Fat Girls and Alcohol

O' cripes I would never drink whilst on LL for a few reasons.

1. I'd get the mother of all hangovers
2. It would knock me out of ketosis and make me have to through all the trials of the first few days again
3. Being tipsy would weaken my resolve not eat.
4. NOTHING is worth enough for me to compromise my diet, not even a kebab :D

I disagree with the original statement - even at my heaviest, I would rather have been out drinking than in a restaurant - I never ate and drank in the same night - waste of boozing time lol.

Now tho - I make sure I have something to eat so that I don't end up in a gutter somewhere!

I have to dissagree with that statement too.

I regularly go out to pubs for a drink and do in fact drink a lot. Perhaps drinking pints of cider doesn't help. My claim to fame though is that I can down a pint in 1, in 8 seconds.

If I go out drinking then I don't eat beforehand as it makes me bloated. So i definately don't pick the food over the alcohol.

I have to say though that as I'm now on CD I'm not having any alcohol at all and whilst out I'm finding that harder than not having the food. I am a social drinker though and don't drink every night (I'm not an alcoholic honestly)

Opinion tends to be split on this one. Alcohol weakens me and gives me a hunger that i've never had...plus it relaxes me and i tend not to give a hoot then...

However, My thread tho' eh - 2 pages!!! eh eh!

Ivy

Interesting Thread Ivy!

I was watching Oprah one day and the debate was about women drinking and they followed a group of women out for the night with cameras and even the women themselves were a bit surprised to see how much they did actually drink!

One of the women was protesting that she felt she did not really drink too much and was in full control of her drinking; that so much so she planned exactly how much she would drink before going out on her night out.

The doctor/therapist said right back at her that what does showed she had a drink problem!!!

and she continued...people who don't have a drink problem don't think or have to plan what they are going to drink as it never occurs to them to do this!!!

And I would have to agree with that statement.

Love Mini xxx

A bottal of wine is not the same without a nice meal.
When I have counted cals I would never waste them on drink.Perhaps thats why I have always been a big big girl.
But not anymore thanks to CD,no nice meal so no wine!!!!!!!
Would be nice to have a little of both though!!!!!!!
Intresting thread,enjoyed reading it.
Love Libbie x

I'm with Jo on this 1.

I'm a drinker and am finding giving up the alcohol much harder than actually giving up the food.

I've sat in fast food places through my work and the food doesn't bother me but i have found it hard to be in the pub with friends and not have a drink.

CONFESSION, I gave in on saturday and got very very drunk

Am back on the wagon though now

Squashedfroggy - alcohol is very dangerous while you're on a VLCD. Your blood sugar can get low & with you detoxed the alcohol goes straight to your head & can make you pass out or in very extreme cases die. On a lighter note the sugar can knock you out of ketosis so definitely not a good plan!

I personally tend to only drink when I'm having a meal like Sunday lunch or in a restaurant. Used to go the pub a bit but seem to prefer food these days, (Was overweight then but now I'm calorie counting alcohol seems like a waste!)
Also drink a fair bit on hol but then I eat to excess then too! That's when we do the whole Mediterranean 3 course meal with wine thing!

Love xxx

Ooops, didnt realise all that!

That Mediterranean thing sounds good to me!

Like quite a few of the girls have said I have always gone for booze b4 food... but I am trying to resist! I know its empty calories but its still liquid, technically its got water in it..

but my wrists are slapped..

and Jelly Belly.. hehehehe! naughty girl! :p

I'd rather drink and not eat. But then I'm 20, a total party girl. I can't tell you how hard it has been to give up drinking pints. I'm not on vodka and diet coke or if I want to treat myself then Jack daniels and diet coke. No beer, :)() Very little wine. No cider.

I must say if it came down to a choice between a glass of champagne or a meal the champagne would win. Trouble is, it never is a choice, so I have both!

Could be where I've been going wrong......

I have been a very heavy (in both senses) drinker up to starting this diet and have not touched a drop in over 3 weeks now which is something of a miracle. Previously I used to open a bottle of wine when I got home and drink at least half or maybe all of it followed by a couple of large whiskies before bed...........and the strange thing is I am not really missing it. I also know that if I drink then I also have to eat as it gives me the munchies and a total lack of control over what I put in my mouth so is best avoided. I went to the pub a couple of weeks ago and drank water all night and still got up and danced when the band came on.
B xx

My biggest issue is drinking loads on a night out then craving a kebab or pizza on the way home. Luckily if I drink at home there isn't really much option for me to eat unhealthily as we don't keep crap in the house any more.

Going out to the pub has helped me lose weight a bit!

Last year I didn't have much of a social life (I think I went out all of three times!) and -what a coincidence- I was at my highest weight.

This past year I've been going out a LOT (not always getting drunk, and hey- I have a high stress job!;)) I stick to vodka & diet coke. Knowing that I like going out so much keeps me motivated because I know that when I lose a couple pounds I feel better about myself when I'm out. I don't do too badly with food after the pub; I do sometimes splurge and get chips and cheese, or maybe a pot noodle (my vice!) but then I just try extra hard for the next day or two to stick to my diet, or do a bit more exercise.

god, this rings true for me! id rather meet with my friends and get a weatherspoons sharer and a burger with a drink than just a drink!!!

It is different for me. It is the hardest thing not to drink. I associate drinking with having a good time and I know that wine is a lot of the reason why I have lost weight more slowly than I could.

I am already worried about tomorrow night - thinking should I have a drink or not. I will probably go for something with tonic and just make it one night a week, instead of four or five.

i would much rather use my calories up on wine -which is a bit worrying :sigh:

Not sure where I fit on this one. I love going out to eat and if I'm eating a meal whether its at a fancy restaurant, pizza hut or the pub I won't drink. Then again if I'm going for a night out I'll either eat something before I go out (normally porridge) or whilst I'm out. I justify it because if the stomach is full of fatty foods the alcohol will take longer to pass to the intestines and be digested (3 yrs at uni has taught me something lol). It I am drinking I drink a large amount as I have a high tolerance to alcohol and a night out is usually finished with a pizza or cheesy garlic bread and chips.
That said I can go months without a drink and not miss it. I know cheesey pizza and garlic bread are my downfall and when I'm drunk I use alcohol as an excuse to eat.

Last edited:
Back