Beginners' Running Challenge - for those of us for whom running does not come easy

Big run tomorrow morning hope te rain stops

Re: Beginners Running Challenge - for those of us for whom running does not come easy

Hi can I join? Im just starting out running after being exercise shy my whole life!
currently im doing around 2miles mostly walking with little bursts of run in between, how long does it take to build up fitness and be able to run further?

Hi can I join? Im just starting out running after being exercise shy my whole life!
currently im doing around 2miles mostly walking with little bursts of run in between, how long does it take to build up fitness and be able to run further?

Try couch to 5k as a starting point :D
Its a nine week programme and starts with 60 second runs.

Just go to nhs well choices website and download the podcasts x

Second run of the week 2.8 miles.Thursday 2.8 milesSaturday 8.3 milesWeeks total 13.9 miles

Hi Shrimp. In the 10s too, you're a lean, mean running machine!!!!

Not sure about the lean yet Lynne but running machine I will take...ha ha.

once I have done the first mile I am in the zone. It's just a bit of a knee problem and an old groin strain that seems to kick in at about 6.5 miles. I am hoping it goes away?!?

but my training is about 6 weeks ahead of where it should be

OMG you two put me to shame. I'm dong Chesterfield Race for Life tomorrow morning. Reckon it will be more walking than running though!

OMG you two put me to shame. I'm dong Chesterfield Race for Life tomorrow morning. Reckon it will be more walking than running though!

Good luck! I'll be doing a lot of walking on the 10km race for life in two weeks, I'll have to let my gym bunny friends run ahead :) xx

Lynne the atmosphere will keep you going...good luck buddy

I'm looking forward to it! I'm viewing this one as a practice for the Huddersfield one next month.

Actually ran today. Did the Chesterfield Race for Life in 44mins 53 seconds which is an average of 15.27 miles. Also used up 365 calories. That is PRETTY IMPRESSIVE for me!!!!!!!

Day 1: Distance 1.97 miles in 35.02 minutes. Average speed 17.49 minutes per mile. Calories 235.
Day 2: Distance 2.05 miles in 33.52 minutes. Average speed 16.29 minutes per mile. Calories 251. :stickdance:
Day 3: 7 mile walk
Day 4: Rest day
Day 5: Distance 1.94 miles in 33.17 minutes. Average speed 17.07 minutes per mile. Calories 243.
Sunday 16th June 2.92 miles in 44.53 minutes. Average speed 15.27 minutes per mile. Calories 365. :bliss:

Did 5 miles today at an average pace of 12.54 which considering I had a late night at work and only got 6 hours sleep isnt too bad :D

OK show off!!!!!! :jelous: Not that I'm jealous or anything! Lol. Definately going to have to up my game to catch you up..... :) Well done, that's excellant :clap:

Well done to you both

OK show off!!!!!! :jelous: Not that I'm jealous or anything! Lol. Definately going to have to up my game to catch you up..... :) Well done, that's excellant :clap:

:eek: sorry hadnt seen your post when I added mine, certainly wasnt trying to show off as I have a long long way to go still!

Congrats on your run, it definately gets easier the more you do it x

:eek: sorry hadnt seen your post when I added mine, certainly wasnt trying to show off as I have a long long way to go still!

Don't worry fultham Lynne was only playing she's lovely and not easily offended :) well done on your running, I'm still waiting for mine to get easier lol. Xx

Monday 4.1 miles down and hopefully next run tomorrow.

fingers crossed

Hi Fulltum! I was joking. I know I've got a long way to go and really admire those of you who are able to run significant distances.

Don't worry fultham Lynne was only playing she's lovely and not easily offended :) well done on your running, I'm still waiting for mine to get easier lol. Xx

Thanks BB.

Back