Kellmo's conso (sort of)

Those Judders/5:2 (on minimins)people aren't as nice as all you lot - and because its relatively brand new there's not as much expert opinion....yet!

There are no strangers there....only friends you haven't met yet ;-) xxx you'll work it out together xxx

A very interesting thread indeed.
If I might add one more vote for the "keeping off diets and eating more healthily generally" idea, it's that my eyes immediately went to your stats and wondered why you're on Dukan. When I first heard of this diet in France, it was for the obese and (in my mind at least) for those who'd tried and failed at everything else! I never encourage any new person with 25 BMI, say, to even start on this diet because, in my humble opinion, their food intake can't be *that* far wrong, just a few tweaks required and, once on this low carb rollercoaster, it's very hard to get off successfully.
Eating "normally" is something that some of us here haven't ever managed (I'm trying at the moment ish...) and it's hard with the old "guilt" feelings, and the encyclopaedic knowledge of each and every food stuff us serial dieters have.
To eat a normal plate of meat and veg and a potato and deal with it would be a joy.
I really do wish you luck. (As Sidd said though, is a plan where you'll eat very little for two days a week a good idea? Far better even things out over the entire week, I'd have thought.)
Please keep us informed!

Kell, I can hear the panic in your posts and understand just where you're coming from. Some very wise and experienced people have given you their advice and I'm not going to pretend I've anything of value to add. A couple of thoughts spring to mind, though...

I too am absolutely sick to death of Dukan fare and am struggling with what to do next. Whilst I like fish and don't mind meat and eggs I don't find them truly satisfying, even with salad and veg. I don't mean they don't fill me up, but they don't make me want to stop eating. And it feels mighty odd to eat can after can of tuna when what you really want is a piece of fruit, some nuts or some crackers. I'm finding myself eating more and more fruit, bread, cheese and seeds and still not being happy. There has to be a better way.

As regards your daughter, it's really important she gets what she needs nutritionally and also that she doesn't see you being screwy around food or about your weight. But you know that. She has to be able to eat bread and butter, pasta and even puddings - she's 8 and she needs the energy. I read somewhere that a large number of children from 'middle class' families are malnourished because their parents are feeding them whole foods, which are making them feel full before they have consumed the calories they need. While skimmed milk is OK for kids over 5, whole milk only contains about 5% fat and is not going to put them at high risk of a heart attack - heavily processed convenience foods will do that.

Try to calm down. Maybe take up baking with your daughter. And make nutritious food your priority rather than your weight. God knows, this is hard - if it weren't then most of us wouldn't be here on this forum now - but I believe you can do it. Good luck xx

(And I wasn't going to try to give advice!)

Kell, I can hear the panic in your posts and understand just where you're coming from. Some very wise and experienced people have given you their advice and I'm not going to pretend I've anything of value to add. A couple of thoughts spring to mind, though...

I too am absolutely sick to death of Dukan fare and am struggling with what to do next. Whilst I like fish and don't mind meat and eggs I don't find them truly satisfying, even with salad and veg. I don't mean they don't fill me up, but they don't make me want to stop eating. And it feels mighty odd to eat can after can of tuna when what you really want is a piece of fruit, some nuts or some crackers. I'm finding myself eating more and more fruit, bread, cheese and seeds and still not being happy. There has to be a better way.

As regards your daughter, it's really important she gets what she needs nutritionally and also that she doesn't see you being screwy around food or about your weight. But you know that. She has to be able to eat bread and butter, pasta and even puddings - she's 8 and she needs the energy. I read somewhere that a large number of children from 'middle class' families are malnourished because their parents are feeding them whole foods, which are making them feel full before they have consumed the calories they need. While skimmed milk is OK for kids over 5, whole milk only contains about 5% fat and is not going to put them at high risk of a heart attack - heavily processed convenience foods will do that.

Try to calm down. Maybe take up baking with your daughter. And make nutritious food your priority rather than your weight. God knows, this is hard - if it weren't then most of us wouldn't be here on this forum now - but I believe you can do it. Good luck xx

(And I wasn't going to try to give advice!)

Thank you very much for your post Sara, I think you too understand how genuinely 'sick' I am of dukan style eating, I can't stomach it any longer. I actually turned my breakfast away, never ever done that before - only when I was ill. I do think my body is telling me something and after years of not listening to my body (or refusing to listen) I finally am and it feels very scary but liberating too. I think I am beginning to appreciate the value of wholesome proper food and MEALS as part of a healthy, balanced diet.

