Ex-bulimics?

Emma!

Slimming to size sexy ;)
I've noticed around the forums a few ex-bulimic/eating disoeder recoverers, and thoufht we should have a forum where we could chat. I suffered with restricting from 11-13, then bulimia till 16. I'm now pretty much recovered and trying to get back to my pre-eating disorder weight, but losing weight with a past ED is a struggle at times. Sorry if this is inappropriate or whatrver, feel free to delete :) just thought it'd be nice...

Hi, Emma! :)

I started restricting heavily when I hit puberty, I survived on Diet Coke & a cup-a-soup for so long, It was absolutely HORRIBLE. :\

Then for the past 2 years I've been bingeing & purging but I think I'm pretty much recovered now. I'm just upset that I gained so much weight via Bulimia.

I am now practically Obese (just putting that out there because people need to know that Bulimia doesn't necessarily make you skinny),

I'm now happy to diet & lose weight healthily. I want to get the bulk off using a VLCD, and then move on to Slimming World to maintain & learn to trust food more.

Good luck! :) :) :)

wow, it's scary how similar we sound! i did the same thing; restricted and lost a lot of weight, then binged and purged, but then it turned into a cycle which lasted a good five years or so. but it's lead to my weight spiralling out of control!

i know what you mean about learning to trust food again, it's so hard! good luck hun, you can do it! :)

I suffered with it from 16-19 especially when i started university at 18. I ended up having to quit uni and go back home and get help. It got so bad i was purging even when not over eating. The result of it all was that i also ended up putting weight on. I'm alot better now than what i used to be but i know its always going to be with me :( my gums are ruined and if anything thats what helps me think twice about doing it! trying to do it the healthy way now!

good luck! xx

I had bulemia from 18 - 28, and I still have mild relapses at 35. I used to restrict a lot to lose weight then purge to maintain my weight. By the time I got pregnant with my first son I was more or less recovered. I've had 3 babies in 4 years and I'm now 4 stone overweight and I hate it, i have had no success to date losing this weight but I wonder is there part of me fighting dieting because I associate it with pure misery on some level. I want to be fit and healthy though with a nice normal relationship with food, and be a good example to my boys.

shrinkingannie said:
I had bulemia from 18 - 28, and I still have mild relapses at 35. I used to restrict a lot to lose weight then purge to maintain my weight. By the time I got pregnant with my first son I was more or less recovered. I've had 3 babies in 4 years and I'm now 4 stone overweight and I hate it, i have had no success to date losing this weight but I wonder is there part of me fighting dieting because I associate it with pure misery on some level. I want to be fit and healthy though with a nice normal relationship with food, and be a good example to my boys.

this is me all over.... i have been suffering with this for a good 4 years or so. restricting kcal intake to around 600-800kcal surving also on diet coke and cuppa soup to lose weight then binge (or just eat regular "normal meals") and purge to maintain weight. have been referred 3 times but never turn up so scared of being labelled as something its destroying my life :-( my sister died in march so i switched to binge drinking and eating and gained a stone but past two weeks gone back to restrictive eating.

just dont want this to be my life forever :-(

I know how you feel Laura, you should definitely go to the appointment it wont hurt and it could really help, labels don't mean anything at the end of the day, and no one needs to know. I have discovered one thing on this journey, if you can relax a little and eat mostly healthy foods you can eat more than you think and not gain weight. Its just finding a way of feeling ok with some food in your tummy - it takes practice, lots of practice. Good luck!!!!

Laura I agree go and get the help that's out there. That's what they are there for. If you get decent counsellors and they see that you really do want the help, it could be the best thing you ever do. Go on girl take a risk. You never know what it'll be like until you go. It might not work out but if you don't go you'll never know. Let us know how you get on.

"I wonder is there part of me fighting dieting because I associate it with pure misery on some level" - this is why I always hated slimming world, weight watchers, etc. but now i realise they're so much healthier, they don't make you as miserable as bulimia and anorexia. hope all you girlies are still fighting! <3

Agree with that Emma. It's a change in mind set that's required and I do think this time round if I have a bad day I would be able to get back on track without thinking its all gone to pot (only in my 1st week so still all bright eyed and evangelical about it we'll see if that's true when it happens!).

Hi all, I was hoping to find a thread like this somewhere here, I'm really glad I have.

