Take The Blue Pill - The Story Begins

Chinese_lover2

So, this marks out my journey with Xenical. I feel I need a place to write a food, exercise and generally anything else diary. Therefore, here I go:

Max Calorie Limit: 1720 kcal
Max Fat Limit: 45 g

Wednesday 14th July 2010

Breakfast
Mullerlight Strawberry Cheesecake Yogurt
Tesco Value White Choc and Strawberry Cereal Bar
Snack
Tesco Light Choices Apple and Raisin Slices (1 pack)
Lunch
Tesco Light Choices Sweet Chilli Noodles
Tea
Homemade Stir fry - Turkey, Rice Noodles, Beansprouts, Tesco Value Stir Fry Veg and Roasted Peanut Sauce.
Snack
10 Cherries

Exercise
LTT - PowerHouse Workout (Morning)
Cycling - Moderate Effort - 15 mins (Afternoon)
30 Min. Walk - Slow (Evening)

Review
I think today went well. I was so tempted by having a sneaky vodka and coke in the pub and when we went to the kebab place afterwards I felt like I was melting, my stomach growling so much, serves me right for having such an early tea. Good day. I've had no side effects or indication that the tablets have began working, but I can't expect a miracle, considering this is only my second day on them.
Rating = :angel09:

Third day on Xenical:

Thursday 15th July 2010

Breakfast
Oats So Simple - Golden Syrup Flavour (made with Skimmed Milk)
Lunch
WeightWatchers Tomato and Basil Soup
2 Slices of Irish Brown Soda Bread (thin scraping of Flora Light on each slice)
Snack
6 Fresh Olives (stuffed with fresh raw garlic)
Tea
Crumbly Chicken, Parma Ham and Veg Bake (Bitesize chicken and parma pieces (grilled), creme fraiche (healthy living), asparagus, carrots, mange tout, green beans, spinach, baby corn and breadcrumbs) Served with new potatoes coated lightly in Flora Light and a tablespoon full of Mint Jelly.
Snack/Dessert
Fruit Salad (Grapes, Cherries and Strawberries)

Exercise
30 minute Walk - Slow Pace (Afternoon)
LTT - Advanced Workout (Evening)

Review
I think I definitely overdid my tea tonight, it was a new recipe which turned out amazing. I've just had my stomach grumbling most of the day so when it came to my last (yummy) meal I scoffed down 2 helping, and then was snacking on the new potatoes. I don't think I've done that bad today, I know I can definitely be worse, but I still feel a little guilty for having seconds and then snacking on leftover potatoes. Hope the exercise will make up for it. I suppose if I'm still grumbling tomorrow I'll add a snack in after breakfast to stop me from feeling quite so hungry during the evening.
Rating = :ashamed0005:

Friday 16th July 2010

Breakfast
New York Cheesecake MullerLight Yogurt
White Choc Chip Cereal Bar
Snack
Slimfast Sour Cream and Chives Pretzels
Lunch
Jacket Potato (brushed with a light layer of vegetable oil, mashed slightly with light spread, sprinkled with a small handful of half fat cheese, a teaspoon of light choices coleslaw and a small tin of light choices baked beans)
Snack
6 Olives (stuffed with raw garlic)
No Added Sugar Orange Jelly
Tea
Light Choices Tomato and Cheese Pasta Bake
Dressing of Burger Sauce
Half a mug of 10 Calorie Tomato Soup
Dessert
2 Strawberries
12 Grapes

Exercise
30 Min. Walk - Slow Pace
(Work - general)

Review
Well, it wasn't a particularly bad day for eating. I thought I'd be okay with the cheese in my jacket potato as it was reduced fat but apparently not. I don't even want to go too far into that, but I now have an idea of the side effects. Not amazing with the exercise but I did do 7 hours of work, even if it's not strenuous I am up and moving around.
Rating = :eek:

Hello...and welcome :)
I was just reading through your lunch for yesterday, and I must admit, I did think :eek:
Without knowing exactly what you ate, I would hazard a guess that not just the cheese, but the vegetable oil, light spread, and coleslaw were all out of the Xenical guidelines.
If you have a look at the packaging, each item should contain no more than 5g of fat per 100g of food, and you should have no more than 15g of fat in each meal.
I know it's easy with things like oil and low-fat spread to think it'll be OK if you're only having a little bit, but it's not just the amount of fat you're eating, it's about the concentration of fat in each item too (that's why it's important to look at the per 100g total).

To be honest, I'm no angel, and I do occasionally have low-fat coleslaw, or the odd scraping of low fat spread, but it's about working out what you can get away with, and not having it all in the same meal!

I hope that doesn't come accross as critical, I just wouldn't want you experiencing any more nasty side effects!
By the way, have you tried Fry Light as an alternative to oil? I don't use oil at all for cooking now I've got used to using that. It's great to spray onto wedges before you bake them :)

Good luck with your weight-loss journey!
A xx

Hey there Alex,
In retrospect it wasn't the best idea, I guess... I was cooking round someone else's house and I used what I could (greedy, hehe). All new to me, trial and error. Thanks for taking an interest, it's good to hear feedback. Trying to find a new way of eating that I can live with for the rest of my life, and crunchy jacket potato skin is a must.
I actually just topped up my supply of spray oil today... and bought some Quark. Yippee.
Good luck with your journey too.