With regard to my daughters I am very careful to keep my food issues to myself although they're not stupid and they pick up things subconsciously. I always (ok, mostly) cook from scratch proper meals for my family - I always did this on my VLCD and through dukan - I'd just adapt my meals to be dukan friendly. Makes sense about he the middle class families! I am getting her to eat as many calories as possible (healthy food mainly) but as long as she eats some of her meals she can snack on whatever she likes. The past two days she has has rosy cheeks - I have never seen this in her before (she's mixed race with olivey skin and so unusual?!) and she looks more beautiful than ever. She is off for two weeks and having plenty of restful days to help her get some much needed r&r!

Your reply has really helped me - thank you so much x x

Well done Kellmo, a healthy diet with plenty of exercise is key.

I've learnt from VLCDs that I do not need as much food as I thought...I've also learnt how essential balance is, how essential water is and how my health is essential to my family...you don't see that on the label of any packs! :) x

Be well and be happy :)

LOVING that post, Adrian! :D

P x

Gosh hun you've really been battling :( I think you've come to the right decision trying to eat good healthy wholesome foods, at least doing the VCLD & Dukan it's taught you not to go back to your unhealthy eating days.

I hope the 5:2 works out better for you x

Gosh hun you've really been battling :( I think you've come to the right decision trying to eat good healthy wholesome foods, at least doing the VCLD & Dukan it's taught you not to go back to your unhealthy eating days.

I hope the 5:2 works out better for you x

I really have JoJo. More than ever before. I keep TRYING my dukan meals/foods but I just can't stomach them - I need a break at the very least.
Yeh, the VLCD did teach me so much about what I actually NEED food wise each day and I am still taking elements of low carbs - tea was curry and veg and salad as opposed to rice but I did have some popcorn and a few mini eggs at the cinema today - (it's an 'up' day!) ... Fingers crossed this is a reasonable sensible way for me to stay at this weight for life.

I weighed myself today and yesterday as i felt as if i had put on a few lbs after my 5 crazy days!!! I felt at my weight 'limit'

I was 10 stone yesterday and 9 stone 13 this morning, this, in comparison to 9-10 months ago is some 4-4.5 stone lighter (I got to around 14.5 stone and THAT was my limit - if that makes sense?!) I've change immensely - my eating habits and my food knowledge. I'm not going back to there but I can't stay at this healthy weight with dukan, I have to give the 5:2 diet a go and when I'm at goal weight (6-7lbs to go) it'll be the 6:1 diet. It's a trial!!!

Thanks for your concern and support, as always you dukanettes are phenomenal (and much friendlier than the Judders and 5:2ers!)

Kellmo x

Kell you sound happier and more content xxx That panic has gone. I.m please for you,I didnt like to read you in such confusion xxx :D

Kell you sound happier and more content xxx That panic has gone. I.m please for you,I didnt like to read you in such confusion xxx :D

Hahh! Oh Sid, confusion is my permanent state! Im a trainee teacher - I'm nothing but confuses and stressed and panicked! If only I didn't eat when I was stressed I'd be as light as a bird!

The panic has subsided a little, I've learnt I won't get as heavy as before and I am doing something about it now, as opposed to when I'm morbidly obese. It feels reassuring to say the least. I got a new coat delivered today (as you know, it's bloody Easter and I need another winter coat!) but it's the same coat I've had before but a medium instead of an XL. It's snug on my tummy but I KNOW it won't get any tighter, it may stay snug for a while longer than I'd like but that's it, if this 5:2 isn't for me I'll mix it up or try something else until it does. Ive also ordered some jamie oliver scales so i can start making more recipes from scratch and let Freya, my eldest be involved too. Shes always wanted me to teach her how to cook and bake so i will - and we'll learn some new recipes together too. I have one more massive assignment, a book to write and evaluate and then that's more or less my first year at uni over with - June - September off to spend time with my beautiful girls, investing time in them and staying healthy and happy.

I have the tools, I have the desire and I have the motivation, now I need to give myself a chance and I'll get it right somehow!

Hope you're well xx

Kellmo

Trainee teacher? Primary or secondary? Be careful of treats in staff rooms, I stay away from them as they were my Achilles heel (we all know how comforting it is eating junk in the company of others..makes us feel safe and vindicated :) ).

Great job but be disciplined (and I don't mean marking books :) ). X

Primary. I couldn't be doing with secondary! I'm a HLTA now and I hear you about the staff rooms! I was observed by Ofsted November and just had my 6 week initial professional practice - I adored it (Y5) but I'm so glad for a 2 week break! I'm beat!

I am quite strict (shocked myself really!)

Happy Easter xxx

Back