... saves an hour of suffocating in HOT kitchen just before lunch!)

My Mum would only serve yorkshires with beef, so none on Christmas Day (we had turkey and ham). They're not eaten here (I've tried tempting people with them, but not with great success).

If anyone cares to share the jammy dodger recipe, would be grateful. We have 'lunettes' (glasses) here (speciality of the town nearest us) which are like shortbread jammy dodgers, so would love to reproduce them for Christmas. I've never dared make them thus far in case they don't measure up - husband's parents are huge fans (as are the kids).

Ive got a recipe for the jammies too. I think Oliver will want to make them. Mark and my sil to be moan about not liking turkey. Mark eats whats put in front of him but last year (or the year before, cant remember) she moaned about it so much and said she wanted roasted bacon joint. So me being the person that i am went out and brought a really nice one for her. As i was dishing up she asked for a few slices of turkey! I only ever cook a crown and get the basting butter to keep it moist. Think im going to have duck this year too

Mmmm I love duck. I frequently cook turkey (the kids think they don't like it too!) and tell them it's chicken:D I would have wanted to shove the turkey down SIL's throat:D

I adore bread sauce so, wherever I go for Christmas, I bring a jug of homemade sauce with me for the hostess! (I was once served "packet" sauce, ugh!)

Anyone daft enough to offer Yorkshire pud with their turkey? Family tradition for us (thank goodness now for Aunt Bessie's yorkshires... saves an hour of suffocating in HOT kitchen just before lunch!)

I love bread sauce too. I have yorkies, but yes Aunt Bessies - much to my Mum's disgust!! I have been put off making them - involves so much fat!

My Mum would only serve yorkshires with beef, so none on Christmas Day (we had turkey and ham). They're not eaten here (I've tried tempting people with them, but not with great success).

If anyone cares to share the jammy dodger recipe, would be grateful. We have 'lunettes' (glasses) here (speciality of the town nearest us) which are like shortbread jammy dodgers, so would love to reproduce them for Christmas. I've never dared make them thus far in case they don't measure up - husband's parents are huge fans (as are the kids).

OK, Grown Up Jammy Dodgers

275g white spelt or plain flour
175g caster sugar
275g softened butter
175g ground almonds
1/2 teaspoon cinammon
3-4 teaspoons raspberry jam
3-4 teaspoons apricot jam
1 tbspn icing sugar

1.With an electric whisk beat the flour, sugar, butter, almonds and cinammon into a dough. Use your hands to form into a ball and put in the fridge for half an hour to firm up.
2.Line 2 baking trays with baking paper
3.Preheat oven to 180c (fan) or 200, gas mark 6. Using plenty of flour roll out the dough to around 5mm thick. With an 8cm round cutter cut out your biscuits and lay on the trays. Using a small round bottle top (3cm) or similar make a hole in the centre of half of the biscuits.
4. Bake for 15 minutes and, whilst stil hot spoon half a teaspoon of jam into the mddle of the whole biscuits.
5. When cool place the holey halves on top of the whole biscuits and then dust with icing sugar.

These are truly delicious but I tend to make them a bit smaller, as at 8cm they really are quite a substantial biscuit! The kids love them too.

Oh thanks, Manda:). Guess what else will be in gift hampers? Now which shape - stars, trees, angels, snowmen... Decisions, decisions.

Oh they sound great, I bet Emma will love to make them. Must jot down the recipe later, I have some homemade strawberry jam in the cupboard that will be nice in them.
My Christmas cake smells wonderful , Its been doused in whiskey and just smells like Christmas. I need to make some lists today, get all my thoughts down on paper. mainly what I will make for hamper pressies

Grown Up Jammy Dodgers

These are truly delicious but I tend to make them a bit smaller, as at 8cm they really are quite a substantial biscuit! The kids love them too.

thank you they look gorgeous! another one for my must-try list and I'm sure the kids will love helping!

We have yorkshires with turkey if we're having it.
Last year I had quorn toad in the hole which was marvelous.

My aunt who is visiting is allergic to turkey so its beef this year.

Lol. I have a recipe for them too. Let me see if its the same and if not i'll post mine too. I'll use which ever one is easier!
Yes to homemade yorkies with turkey, i make the batter the night before

Some wonderful Christmas traditions there! And thanks very much for the recipe page link, Jo - I've copied and pasted quite a few of those to try out.

I'm hoping that my dad and stepmum will join us again for Christmas this year, depending on whether my stepmum's mum's health is okay. Whilst that will make my resolve to stick to Dukan a little more tricky, I'll be so happy if they can come and stay as I love being with family at Christmas. I've also invited some friends over to join us on Boxing Day, which will test my willpower even more, foodwise.

Usually, I create a chocolate extravaganza for Christmas as that's my famous speciality. I shall tone it down a little this year, but still plan to make the best chocolate brownies in the world and also chocolate truffle cake - none of which I will be eating myself. :-(

I'll also make turkey with all the trimmings for everyone and plenty of little treats for tea times.

One of my favourite things is making up a big Christmas stocking each for my dad and stepmum. Inside is their main present, but also lots of little unexpected treats - things I know they'll like and things which will make them laugh and smile. I love seeing the look on their faces as they open them! This year, my husband's present has come in an enormous box, so I had enormous difficulty in finding a safe hiding place and am having to steer him away from it, surreptitiously, whenever I see him heading towards the room where it is!

Bought a gorgeous new Christmas tree and can't wait to put it up, but that will probably happen on the weekend nearest to 1st December - if I can restrain myself that long.

I love Christmas!

Mine is slightly different........
225g softened butter
100g caster sugar
200g plain flour
100g ground almonds
100g strawberry jam (or jam of your choice)
By hand beat sugar and butter, leave to rest for a few mins then mix in processor with flour & almonds until it forms a ball, wrap in clingfilm and leave in the fridge for 1hr.
Remove and knead until soft to shape and roll.
Divide into 2 balls.
Roll out to approx 5mm thick, then using shape of your choice cut out and place onto baking sheet (i line mine with greaseproof paper)
Do the same with the other dough ball but cut a circle out of the middle of these shapes.
Cook all on baking sheet for 20-30mins 140d fan oven (sorry dont know about other ovens) or until brown
Remove and cool
Blob jam in the middle of the biscuit (wothout the hole in the middle) then place the holy biscuit on top and push down gently
Do not worry if jam becomes messy
Keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days (poss more but id like to see them last that long!)

lovely thread...

Chez - we did used to have homemade yorkies but with everything else in the oven needing a lower cooking temperature, it was so complicated having 45-50 mins at full blast right at the end. Plus my sister is vegetarian, would always have "salmon en croute" which didn't like the yorkie temperature! Now easier admittedly with double ovens, but I prefer using the second one to "hold" stuffing balls etc - and of course we have to have several sorts with a vegetarian in the house!

DD - your stockings sound good... I admit to having had a stocking from my parents way into my 20s... some years we've set a £10 limit on stockings, and done one for one person in the family so that everyone has one. Useful little funny things!

Post your list Cathy... might jog my memory!

If you really wanted them Jo you can make the night before and then re heat them as you are serving up

Lol. I have a recipe for them too. Let me see if its the same and if not i'll post mine too. I'll use which ever one is easier!
Yes to homemade yorkies with turkey, i make the batter the night before

The ground almonds are nice in my recipe - it is from the Faye Ripley cook book.

Aha - have just read yours - it has almonds too - they are very similar recipes but yours look a little bit less naughty so I may try that instead.

Back