Attitude to fat people

Guenevere

Getting married July 2011
I remember reading a thread on here before, about how badly some of us have been treated because of our weight, either by people saying things, or by missing out on things.
Do you think when you lose weight we will be very sensitive to people who still have weight problems or will we be snooty skinnies??

Guen

I remember reading a thread on here before, about how badly some of us have been treated because of our weight, either by people saying things, or by missing out on things.
Do you think when you lose weight we will be very sensitive to people who still have weight problems or will we be snooty skinnies??

Guen

Crikey, this is a really good question... I want to say to you that I am really empathetic to other overweight people, but I just get annoyed inside with them cause I look at them and see me and assume that because I'm unhappy they must be !!! I especially get upset when I see really chubby kids as I know they will have problems thru to adulthood. I would NEVER say anything hurtful though as I do understand, having had a weight problem for most of my adult life - lets face who am I to judge !!! :(

nope only recently I snapped at some twat for taking the pi55 out of someone who was carrying some extra pounds

nope only recently I snapped at some twat for taking the pi55 out of someone who was carrying some extra pounds

Well done. It must have come as a shock to them as you are uber gorgeous (I spied your pics a few weeks ago :giggle:) and slim and they were probably wondering why you were sticking up for a 'fattie'.

xx

I'm with ya on this one....have struggled with my weight since forever...and can honestly say - no matter what weight I am - I ALWAYS feel empathy towards those who are carrying extra weight :(

Debz x

no matter how i look when i loose my weight i will always be able to empathize with larger people, i was bullied really badly in high school and it has stuck with me up until now, i have always been concious of my weight to the extent that it took over my life and made me a very unhappy person.

I just hope the bullies in school can see me when i loose the weight and i will have the last laugh!

I'm going to make a confession and I'm sure you are all going to hate me for it.

One of the reasons I decided to do this diet was I was in a restaurant and a lady opposite was eating. She was huge and had a huge meal. She didn't come up for air. I have never seen anyone put food away like she did. It was like she'd been deprived of food for days and couldnt' shift it quick enough. I couldnt take my eyes off her although I knew it was wrong. I started to think what makes her eat like that and felt really sorry for her....I wondered if she was really sad because she looked it and me looking at her probably didn't help matters. I looked at her and thought I would hate anyone to be looking at me eating and thinking the same, so I decided to do Lipotrim and do something about the weight.

I wish I could go back and not look at her so much or if I did, just give her a reassuring smile.

Cant hate you for that Shazza xxxx

Ok...just playing devil's advocate here...but isn't it possible that, having been through what we went through with weight on, and having gone through losing it too, we may find it difficult to respect people who haven't lost it yet?? I'm bringing this up cos I'm scared I'll turn I'll turn into a right cow.

I do empathize with those of us who carry more weight than we should although having got of my backside to do something about it - I do find it hard to listen to overweight people moaning about their weight yet carrying on eating! For example I work with an overweight lady and she has tried every tablet available through the NHS - she's just started on the new one available (the name of which I forget) yet just today she went out for chinese at lunchtime came back with cream cakes! I have told her I'm on LT and she just thought I was completely barmy! Every day she moans about her weight yet is unwilling to change her lifestyle and worse still she seems to enjoy trying to make me fail - leaves biscuits, sweets, cakes etc on my desk and then sends me emails daring me to eat something!

Having said all that I do totally understand the difficulty in getting the self esteem together to do something about it, it took me years and this forum to do something about it. I think good support is the way forward! And I do think there are some overweight people who are totally happy with there lot!

Sorry about the rant guys!

Ok...just playing devil's advocate here...but isn't it possible that, having been through what we went through with weight on, and having gone through losing it too, we may find it difficult to respect people who haven't lost it yet?? I'm bringing this up cos I'm scared I'll turn I'll turn into a right cow.

To be PC it would be great to be able to say - you're fine as you are, you don't need to lose weight, you're never a size 18, You look really happy, you're always a great laugh blah blah - IMOA the reality is of course that most people that
are overweight are unhappy with the fact - but I don't think we should feel sorry for them or ourselves, we all have choices, to do something about it or not - I think it's ok to have an personal opinion about someone, but we shouldn't be judgmental, who knows why they are overweight - keep an inner council (Shaz - stop staring:p)

I dont think i will become like that at all. even now when i see overweight people i feel sorry, sad for them(thats how i felt).i feel like running up to them and telling them about lipotrim/cd..maybe they have never heard about vlcd's and they might be missing out on doing something about there weight. god im rambaling now!!

Fatism is the last ism that seems to be 'acceptable' - by OH was described by one of his new bosses last week at the 'fat bloke with a beard '- when he told me I kicked off, he said he was so dumstruck that he didn;t say anything and he talks for a living!!! He is great at his job, articulate, funny and a lovely bloke but what others see is 'a fat bloke' shocking really - it will come back and bite his bosses arse though - especially when I get to meet him !!!!!

At least I'm not ginger.....

I do empathize with those of us who carry more weight than we should although having got of my backside to do something about it - I do find it hard to listen to overweight people moaning about their weight yet carrying on eating! For example I work with an overweight lady and she has tried every tablet available through the NHS - she's just started on the new one available (the name of which I forget) yet just today she went out for chinese at lunchtime came back with cream cakes! I have told her I'm on LT and she just thought I was completely barmy! Every day she moans about her weight yet is unwilling to change her lifestyle and worse still she seems to enjoy trying to make me fail - leaves biscuits, sweets, cakes etc on my desk and then sends me emails daring me to eat something!

Having said all that I do totally understand the difficulty in getting the self esteem together to do something about it, it took me years and this forum to do something about it. I think good support is the way forward! And I do think there are some overweight people who are totally happy with there lot!

Sorry about the rant guys!

Stupid woman ! - she will more than likely always be overweight - you won't :D

This is a very interesting subject. I've been overweight most of my life, and at University did my dissertation on how fat people were portrayed in the media. One summer, a friend of mine went home and lost something like 4 stone - she smoked instead of ate. We were all incredibly impressed with her, but slowly her attitude towards us changed. And when I held a small discussion group with several of our overweight friends we asked her how she felt now she had lost the weight. And she said 'It was time to do something. You lot may be happy looking like beached whales but if I can do it, anyone can so there's no excuse' :eek: :eek: There was a deadly silence, but strangely enough she didn't think she had said anything wrong - she was just telling the truth as she saw it.

Was a lesson to me - a lesson never to forget how I felt at my biggest, to not look down on anyone, and to remember that given the right circumstances any of us could put the weight back on again.

Unfortunately she did, but in the meantime she lost a lot of friends. :(

what is it about ginger ffs if I was ginger that would be equal to saying at least im not chinese or black or disabled or even fat. Im not having a dig but it seems some slagging off is acceptable.
Maybe im just a miserable old, single, greying, short ex-fat ba5tard.

what is it about ginger ffs if I was ginger that would be equal to saying at least im not chinese or black or disabled or even fat. Im not having a dig but it seems some slagging off is acceptable.
Maybe im just a miserable old, single, greying, short ex-fat ba5tard.

My tongue was firmly in cheek ;)

Totally agree that if you substitute ginger for any other colour / race / gender persuasion / body type description then it'd be out of order...

Depends on the tone & inflection 'suppose....

"You sexy ginger studmuffin" would be acceptable (however unlikely)

"You ginger b**tard...." wouldn't

Back