Beginners' Running Challenge - for those of us for whom running does not come easy

Monday 4.1 miles down and hopefully next run tomorrow.

fingers crossed

Well done Shrimp. You'll be really toned as well as skinny! I've had a rest day today but I'm going to TRY and get up at 5 tomorrow morning to go for a run!

Hi Fulltum! I was joking. I know I've got a long way to go and really admire those of you who are able to run significant distances.

Phew thought I had offended you then x

Im still amazed that my legs dont collapse during each run lol

Another monday means another week closer to the Great North Run!

5 weeks till the National Lottery anniversary run and 14 weeks until GNR :eek:

Just did a 4 mile run at an average pace of 12.44 which is ok as I finished on a pretty steep hill (plus it was my Birthday yesterday so I am even older now lol)

Plan for the rest of the week is
Wednesday - 2 miles
Thursday - 4 miles
Sunday - 6 miles

Full tun...I am also doing the GNR. Have you do it before?
pplymscuba - well done running to and from work that is brilliant

Well done Fulltum and Plymscuba!

Monday 4.1 miles.
tuesday 2.6 miles.

total 6.7 miles for the week so far...that's it for at least a week. As going into hospital for eye op tomorrow and not sure how long I can wait until I can run again

Did a short little 2 mile run this morning at an average pace of 12.20 :D am really pleased as this is my fastest pace yet but I doubt I could maintain it over longer distances :rolleyes:

Another 4 miles planned for tomorrow

I'm really struggling to get ou running. I keep saying I will run when I get home from work but don't get back until 7.30 and once I've got back can't motivate myself so set my alarm for 5 to run before foing to work but then keep putting it on snooze and don't get up in time. Im going to have to get my act together!!!!!!

I'm really struggling to get ou running. I keep saying I will run when I get home from work but don't get back until 7.30 and once I've got back can't motivate myself so set my alarm for 5 to run before foing to work but then keep putting it on snooze and don't get up in time. Im going to have to get my act together!!!!!!

I have found having a
challenge good motivation :)
I am on a tight training plan for GNR so can't afford to miss a single run come rain or shine!
Maybe sign upto a 10k in say 12 weeks time and then undertake bridge to 10k so that you have to train. Make sure its a sponsored run and tell everyone you are doing it so you can't back out x

Been for another 4 mile run this morning but only managed an average pace of 13.01 I could tell from the off that it would be a slower time this morning and I just couldnt push it faster. Oh well 2 rest days from running and then my first ever 6 miler on sunday :D

Been for another 4 mile run this morning but only managed an average pace of 13.01 I could tell from the off that it would be a slower time this morning and I just couldnt push it faster. Oh well 2 rest days from running and then my first ever 6 miler on sunday :D

Hi, you're doing very well. What time did you get up this morning? I'm doing another Race for life next month but will take your advice and sign upfor a 10k after that to give me incentive.

Hi, you're doing very well. What time did you get up this morning? I'm doing another Race for life next month but will take your advice and sign upfor a 10k after that to give me incentive.[/QUOTE ]

I was up at 515 am :eek:
But I like running early when no one is around to laugh at me :rolleyes:
Have you thought about doing couch to 5k? You could either skip the first couple of weeks or use them to increase speed. Its really good to help build stamina and then follow on with the bridge to 10k one
Good luck with the 5k xx

Well done ladies. I did manager a 3 miler last night.

I did the GNR years ago - they had Status Quo at the start line. It was a great atmosphere. I just remember running down to the finish line by the sea and it was pouring rain and wind in my face!! Mind you I'd rather rain than sun :D x

Last edited:
Monday 4.1 miles.
tuesday 2.6 miles.

Thursday 2.7 mile walk...that's all I can do!

This year will be my 3rd GNR...last September I I'd say I would not do it again, that 10k was the perfect distance for me. But when they where closing the lottery for places I pressed send approximate 10 minutes before it closed. I never told my family for a month.

Wow good effort Shrimp! Rather you than me. Funny I always used to say 10k is the perfect amount without having to put in too much training!

Hope the eye op isn't a detached retina? I had to take 6mths off exercise for that, in fact thats when the weight gain started! x

Actually did a run today at lunchtime. Ran with a colleague along the canal in Dewsbury. A bit rough to say the least as there were a group of daytime drinkers sat with their cans on the bank side. Did 2.07 miles in 32.36 minutes. Improving! We're doing the same run on Tuesday and I'm going to try and fit a couple of runs in before then!

Day 1: Distance 1.97 miles in 35.02 minutes. Average speed 17.49 minutes per mile. Calories 235.
Day 2: Distance 2.05 miles in 33.52 minutes. Average speed 16.29 minutes per mile. Calories 251. :stickdance:
Day 3: 7 mile walk
Day 4: Rest day
Day 5: Distance 1.94 miles in 33.17 minutes. Average speed 17.07 minutes per mile. Calories 243.
Sunday 16th June 2.92 miles in 44.53 minutes. Average speed 15.27 minutes per mile. Calories 365. :bliss:
Friday 21st July 2.07 miles in 32.36 minutes.Average speed 15.44 minutes per mile. Calories 259.

Back