Susie and Orbit's daily dribble

My kids great-gran always swore by rubbing vick on the bottom of the feet. It seemed to work but maybe because by the time we were that desperate the cold was on it's way out lol. Also Tiger Balm rubbed across the face where the sinusses are helps a lot too, just don't get any in your eye :eek:
And Bren....... I was tired! :)

You used to be able to get Tiger Balm from the pharmacy in Tesco. It's worth a try as it permeates the skin and definitely gives some short term relief. The red one is stronger but tends to make a mess of your pillowcase lol.

The trouble is that what actually causes the trouble is that the sprays cause the blood vessels inside the nose to shrink - but then the nose gets used to it and the blood vessels don't shrink anymore - and swell even more - so you're back to where you started.

I've tried Olbas and other stuff like that but the only thing that will work is to stop using the spray altogether. Think I'm going to use it night this week and then try reducing the amount on the weekend.

Just when you thought you were sick of me obsessing about houses, here's another subject I can go on about LOL :D

step away from the spray, if you dont it will never get better, you just have to wait it out!!

the stuff my doctor gives me is called nasonex, it is designed to calm down the nasal passages and even works for me when i have a cold, i get it because i have allergies and sometimes get stuffed up and sneezy, just please stay away from vick and the like, it will strip your nasal passages and it will get worse, its like acid.

Thanks hun I'll get some of that - unfortunately didn't get your message until just now, so will do my best to hold off off on the Sudafed tonight...

Sorry to whinge, folks, I don't cope well without sleep :)

Morning hun. I know exactly how u feel I've been the same since Friday and my sons unwell too so been up with us both for a week my head feels like its gonna explode! I've stopped using decongestants now and just sniffing vicks

Hope u managed to have a better sleep xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

TA DA! I did use the spray (sorry Tracy :() but I'm like a new woman - zzzzzing by 9.30pm, awake from 5-7am, then went back to bed until 9am - we're allowed flexitime for work, luckily :)

And oh my I do feel so much better!

But I know I can't keep using it, so have a plan of action - keep using it in the short term during the working week, try not to use it over the weekend and sleep when I can, and get to the doctor's to see what he can do to help - plus buy the spray that Tracy told me about - and do the one nostril at a time reduction over Christmas - I've got two whole weeks off - not had two weeks in a row since Mum died six years ago.

Hi Susie, glad you got some sleep, I could do with some myself but my own fault for not going to bed earlier.......hate how my creative head arrives about 9pm ;) xx

Thanks guys, it was a big relief - remember I got nasonex from the GP before but it didn't do anything, even though I stuck with it for a week.

An over the counter conosteroid is Beconase, so will give that a shot.

But enough about my nose! :) Off out on a girly get together tonight yaye, including a friend who is overdue with her first baby - I'll be so proud if we help induce it! :D

She doesn't like gin, but her OH has got curry for dinner tomorrow - and I've told him what else he can do *ahem* tonight when she gets home :D

when i was using the vick nasal spray and gave myself the rebound congestion, the ad always says lasts 8 hours, but they never did, the trouble with using it was that the actual time it kept me clear and open for got shorter and shorter and shorter until in the end it stopped actually working at all.

when i stopped using it i had a few days of completely shut up tight nose.. nothing got in or out and it was awful to go through, but the gp assured me that if i just waited it out a few days it would return to normal. she was right, it was absolutely terrible for those days and nights but thank goodness it cleared and since then i have never used them once.

nasonex i get on prescription, it doesn't work like vick its a soothing spray more, stops me from having the raging sneezes, when i have cuddled the cat too much or been around a dog or dust etc..

hope u have a good zzz tonight x

Hope u had a lovely evening hun! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back