Em's diary

It's true that Emma manages to make two x chicken meals in one day look interesting! That's quite a feat!!

Ha ha - thanks :)

To be honest you can blame my other half - he wanted to cook the chicken for dinner as it's one of his favourites. We split it out when it's cooked and he puts creme fraiche in his and serves it with rice. I take a spoon with mine so I can eat all the broth that's left over!

Today's menu as follows:

B: Half cinnamon galette
L: peppered smoked mackerel fillet & half can tuna (if necessary)
D: Turkey meatloaf - doing double quantities today so OH can have some for his tea too & there'll be some left over for lunches.

We spent the first week or two pretty much cooking seperately, but it's no good for long term I don't think so I'm trying to make sure we can have the same thing even if we have to split it out to make half of it dukan friendly.

Snacks: the rest of my galette and some sweetened greek yogurt will appear somewhere I'm sure!

My other half eats whatever Dukan thing I'm having, and "adds" to it if he so chooses... initially, he ate completely differently to me and then realised that he was "missing out" (his words) and because I regularly treated myself to prawns or a nice piece of fish, he preferred what I was having to his boring regular fodder. Now I find he joins me in the week, even for the odd PP meal, and adds in fruit and maybe a bowl of cereal! Weekends he's a disaster... and we eat completely differently.

B: half cinnamon galette
L: 2 slices leftover turkey meatloaf
D: Sirloin steak with dukan mayo
S: rest of galette

B: half cinnamon galette (pattern forming here - but i can take them to work and half will keep me going till lunchtime, which is a huge bonus with an early start)
L: Leftover meatloaf
D: Chicken with ginger, chilli & lime cooked in a low salt stock & thickened with quark (made double so can have this for lunch tomorrow too)

i've found that anything with stock even low salt slows down the loss but i think it's a temporary thing as the numbers are still going steadily down, so i think it's a price worth paying a couple of times a week.

sweetened greek yogurt and rest of galette to follow, yum!

Sounding good... I'm a boring eater, whether overeating or dieting, so am always pathetically grateful in either case for whatever I am about to receive... but I know that some people like more variety and taste to their food, so I'm learning from people like you with your more adventurous meals! Particularly on PP, where I've a tendency to copy and paste the same old (which are my favourite foods, salmon, prawns and chicken!)

I used to be more adventurous on PP days. Now, it's just a day to be got through without feeling hungry:eek:. That ginger/chili/lime chicken sounds great though - I do a nice lemon/ginger chicken but need pickled lemons for that and lots of olives, served with couscous so not Dukan-friendly really.

I suspect it will get worse on phase IV as (if I recall - have lost book) I think you have to lose the tolerated items?

Robin - ref Stabilisation - it's not so much that we lose the tolerated items, rather that we're eating "normally" (ahem) so we're not counting them as such any longer...

On other French websites I have frequented, many stick close to Conso rules in Stabilisation having seen some others trip up... I will (would!) I'm sure...

Even if that's true though, it's still only one day a week, which I think should be doable. Plus you're up to three tablespoons of oat bran then, which is practically 2 meals in itself!

Been adventurous in the kitchen again this evening as on PV day.

B: Cinnamon galette
L: Left over ginger chilli chicken with broccoli and green beans
D: Steak 'diane' with broccoli - while the steak was resting i cooked a shallot, 2 garlic cloves and a large handful of mushrooms in the steak pan using a little water to help scrape up all the lovely steaky bits. Once cooked took off the heat to cool a little and stirred in some quark to make it all creamy. Honestly couldn't tell it was dukan friendly.

YUM!

Will probably indulge in some sweetened greek yogurt later on - why not, it's friday!

YUM at your steak idea!

Dinner was a little sparse last night, as I could have done with going shopping but the weather was atrocious and it was more a case of getting home in one piece.

That's definitely a fair comment, but the problem is what kind. I'm trying to avoid prepackaged ham and chicken as it's reformed and so contains more starch and fat. My real problem I think is lunches at work, especially on PP as we've only a microwave in the office. It would help I think if I was an egg fan, but can only really manage them as an omlette or scrambled (and even then it's a bit of a struggle) I'm doing ok I think - not really too hungry as the galettes are so filling, and I've plenty of yogurts in so they help too.

