Anyone heard of the 12 steps?

Cake'n'eat it

I had a big lapse last week and got through a whole heap of carbs. Ever opened a packet of crisps and just wanted to dive in? Thats what I wanted to do - head first.

My LLC told me I should try the 12 steps - something to do with addictive behaviour and to just focus on getting through, each minute, each hour , each day and not thing about getting through tommorow.

Does anyone know anything about this? I think it might help as I am sure I am ( crooked thinking - must stop, slap slap slap) a closet Carb addict. Of course what I mean to say is sometimes I get get strong cravings for carbs that I need to overcome.

Words of wisdom - anyone?

Isnt the 12 steps what they follow at alcoholics anonymous?
Should in theory work for any type of addiction though.

I think carb addiction is one of the strongest addictions to break. For one thing you can buy the damn things all over the place and they're advertised ontelly every minute of the day. I have'nt heard of the twelve steps but will do some reserch and email any links.

xx

Apparantly:

1. We admitted we were powerless over food; that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs

Apparantly if you don't believe in God most people believe in some higher power and it looks to me about letting go of trying to control my self and believing that I have some purpose. It also looks as if its about being honest with myself.

Hmmmmmmmm..... looks quite complicated....... I need to give it more thought. I wonder if there is a simpler version?

1. We admitted we were powerless over our addiction - that our lives had become unmanageable
  2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood God
  4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves
  5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs
  6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character
  7. Humbly asked God to remove our shortcomings
  8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all
  9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others
  10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it
  11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood God, praying only for knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out
  12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs
I think this site gives a very good understand about the steps and how you can incorporate them into your life.

Basically you can work on one step at a time and they help you become aware of yourself and what it is your feeling and doing....

Steps in the 12 Step program

Love Mini xxx

Thanks guys - I need to have a closer look at this stuff. I'm stuggling over even step one - I just can't face the thought that I am powerless over something in my life. Surely thats just an excuse to give up?

Well dont give up hon, you only have a tiny amount to go, dont press the self destruct button. To quote well known saying, Your'e worth it.

xx

Thanks Dawn. I know I am building myself up for a tough weekend and probably making it worse because I am creating all these demons and expectations. This is my last week before management and I just want to get through it. I'm just gonna grit my teeth and focus on the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for all your support. Gaijingirl - I think there probably is something in these 12 steps and I will definitely give it more thought after all, all these addiction places must have some idea what there talking about?

Back