Fat Experiences

The worse thing that happened to me was when i was at a wedding with my BF (it was his cousins wedding) It was the first time i met his family, One member got drunk and Burst out of her maxi dress, her husband, my BF's sister and his two girl cousins were trying to zip her back into it when she cried "im so fat, im so fat" to which her hunsband replied "awk don't u worrie look at this girl shes about 25 stone and shes not crying" (as he pointed at me)... i was actually 8 stone light than what he thought.... :|

I'm really saddened by some of the comments that people have gotten due to their size, its unbelievable what some consider to be ok to say to other people.
I too have been asked if I'm pregnant, and the one that really comes to mind is when I went to my sisters to show her our holiday photos, there was one photo my hubby had taken off me sunbathing from a distance. My sisters exact words were 'why did you take a picture of the beached whale?' cue akward silence lol

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using MiniMins

People don't realise how it affects the people they insult... One harsh comment can stay with you forever...but then one comment that's nice and from someone who you think is not interested in your appearance can be so amazing... My eldest son said to me mid conversation, yeah well that's what I mean skinny like you... Bless he has no idea how much that has lifted me lately because at the time we were not talking about me but it made me smile the biggest smile internally because I have always been overweight throughout his life, not massively but never what you would call skinny.. I'm still not but obviously he has noticed my efforts over time and respects me for the lifestyle changes I have made and continue to live by... The biggest being... Portion control...that comment will stay with me for always as it's not often he has the time to notice his mum...lol..who is now in his eyes thin... :) x

People don't realise how it affects the people they insult... One harsh comment can stay with you forever...but then one comment that's nice and from someone who you think is not interested in your appearance can be so amazing... My eldest son said to me mid conversation, yeah well that's what I mean skinny like you... Bless he has no idea how much that has lifted me lately because at the time we were not talking about me but it made me smile the biggest smile internally because I have always been overweight throughout his life, not massively but never what you would call skinny.. I'm still not but obviously he has noticed my efforts over time and respects me for the lifestyle changes I have made and continue to live by... The biggest being... Portion control...that comment will stay with me for always as it's not often he has the time to notice his mum...lol..who is now in his eyes thin... :) x

That is absolutely wonderful :)

I was a fat kid growing up and I still carry the scars today, comments from adults, kids and strangers still haunt me now. I try not to let it bother me as I'm a lot slimmer as an adult, I still have a fear of walking past groups of teenagers and also going on fairground rides. People should think before they open their nasty little mouths.

Wow, I never knew people could be so cruel.
Hmm... what have I had erm, lots from my family, you look like a whale from the back, why don't you stop eating, join the gym...

When I was younger I would dream of wearing normal jeans and a top like my friends, needless to say it never happened, I always ended up wearing "fat clothes". Never ever felt confident in my entire life, I always look down or put my hand on my face when i'm talking to someone.. and when someone says to me "you're pretty" I just pretend I didnt hear or just laugh it off.. I dont know how to react cos of my low self esteem! And it's all thanks to my "family" lol

Also, friends can be quite mean too, I remember a friend introducing me to someone "we call her fatty, cause' she's fat". lol, I didnt forget that, even till today.

Wow, some friend!

I can't think of one particular thing, just a culmination of years of abuse.

Scottish, how did they get on with the headteacher?

friends can be harsh...

had a few friends over at mine, i turned round to open the curtains and they burst out laughing, saying "omg your ass is so fat, have you got an extra country in there?" to them it was funny, but to me it was devastasting. i wouldnt say i was big then either, just a healthy weight and before i made myself get too thin. it triggered a big weight loss

i have always yo yo with my weight. When i gain,which can be quite a lot in a short time i can see "friends " looking at me ,you can see what they are thinking. I once got told i was a fat old cow by a 20ish lad, the old i could cope with (i was 40) the fat was much harder. It played on my mind for days. I don't know if people relize there remarks only make you what to eat more. Its not helpful to point out fact that you are over weight

The worst thing I can remember is going on a funfair ride with a friend when we were about 14 and because of my weight my skirt got caught in the safety bar and made a hole. I had to go home and explain to my mum how I'd ruined my skirt. Not funny!
I have also had the dreaded "are you pregnant?" question too but I always say "no, just fat" and watch the other person squirm. Lol!

Fionat29 said:
I have also had the dreaded "are you pregnant?" question too but I always say "no, just fat" and watch the other person squirm. Lol!

Brilliant lol

I was out at t'pub one night... there were jokes being passed around about chubby chasers (not aimed directly at me) and one of the guys leans over and winks at me, sayin "alright hannah"... as if he was coming out as a chubby chaser...

the whole table went silent...lol

i just turned around and pretended he didnt exist

I had a comment the other day from a regular patient who hadn't been in for a while. He was like 'bloody hellgirl, you ain't half put some weight on, you look so much better when you were slimmer' I was mortified. He said it in front if a very busy pharmacy. I nearly died

A friend of my brother once said he "well would" if I was a few sizes smaller...erm charming!! One incident that sticks out for me is just after I started Slimming World, 2 weeks in and I'd lost 4lb and was feeling good about it. I went into my local with my brother for a few drinks and some prat who worked there made a comment about my weight as I was walking past to go the loo (he was overweight too funnily enough). I pulled him up about it and told him he should look at himself before commenting on other's appearences. Even though I felt pleased I stood up for myself I didn't set foot in the pub for months after. I later found out he got fired two weeks later because he was constantly making remarks about female customers (eg. too fat, too thin, flat chested, dressed too tarty etc).

Last edited:
A friend of my brother once said he "well would" if I was a few sizes smaller...erm charming!! One incident that sticks out for me is just after I started Slimming World, 2 weeks in and I'd lost 4lb and was feeling good about it. I went into my local with my brother for a few drinks and some prat who worked there made a comment about my weight as I was walking past to go the loo (he was overweight too funnily enough). I pulled him up about it and told him he should look at himself before commenting on other's appearences. Even though I felt pleased I stood up for myself I didn't set foot in the pub for months after. I later found out he got fired two weeks later because he was constantly making remarks about female customers (eg. too fat, too thin, flat chested, dressed too tarty etc).

What a horrible man! It definitely says waaay more about his own insecurity that he makes these comments.

I went on a date a while ago, it didn't go well!!

He spent about an hour talking about how much he loved history, it's not my cup of tea at all... I was polite and just said I never had much interest in history in school as I'm not much of a reader...

His response: So you hated history and clearly had no interest in PE, what did you like?

I wanted to punch him! He had asked me out and then insulted me!! :sigh:

Back