Susie and Orbit's daily dribble

Happy birthday susie!!!! :)

Morning all

Bit of an effort to come into work this morning - after five glorious days off - and didn't get to sleep until after 2am.

32 degrees here today :eek:!

Lynne - I can't get the video to work, hun.

Busy - I'm thinking you mean the links to houses in Italy? Yes of course, all welcome :) I've gone off the sea view one, actually, apparently the mafia is alive and kicking in Calabria, and they particularly target foreign buyers with things like "fire insurance". So will stick to the Abruzzo - hoping to go over in November for a tour.

And thanks Goldi - it was last Thursday, and I had a lovely day :)

I've been pondering just which woe to follow once I move, so how's this for an idea? Do low carb, not madly counting and not down to induction levels, just giving up the usual suspects - bread, potatoes, pasta, etc.

Been reading the Satisfying Eats blog (hard at work here...not) and really like her two week menu - http://satisfyingeats.wordpress.com/meal-planning/ - but it will be higher carbs than induction.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Menu looks lush Susie. It's kind of what Sandra and I are doing lowish carb. I'm trying to keep my calories and fat lowish too and staying away from salami, chorizo and generally processed preservative filled foods for now because of the sodium. I think the high fat is what makes me feel a bit off too so keeping it lower than a proper low carb, and higher than a regular low calorie if that makes sense.

I'm having a hard time getting my calories up though and they're way too low, however saying that, I'm not hungry and feel really good?? I know if you eat too little you'll stall.

I read from a couple of sources that to lose weight sensibly (heavy sigh) you calculate 10 calories per pound at the weight you want to be so a 150 lb person would need 1500 to maintain and if you want to be 130 lbs would eat the maintenance calories for someone at 130 lbs or 1300 cal a day and wait. Hmm sounds good but don't know if it work but many claim it does? May give it a go after my holiday. Has anyone else heard or used this theory?

No I haven't heard that, interesting idea though.

That's the challenge though, isn't it - stay low carb (ish) AND keep the cals down too :eek: - not sure it's possible tbh.

I do know one thing - eating carbs does make me hungrier - some days (like today) I could just inhale food. But low carb can get expensive, sigh...

Last edited:
Hi, that blog looks great, I have now downloaded her cookbook to my kindle, some lovely receipes.
Have you ever looked at the south beach diet, it is low carb, with moderate fat and protein, it is quite like atkins but you get to eat more variety of veg and fruit, but you keep fats lowish, I think you are also allowed milk.....

Hi suse,

hope your well, it certainly is a jungle out there......trying to find what is right for you.

I think the most sensible approach is to look back and see what eating plan have fitted you well in the past. Not very helpful I know, but I often stick to Atkins as I'm too lazy to retrain what I know, lol.

Morning susie,

Anything low carb seems to work long time better for most. It all depends on how much you have to lose and how long to lose it in? Then take it from there which ever route is comfortable because it should be for life. That's how I view it ;)

hope you are well?

Collecting dust lol :D Last night I read a high protein diet kindle book I'd downloaded recently and that sounds similar to South Beach. It had a yummy sounding recipe for Courgette Chips - will post tonight.

You're all completely right, the best approach is going to be whatever is most sustainable - as I have a HUGE amount to lose, which could take years, I think I need something that includes most foods, not excludes them, so need to look for a slightly higher carb level. I don't miss potatoes at all, prefer cauli now, but bread is still my Achilles heel - anyone got a good low carb bread recipe for the bread maker?

Am absolutely cream crackered this morning - like most people, I guess - awoke with the storm crashing directly overhead at 1.30am then tossed and turned until 6am, when I got up. Am on my second coffee now...

Last edited:
Ooh susie, those courgette chips sound lovely, will give them a go :) yum.

we haven't had thunder here yet, so jealous as I love the stuff!

Morning all

Had a pretty unpleasant hot and stuffy evening - the fan broke (arrrgghhh) and I can't open windows because of the cat. Am well and truly over this humidity!

Didn't get around to making the chips - will try this weekend because they do sound lush :)

Afternoon, please do try the chips at the weekend and report back, they sound lovely.

Back