Question from my CDC!!!

but yet people have posted that they are only being charged 32 per week for anything so it begs the question How much profit is my CDC making from me?

I don't understand why it begs that question at all. How much your CDC makes is between her/him and Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs. If you feel that you are paying too much, find another counsellor who is cheaper. It's your prerogative. I'm sorry if this sounds snippy, but I don't understand why your CDC is any different from Tesco or Boots or your local greengrocer. They buy a product at a certain price, and they sell it on to you. You get the product you want, and in the process they make a profit, because it's their job.

Reactions: DQ
i think this tread has got a little out of hand, we are all awear that everyone has to make a living, agreed? ok well we all choose to dothis diet, through our own reasons therefore we all pay the rate asked or simply dont do the diet.

This site is ment to be for support with dieting not a war on CDCs i support what my CDC charges, she needs to make her living, and if i didnt like it i would stop. It seems to b a very negative subject money, but we have the choice to but what the CDC offers, we are not force.

This site is ment to be for support with dieting not a war on CDCs i support what my CDC charges, she needs to make her living, and if i didnt like it i would stop. It seems to b a very negative subject money, but we have the choice to BUY (sorry miss type last time!) what the CDC offers, we are not force..

I dont agree this debate has gotten out of hand, im pretty sure no one has taken offence as im sure none was intended. It makes a nice change sometimes to touch on issues that are not just to with how well someone is doing.

I'm certainly not offended - I love a good debate. I have to admit this is a subject I feel particularly strongly about, so I am a bit vocal :)

That's right - currently the RRP is £1.55 per shake, £1.75 per tetra pak and £1.80 per bar, but it's completely at the discretion of the counsellor how much he/she charges. I'm in the North West and I charge the RRP. I know some people charge more, and some charge less.

I have to admit I'm considering a flat rate for everything because it's a real pain working it out when people have a different number of bars and tetras each week.

Looks like I'm getting a bargain then because for what I take each week it would work out at £35.70 and I pay a flat rate of £33.60

i think a CD counsellor SHOULD be able to make a business of this. if i want to see a pychotherapist (and theres plenty who think i ought to) then i am expecting to pay for it. cant assume that cos im a lil coo-coo i should get the best kind of help for free. the same goes for any kind of service that is provided. if i want acupuncture (sp?) or a massage, i dont expect to have it free on the basis that i am a little tense and knotted.

i know that most CDCs arent motivated to do this job by money but i bet there would be very few of them around if there wasnt a financial benefit.

im not going to do any job for free just cos i think the people i am helping deserve it. it would be very nice to be able to do it but i have a family to feed and a house to pay for.

a good cdc earns their money...just like anyone who is good at their job which provides a service and support. i got myself fat and i dont expect someone else to help me stop doing it and not pay for their service. if i want the free support, then i'll moan to my hubby and friends lol.

if u want help for free on the NHS then your doc can certainly help but if u choose a VLCD with LL or CD (or whoever) then ya better be prepared to get ya purse out! :p

anyways, i hope that didnt come out as a rant cos im just putting in my 2 bob and totally not hoping to offend anyone :D

I think CD is a bargain! As you save so much money on food, cooking, vitamins, drinks eating out etc. Even if you are on 4 CDs a day it is still under £200 a month or £200 per stone/stone and half lost.

I think this is an absolute bargain. I think it is only expensive when you cheat and eat as well and therefore are paying for food as well and not losing the weight. Then it is expensive!! But then that's not Cambridges fault is it!

I've done it myself and I did think I'm wasting my money but while I was losing I was chuffed with the value for money. Now I am eating again I am spending more that's for sure.

Dizzy x

Totally agree with Dizzy. I think CD is cheaper than 'everyday life'. I agree with where Dizzy says there are savings to be made, but would also add diet club fees (WW etc), diet club books, magazines, sweets, etc, TIME spent cooking (i definately have more time when on CD)!! MY time is of value too!

Some interesting points! I pay £32.55 for bars, soups and shakes - haven't tried tetras cos I hate thick drinks.
I consider it to be very good value - my shopping bill has plummeted.
I get excellent service from my CDC - I can go to collect food anytime, she calls me every week and she's basically on call for advice when needed. Even if CDCs make 50% profit (and i doubt it's as much as that) that's only £16 per client and they have to pay income tax, phone bills etc etc.Before I started CD i went to a LL information session but wasn't impressed with the counselling on offer and feel that CD is much better value.
We all have to earn a living - I love teaching and helping kids but I wouldn't be able to spend my day doing it if i wasn't being paid ..........

Time for me to stick my ore in. I've read the whole debate with interest.

Firstly, I think bulk buying over complicates things and if such a thing is available then great, but it is at the sole discretion of the CDC.

I do think that the packs, bars, tetras are expensive for what they are and before anyone mentions; machinery research, wages yadda yadda yadda .... - I understand this too. HOWEVER taking all that into account it is STILL an expensive regime. The unit cost of anything goes down the more you make of something .... so I can well imagine that the cost of making, packaging etc. a soup, for instance, can't be much more than 65p I reckon, it is CD HQ that makes the real money not the CDC's.

Lastly I wholly agree with Dizzy when she says that the cost of the diet escalates if one cheats with food, I have spent hundreds on CD over the last 14 months and a fair few pounds on food too. Luckily I have my head where it needs to be and I'm not looking to spend too much on the diet after August. However I must whole-heartedly disagree with the suggestion that it is cheaper than eating conventionally. NO WAY would I consider spending just shy of £200 per month on food for myself. At most the figure is nearer £80. I am looking forward to cancelling my direct debit of £200 per month in August!
I cannot wait to be able to buy fresh produce and bulk buy staples rather than fork out for a sachet of powdered vitamins, minerals, artificial flavourings and chemicals in the name of VLCD. Don't get me wrong, I love the concept of VLCD, but the idea of consuming the contents of the sachets has never sat well with me and I see it as a means to an end.

