Consolidation Dukandebut's Trying to Stay the Same Diary

Feeling tired today so still haven't had breakfast, which is a bit naughty.

Normal PV day today:

B Yoghurt with oatbran, small glass of fruit juice
L Ham and coleslaw sandwich, yoghurt
D Courgette and minced beef gratin with salad, followed by crème au chocolat

DD, I don't know if that's a normal day's food for you (don't tend to look at menus much) but it doesn't seem very much. Unless it's huge quantities of course.

I ate far more on conso and didn't gain. Just wouldn't want to see another loss for you.

Sorry if this is naggy:eek:.

You're not being naggy at all, Laura. I appreciate the help!

If I tell you the quantities, would you please let me know whether you think I'm eating enough?

Breakfast
Typically, 1 x 120g yoghurt with 2 tbsp oatbran mixed in.
Sometimes I have a yoghurt with one of my toffee muffins in addition. Both of these are usually followed by a small glass of apple juice. I'm usually not very hungry in the morning so this tends to be as much as I feel I can manage at that time.

Lunch
Typically, my bread ration of 40-50g wholemeal bread made into a sandwich with a big, very thick slice of deli ham (sorry, don't know how much it weighs - but I was worried that it might even be far too much!) or 2 slices of the best supermarket ham I can find and a large dollop (maybe 3 heaped tblsp) of homemade Dukan coleslaw.
Or a cheese sandwich, using the bread ration, my 40g cheese ration (Cheddar) and the same amount of coleslaw.
Or a 3 egg omelette (complete eggs - whites and yolks plus just a little skimmed milk) with a filling of 4 mushrooms, 2 spring onions or chives and my cheese ration plus my bread ration. If I have any salad left over, this gets added to my lunch.
For PP days, I might have 3 rashers of turkey bacon (each one looks about the same size as normal bacon rashers) and about 180g of cottage cheese. Or 3 full eggs scrambled with skimmed milk and a small amount of chives. Or a galette plus a quarter of the minced beef meatloaf recipe from the Dukan book and a mini gherkin.
Lunch is always followed by 1 x 120g yoghurt, and occasionally I add in a toffee muffin or 2.

If I'm feeling hungry between lunch and dinner, I'll have another 120g yoghurt or a muffin.

Dinner
This varies quite a lot, but I do tend to give myself large portions as this is my main meal of the day and I have more time to prepare food.
Tonight's menu gives an idea, size-wise, of a typical meal which fills up a 27cm dinner plate.
My portion of the gratin amounts to:
2 courgettes
150g minced beef
1 tblsp tomato purée
1/2 onion
1 full egg
2 heaped tblsp fromage frais
40g Cheddar cheese
Then about 4 heaped tblsp of mixed lettuce leaves and grated carrot.

This is followed by a 9cm diameter ramekin of the crème au chocolat from the Dukan book (egg yolks, skimmed milk, 1 tsp cocoa powder, sweetener, almond and vanilla essences, small amount of corn flour).

That does tend to keep me feeling full and keeps my cravings in check. If I need to eat more, I don't think I could manage any additions at breakfast time (eating too much then makes me feel bloated and sickly), but I could add extra at either lunch or dinner if necessary. Lunch would be the best option as I tend to feel stuffed full after dinner!

I guess this is a Dukan version of how I'd normally eat anyway - light breakfast (I often used to skip it before the diet, but always eat one now), sandwich for lunch, big dinner.

Thanks for your help, Laura.

Last edited:
OK, it seems fine. The breakfast is a bit light (imo) but if you can't manage to eat much in the morning then it's not that bad.

I'd have something mid-morning if possible (since breakfast isn't substantial) although couldn't say what - my snack of choice is always fruit.

You could enter your menu into myfitnesspal and see how many calories that gives you. I did this on a PV conso day (with cheese and bread), then PV conso + carbs (and didn't dare do it on gala meal days;)). For info, PP days are horribly low (900 or so although mine has veg in, but that's low-carb so not much different), PV conso + carbs (plus my extra fruit) gives me about 1700 calories which is (I presume) enough to maintain while allowing for the odd gala meal (which is then compensated by the PP or strict PV day, of course). I think I probably have less than 400 gr of starch per week (which is what Dr D advises on conso) but it's spread out over 5 days.