I suffered mainly restrictive eating and chew-and-spit for nearly 3 years, aged 19-22, then relapsed two years ago when I slipped all to easily into obsessive exercising and restricting again. I had an amazing counselor (paid for privately) through the latter who wasn't patronising, understood and listened, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I've since recovered but piled on the weight (about 3stone) which I'm now trying to sort out with Slimming World, but had the same concerns as all of you. I find it hard to allow myself Syns, which I know could be detramental to my loss, and struggle to eat my Healthy Extras some days. I know this is due to my past EDs and obsessive dieting, and I really need to get my head straight and relax a little, but its very difficult. I'm also joining another gym again with my new boyfriend, but I'm scared the obsessive impulse to excersise will come back. I think the key is support and total honesty, and not to keep things to myself. My EDs were very private and my 'little secrets', so I think as long as I'm open about my dieting and exercising then people will be able to spot if I'm going too far.

Argh! This is so weird writing about this, but such a weight off my chest, I'm so pleased I found this topic <3

Hi, I was an exercise addict from 18-25 then injury meant I moved to horrific bingeing as some awful form of self punishment as my self esteem was so low. So low in fact I wouldn't even allow myself to purge! I've since yo yo'd dramatically (from 11 stone to 19 stone) and am currently about 15 having been on Cambridge diet. I find that the strict rules of Cambridge are good for me & give me freedom from food that I presume a normal person has. I.cannot ever do any other diet, it is too devastating to my eating & bingeing patterns. I've found out that carbs make me want to binge so I need to choose too reduce there when eating normally again.

I've had some counselling & found the Gillian Riley overeating book helpful. But my self-esteem is so low I find it hard to implement techniques I've learnt. I also had some success with emotional freedom technique (tapping). I'd recommend counselling - I learnt why I binge & it was something o had no idea about!

AnnieAnnie said:
Hi, I was an exercise addict from 18-25 then injury meant I moved to horrific bingeing as some awful form of self punishment as my self esteem was so low. So low in fact I wouldn't even allow myself to purge! I've since yo yo'd dramatically (from 11 stone to 19 stone) and am currently about 15 having been on Cambridge diet. I find that the strict rules of Cambridge are good for me & give me freedom from food that I presume a normal person has. I.cannot ever do any other diet, it is too devastating to my eating & bingeing patterns. I've found out that carbs make me want to binge so I need to choose too reduce there when eating normally again.

I've had some counselling & found the Gillian Riley overeating book helpful. But my self-esteem is so low I find it hard to implement techniques I've learnt. I also had some success with emotional freedom technique (tapping). I'd recommend counselling - I learnt why I binge & it was something o had no idea about!

Thanks, I also found cwp helpful but the last few weeks I have lost my focus perhaps because ive had too many social events.

I have been looking online and found an online course consisting of cbt and self help for 65 which i am considering but money is very tight, going to gp is not an option for me right now. I will also look up the book you recommend thanks :)

katywoo87 said:
Thanks, I also found cwp helpful but the last few weeks I have lost my focus perhaps because ive had too many social events.

I have been looking online and found an online course consisting of cbt and self help for 65 which i am considering but money is very tight, going to gp is not an option for me right now. I will also look up the book you recommend thanks :)

I didn't find cbt much help, but it may work for you. I like the Riley book as it is simple & she talks sense.
I'd really recommend eft (Google it) there is loads of free info & it worked for me. I need to get back in to doing it.

I think the key to anything working is knowing the reasons that you do what you do. Mine are feeling out of control, scared, overwhelmed. Then you can tackle each one & remove the urges. Good luck x

AnnieAnnie said:
I didn't find cbt much help, but it may work for you. I like the Riley book as it is simple & she talks sense.
I'd really recommend eft (Google it) there is loads of free info & it worked for me. I need to get back in to doing it.

I think the key to anything working is knowing the reasons that you do what you do. Mine are feeling out of control, scared, overwhelmed. Then you can tackle each one & remove the urges. Good luck x

Delete

Last edited:
Hi all. Well i went for my two assessments (an achievement for me and only taken me 2 years) and i have been offered therapy for upto 40 sessions.

He sent a letter to gp (cc me in) which confirmed his review of my assessment and he confirmed that i have common eating disorder issues. Which have ranged from typical anorexia and currently displaying bulimic tendencies.

So my first session is on the 23rd august x

Back