Obesity is entertainment...

LovelyLisa2012

I know alot of members are overweight and not actually obese but just wondered if it's just me who has noticed.

TV is full of programmes like Biggest Loser, Fat Families etc. It's like a freak show to be honest, lets all watch the fatties get thin ... Or not as it seems. Yes it may inspire some but i find the lanuage used is negative and the humiliation tatics are so sad! Just a thought.

And as for supersize vs superskinny dont get me started lol x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Could not agree more. I happened to catch a biggest loser episode the other day in which there was a cupcake challenge! A whole bunch of seriously overweight people being asked to eat cupcakes in order to get a 1lb advantage at the next weigh in. That is all sorts of wrong.

Don't even get me started on the clothing they have to wear for weigh in either. I find it disgraceful & therefore do not watch.

Yeah why must they always be almost naked?

I think for a lot of the men its choice, anything to be that bit lighter, Ive seen them in the past keeping their tshirts on, so I assume the ones that remove it do so because they want to. The females outfits are horrific though.

It's like a freak show to be honest, lets all watch the fatties get thin ...

This is so true. I hold my hand up (and hang my head in shame) to finding these types of shows entertaining.

I watched Supersize vs Superskinny last night and totally admit to having a little chuckle to myself when they make the thin lady swap meals with the larger lady - particularly the look on thin girl's face when confronted with a massive plate full of four different Chinese takeaway dishes for breakfast, and the look on the big one's face when all she had was a cup of tea!! The look I know it's all completely contrived rubbish, but I can't help it!

I also think there's an element of selfishness/vanity about watching hugely obese people on TV. The kind of show that depicts some 70+ stone American who is totally bedbound due to the obesity and horrifically ill with it often seems to be shown not to evoke feelings of sympathy in the viewer, but rather to make them think, "oh God I know I've eaten a few too many Gregg's pasties in my time but at least I'm not HER!" :(

Yes it's very much a "you did this to yourself" theme.

Biggest Loser USA is unbelieveable how they manage 9/10 pounds every single week :-0

To be honest if i was half naked on tv you can bet your last penny i would be much slimmer before it aired. I would feel so embarrassed id have to be so i could say "i dont look like that now"

I agree, it is a freak show, but I have to admit to watching them all the same. It's wrong but it does make me feel better about myself. Supersize vs superskinny is one of my favourites - although a bit disappointed they did away with the "food tube" this year showing everything the people had eaten in a week. I liked to watch the overweight persons food go in and think "yummmmm, I could eat that!"

I started watching the biggest loser recently, and though I don't agree with all the things they do, I think the temptation challenges are a good idea, because its not easy being strong enough to say 'I won't eat these cupcakes because I'd rather lose that 1lb myself than jeopardise any loss for a freebie'. they did one with party food once and I found it helpful in gauging what was reasonable in that situation.

I don't like the outfits women have to wear - that goes without saying, but I don't think its massively fat shaming as a concept, in the us version jillian michaels is relentless with her training and pushing people, but she seems genuinely interested in cutting to the core of the reasons the people get so big and helping then with their mental welfare too. Can't say I've noticed that really from our version though.

I do find it inspiring, and also seeing the change in them after losing a stone etc makes me more able to see the change in me

I've got to say I agree with kingleds on the whole cupcake thing - I saw an episode with something similar and I found it very odd - why would they tempt these people with lots of cupcakes and the promise that it could give your group a 1lb loss...? That doesn't make any sense because that 1lb isn't a real loss...! I do get your point though, ThatBubbs, and I suppose if it works for them then fair enough, but I found it very strange.

I also found that the episodes I've seen of such programmes always seem to enforce the exercise side of things and don't seem to focus very much on the eating side (apart from supersize vs superskinny). The exercise regime always looks completely brutal! I always think as well, I don't really get the whole "if you haven't lost very much, you have to leave" thing... :S Surely the people that are having trouble losing need MORE help, not just to be chucked out...? And they aren't going to keep up this ridiculous exercise regime forever, it looks impossible, so surely it's more sensible to introduce a more longterm plan but I suppose that wouldn't be very interesting television.

I don't like the way Biggest Loser emphasises that exercise and diet are the way to lose weight - then at the break are sponsored by meal replacement shakes - I feel it completely flies in the face of what the programme is supposed to promote!

I watch these shows because I find them motivating and although I'm not as heavy as some of the poeple on them, I still see shocking similarities which make me hang my head in shame....

I loved watching the ( gorgeous ) Jesse Pavelka's 'Obese - one year to save my life' as I felt that he genuinely cared about the people he was helping but I do find the biggest loser shows quite patronising - especially Davina McCall!

I watch these shows because I find them motivating and although I'm not as heavy as some of the poeple on them, I still see shocking similarities which make me hang my head in shame....

I loved watching the ( gorgeous ) Jesse Pavelka's 'Obese - one year to save my life' as I felt that he genuinely cared about the people he was helping but I do find the biggest loser shows quite patronising - especially Davina McCall!

Yes I love 'A year to save my life' - it really shows the whole journey warts and all. Those people are very inspirational..and yes, Jesse Pavelka is HOTTT!

Bloke on fat families annoys me. I like ss vs ss, biggest loser uk i hate, biggest loser US i love. If these people want to put themselves on tv to lose weight thats up to them, some of the people on biggest loser US have inspired me to lose weight (ashley, michael and mikey mostly), some were ignorant idiots who were in it for the money not to get a better life and are back to how they used to be. I think the programs are trying to make people realise that people in general are becoming overweight and need to get off their asses. But if these people WANT to go on tv...i'll watch it, intrigues me to see well/bad they do

I have to admit that I too watch "Year to save my life" and ss to ss. They are interesting and I can see my similarities to my eating habits. It does make me think OMG I do that. I wish some would concentrate more on healthy eating than exercise, I am sure I remember one programme saying they would have to spend 4 hours a day in the gym. I am afraid that would be impossible for me, I work for a living and have two kids. So they weight loss is not very realistic sometimes, but hey if it inspires one person to get healthy that's something. (Yes Jesse is gorgeous and very distracting!!!!!!!:D)

These shows actually keep me motivated, i find it great to see other people in my situation who are doing what they can to shed the pounds. HOWEVER I really have an issue with biggest loser uk, they rarely spend anytime showing the contestants about the healthy eating regime, this is why im convinced they dont do as well as the US. I agree that Jillian is so good at getting to the core issues, it really feels like our trainers dont care.

I detest the soap opera of it all, concentrate on using all the tools given to you and zone in on your own weight loss and forget the stupid alliances.

Obese a year to save my life is the one i love the most Jesse clearly cares about the people he is working with. You truly see the emotional side of obesity and its not trying to compete with anyone other than the little voice in your head telling you that you cant do it

I just watced an american cookery programme about italian food. the woman used 1/2l double cream to make maccaroni cheese for 4 with. aaaand the americans wonder why they're fat lol.

Back