That's really helpful, thanks, Laura, and the calorie amounts are very interesting. I guessed that the PP days would be low, but didn't realise just how low - wow!

I agree about my breakfast being a bit light, but food just doesn't seem to sit well on my stomach at that time a day, for some reason. Good idea about the mid-morning snack, though. That's a definite possibility. I'll have to think about it as I don't want to overdo the dairy by adding another yoghurt (which is the easiest option). I suppose that I could always bake a batch of muffins and just have 1 mid-morning (would take me over my oatbran allowance, but I think that would still be okay as it shouldn't be too much over). I'm always happy to have a toffee muffin! ;-)

Off to see the nurse shortly for my asthma check. Am hoping she'll be pleased as my weightloss has meant that I'm affected very much less by exertion-onset asthma. And I won't have to cover my eyes and ask her not to let me know the result when she weighs me this time! ;-)

A normal PV day today, so I'll be having:

B Yoghurt with oatbran, small glass of fruit juice
L Cheese, mushroom and chive omelette with whatever other spare veg I have around, then a yoghurt
D Huge bowl of creamy cauliflower and broccoli soup (the creamy part is lots of milk) with bread ration. Might also have some meat (probably ham) if that's not filling enough. Followed by crème au chocolat

YESSSS!!!!!!! Just got my best EVER peak flow score during my asthma check! :)

In fact, the nurse was so impressed by how well I did and how well I look that she has noted down details of the Dukan diet and is seriously thinking of doing it herself!

Stuff that in your sensationalist lethal-crash-diet pipe and smoke it, Channel 4!!!!! ;-)

Good luck with the nurse. have you seen her mid-loss or is this the first time since you started?

I was 2 stone heavier when I last saw her, jaqys, so she's noticed a really big difference.

I'm so thrilled to bits. Just goes to show that losing weight isn't just about making you look better, it's about making you feel better, too. :D

That's really excellent news DD...

YESSSS!!!!!!! Just got my best EVER peak flow score during my asthma check! :)

In fact, the nurse was so impressed by how well I did and how well I look that she has noted down details of the Dukan diet and is seriously thinking of doing it herself!

Stuff that in your sensationalist lethal-crash-diet pipe and smoke it, Channel 4!!!!! ;-)

WOW WOW WOW Well done!!

Well done DD - great news! (The people who did that documentary should have interviewed us.;))

Well done DD - great news! (The people who did that documentary should have interviewed us.;))

Abso-blooming-lutely, Laura!!!! :D

This must sound pathetic but I was so stupidly excited about my peak-flow scores that I even immediately rang my dad and husband to tell them. :eek:

The thing is that my lungs are smaller than most because of my tiny body frame, plus the type of arthritis I have affects my lungs and diaphragm so, along with the asthma, I have a pretty low lung capacity. To finally get a result like this is amazing! I am so, so happy about it! :D (If you didn't already realise that from my insane ramblings. :eek:;):D)

well done hun !!! im hoping my peak flow is better this week too
i am finding im a bit less breathless at the moment so fingers xxxx

ive been told mine probably isnt asthma ....and as the x ray was clear im think more im just unfit , would be nice !!!
losing weight has made it alot better

Does dairy affect either of you?

Scrumper - In that case, you should hopefully see an even bigger difference than me with the weight loss. Excellent!

Jo - No, it doesn't seem to affect my breathing. My probs are mostly with allergic reactions to NSAIDs, animal fur, pollen and dust mites, plus exertion (walking up hill, running, too much cardio), cold air and colds/'flu. Dairy is one of the few things which doesn't seem to bother me - LOL! ;-)

Normal PV today. Unfortunately, one of my muffin rations went AWOL (stolen by a VERY naughty, but beautiful, little cat) so that is missing from today's menu.

B Yoghurt, muffin, small glass of apple juice
L Left-over cauli and broccoli soup with toasted cheese and spring onion sandwich, followed by a muffin
D Sunset oven-cooked pork steaks with broccoli, followed by a muffin (should have been 2 muffins if naughty cat incident hadn't taken place)

Back