So to conclude - there have been some really good points made however I see this the Cambridge Diet as the price you pay to lose weight and become healthy. Just think ... I nearly paid £56 (now £66?) per week for the same thing with Lighter Life ... granted the 'CBT' comes with it, but then again if I don't think I'd be any more successful with LL. I personally think the CBT aspect is just a flimsy attempt at justifying the ludicrous price tag.

Just my 2p........

C-C

i only spend less on CDC than when i was buying food cos im factoring in booze and takeaways :eek:

not only that but i would buy stuff i like and wanted to buy for myself but i'd buy more of it so that it would stretch to hubby and kids.

much to my horror..and shame :rolleyes: our shopping bills have halved. i was a binge eater and as mentioned before, spent more on boozy nights out and eating out. a take out would be for 5 of us and we did that usually once a week. a take out for 5 of us usually comes to around £23 sooo..thats a fair few days of packs.

with all that said, i also cannot wait to end the diet and start eating healthily and cheaper than before when i was buying loadsa rubbish :eek: i dont find eating from sachets too thrilling either but its the only thing that gonna work fast and i can handle the packs cos i need to.

im not budging on the fact i think CDCs (and i did say "good" cdcs before) do earn their money though.

it'd be fab if they did CD on the NHS but i think i would prefer to pay and have the support and encouragement of a CDC. I have a good GP but they r just too over stretched to do what a CDC can do.

dare i say that i cant justify paying for LL. a good Cognitive therapist will charge around £30-£40 per session. thats a one on one session dealing purely with ur issues and nowt else. minus the packs, LL charge around £33 for the session which just plays videos at you in a group. if a LLC has 7 people in a group, thats around £231 for each group session in which a DVD does most of the work.

I expect LL works a treat for some people but it definately wasnt for me. I contemplated doing CD and just getting CBT from a seperate therapist as it'd cost the same as LL but would be more one on one. i'd like to see LL get rid of the group thing and do one on one sessions and the packs

im sure LL is just the tonic for some people but i wasnt prepared to share my sessions. im far too greedy with my issues and the limelight LOL

anyways, maybe im being too critical of LL. i know some people feel they couldnt cope on CD without their LLC.

hope i dont get hate emails now :eek:

I completely agree with you anout LL Karen. :)

I did LL in 2005 when it was the old style counselling(no DVD's etc) and also the new style when it changed in January 2006 and I have to say the old style was so much better than how it is now.The counselling just wasn't there in the new sessions(same counsellor) and because of the length of the DVD's there wasn't enough time to go through things properly.This is why I restarted with CD this time instead of LL-it's less than half price for me and the counselling just isn't worth it any more.

What an interesting thread.

Naturally, CD make the products for less money than they sell them onto the CDC. In turn, the CDC buys the products for less money than they sell them on to the customer. However, isn't that the way any business works? How many people out there work for absolutely no money?

As a CDC, I sell every Cambridge pack at £1.60 per item, totalling £33.60 per week. I do this because I currently think it'd be too much of a hassle to work out individual rrps, even though the bars and tetras cost me more to buy than the sachets. Yes, this means that clients who only ever have sachets are paying 5p per product over the rrp, but those who only ever have tetras and/or bars are saving money. In reality, i'm probably making less profit than I would if I stuck to the rrps, and, as the majority of my clients have a mixture of products, then most of them are better off with my flat rate system.

Once you take into account alcohol, meals out, takeaways, and all the junk I consumed when I was bigger (and sometimes still consume now!), I truly believe that living off Cambridge was much cheaper for me than living off food. You also need to bear in mind that you're doing Cambridge for a reason - to lose weight - so that's why you're paying for it at the end of the day.

As a counsellor, I incur extra costs such as buying all the booklets for clients, making phone calls, etc, etc. It also takes up a lot of my time, as, aside from the time slots in which I see clients, my 'behind the scenes' time is vast. My family are also inconvenienced, as they all have to disappear into their respective rooms when i'm running my Cambridge sessions!
My full time job is teaching, and, although I enjoy it, I wouldn't do it for free. The same could be said for Cambridge.

Also, bear in mind that Cambridge itself is a non-profit making organisation, as it is backed by the Howard charitable foundation. I honestly don't believe that they're in this to make mega-bucks.

So, that's my two-penneth worth. :D

Jo x

Now I'm gonna have my two pennies worth as well, have read this thread with enthusiasm. This is what I reckon:

1. At the end of the day we want to lose weight, and £33 is not a high price to pay for this- it would cost you more to eat real food as others have already said.

2. I pay my CDC £33 a week for whatever combination of shakes/bars/tetras which is great. If you think you're paying someone too much then go elsewhere, I looked into 3 CDCs before I found mine.

3. I went to LL and wasn't convinced that half an hour therapy and a DVD was worth my hard-earned £33 so I left. If i do CD for 3 months instead of LL, I will save approx £1000, which I can spend on private therapy if i wish. I could also use this to help fund any necessary surgery i.e. boob lift, which would help to improve my confidence further. If you are doing it for 6 months, you could save double that- £2000.... I think CD is not bad value really!!!

Dont get me wrong LL is good too, but is it worth that amount of money?! xx

Back