Anyone have bright ideas for lunch in the office? The best lunches I've had so far have been leftovers, but then you need to have had something tasty the night before (and have some left over!) I've tried home cooked chicken legs/thighs, but they become so dry once they've been cooked and then chilled in the fridge. Cooking a ham is fine, but I don't want to go too heavy on that because of the salt content...
when I need to take a lunch with me to work I make a galette bigger and thinner than normal and use it as a wrap, I lay it out on a chopping board and coat it with some chilli mayo made out of an egg yolk, fromage frais, chilli powder and pepper then I put either chicken, ham or slices of salmon on top and roll it up like a wrap, then wrap it in cling film until I need it....lovely

Wow Emma!! Have just read through your diary - I wish I could think of things to cook like you!! Your menus look fab - you seem to have really got grips with the cruise phase. Please keep posting to give the rest of us some inspiration!!

Melanie x

Thanks Kay, that's a really good idea - i'll give it a go this week. I've been trying to cook with enough leftovers to be able to take some in for lunch but it would be nice to feel like i'm having a 'sandwich' type lunch occasionally.

Cheers Melly, glad to be of service! I know I'd never stick with this if I was just eating plain chicken and fish so I've been working hard to keep it interesting. Let me know how you get on if you try any of my experiments!

Yesterday was potentially a bit of a disaster. Had the normal galette for brunch, but we had a house party to go to in Liverpool. Usually when we go over someone cooks so I was planning on just eating that without the carbs, but it was more like party food this time. Sausage rolls, vol au vents and crisps! Am very proud to say that I didn't touch a single one, and proclaiming to not be eating wheat I ordered a chicken kebab from a takeaway and left the pitta. To be fair the chicken was really really salty, but I figured a few days water retention would be better than eating fat or carbs. It means I didn't eat nearly enough yesterday, but I seem to be able to get away with less at the weekends anyway.

Also - I went armed with come cans of diet coke, and didn't have a single alcoholic drink! Was nice to get up this morning feeling fine while everyone else was nursing hangovers :)

Today's been better - galette for brunch, homemade beanless and vegetable free chilli and some sweetened greek yogurt

Emma - excellent strategy at your friends' this weekend. No one's going to argue with the wheat avoidance, so I'll file that away for next time I need a good excuse.

Kay / Emma - keep those ideas coming... most of the people struggling with the diet (myself included) are more lazy cooks seemingly so you guys will give us some good ideas for the future (from Jan for me).

I love Kay's chili mayo idea... keep those ideas coming ladies!

For the arriving with diet coke, I do that too... designated yourself driver is a good one

Yesterday:

B: Half cinnamon galette
L: Half cinnamon galette & sweetened greek yogurt
D: Turkey meatloaf

Plus 25 mins on the airwalker, definitely need to up the exercise now!

Yesterday was potentially a bit of a disaster. Had the normal galette for brunch, but we had a house party to go to in Liverpool. Usually when we go over someone cooks so I was planning on just eating that without the carbs, but it was more like party food this time. Sausage rolls, vol au vents and crisps! Am very proud to say that I didn't touch a single one, and proclaiming to not be eating wheat I ordered a chicken kebab from a takeaway and left the pitta. To be fair the chicken was really really salty, but I figured a few days water retention would be better than eating fat or carbs. It means I didn't eat nearly enough yesterday, but I seem to be able to get away with less at the weekends anyway.

Also - I went armed with come cans of diet coke, and didn't have a single alcoholic drink! Was nice to get up this morning feeling fine while everyone else was nursing hangovers :)

Hey WELL DONE!! And great strategy too. I tend(ed) not to go anywhere without a couple of pots of yoghurt or/and a cold 1-egg omelette for backup and a can of 'diet' something, and hoping there'd be some veg to nibble on :D

Thanks Anja, was really proud of myself for being strong. Tomorrow is work xmas party so i'm hoping i can behave then too!

Yesterday:
B: half cinnamon galette
L: leftover turkey meatloaf
D: Wasn't really hungry as had quite a large portion of lunch, so just had rest of galette and yogurt

B: cinnamon galette
L: turkey meatloaf
D: roast dinner at mum & dad's - lovely roast beef and vegetables with just a little dribble of gravy. Managed to resist the yorkshire puddings and roast potatoes, but it wasn't too much of a strain to be honest - I'd have had 2nds and even thirds of those in the olden days... Also plumped for a yogurt for pudding instead of the xmas pud and rum sauce that everyone else indulged in.

Back