Today, technically I wasn't even on xenical because :copon:I forgot to take my tablets... I only remembered after I was on my way to work, totally forgot them at breakfast. Silly me.

Saturday 17th July 2010

Breakfast
New York Style Cheesecake Yogurt
Lunch
Light Choices Creamy Mushroom Pasta
Snack
8 Grapes
1 Packet of Light Choices Potato Thins
Tea
Bachelors Beanfeast Bolognese with organic wholewheat spaghetti (I added chopped tomatoes to the bolognese and peas and sweetcorn to the spaghetti)

Exercise
45 Min. Walk - Moderate Pace (Afternoon)
(Work - general)

Review
Well, except for totally missing the tablets, it wasn't bad. I felt a bit guilty and slightly apprehensive over my side effects so I was extra good. I wasn't really that hungry until 9pm when I had the potato thins because I was waiting for my partner to get home to have the bolognese with. Everything went well.
Rating = :)

Sunday 18th July 2010

Breakfast
New York Style Cheesecake Mullerlight Yogurt (seems to be a pattern going on - really enjoying these at the moment)
Lunch
2 Light Choices Prawn Mayo Prepacked Sandwiches
Tea
Harvester :)() Salad Bar - had lots of lettuce, sweetcorn, carrots, but did also have some potato salad from there, the honey and mustard dressing, low fat mayo and a dashing of 1000 island dressing. While everone else had dessert, I had a dry brown roll from the salad bar. No alcohol, stuck to Pepsi Max.
Dessert
WW caramel shortbread... millionaires shortbread stuff.

Exercise
30 Min. Walk - Slow (Morning)
30 Min. playing in the park after going to Harvester, found this park which has like a little gym in it, with steppers and ab twisters and some weight type exercises. Really enjoyed it.

Review
Well, it could have been worse. At least I remembered my tablets today. I feel I over-indulged, with 2 seperate sandwiches for lunch and going out to eat for tea, then an added dessert. I know it's not going to be wonderful tomorrow either, I'm planning on going to see Toy Story 3 after I finish nursery with a couple of friends, so I'm planning on buying some grapes and sneaking them in to snack on. Then it'll be late by the time we're out so have to find something to eat before getting home. Thinking along the lines of a subway salad. Another salad, I really couldn't refuse the offer when my mum suggested she treat us. Love her to bits.
Rating = :angeldevil:

Monday 19th July 2010

Breakfast
Slimfast Vanilla Milkshake
Lunch
2 Brown Rolls, 2 Quorn Chicken Style Burgers, handful of lettuce, a light spread of extra light mayonaisse and a dollop of sweet onion relish.
Snack
15 grapes
Handful of Pic 'n' mix... couple of mini eggs, a snake, fizzy bubblegum bottles and 2 apple cords. Yummy but so bad.
Tea
Plain Chicken Breast Subway Salad; lettuce, black olive slices, gherkins, carrots, sweetcorn and peppers with a sweet chilli dressing.

Exercise
45 Min. Walk - Slow (Afternoon/Evening)

Review
Today was a definite treat for me, went to the cinema, spent a fortune and a great deal of time as well, the train was delayed for an hour and then we had to change platforms twice before getting back home. Toy Story 3 was emotional, at least it was to me, worth watching definitely.
I can't say I'm doing great on the exercise front at the moment. I was doing it every morning but my room is being redecorated so the tele has had to come down and therefore I can't follow the exercise DVD. Hmm. Food will be better tomorrow.
Rating = :whistle:

Tuesday 20th July 2010

Breakfast
2 Tesco Value White Choc and Strawberry Cereal Bars
Lunch
Light Choices Chicken Pasta Bake (squirt of BBQ sauce)
Tea
1 Youngs Basa Fillet (light salt and pepper batter) with homemade chips (boiled then baked with a coating of fry light). Half a small can of Harry Ramsden's Mushy Peas.

Exercise
(Childcare - general)

Review
No exercise! Well, I put down being in the nursery because of all the bending, sitting and standing, constant movement. I should have done that for yesterday too. I seem to be getting later and later to bed, I know that isn't a good thing for my weight loss. Early night hopefully tomorrow... and some form of exercise. Would be lovely to go swimming, as our boiler has suddenly packed in and there's no hot water it's a good place to get all cleaned up too. :p
Rating = :snooty:

Wednesday 21st July 2010

Weigh In: 17 stone 0 lb

Breakfast
Ski Smooth Strawberry Yogurt
Snack/Lunch
Jelly Beans (Broke up from college for the summer holidays - teacher's treat to us)
Philadelphia Light with Ritz Crackers
10 Strawberries
Tea
Strudel - Quark Cheese, Sundried Tomato Paste, 3 Filo Pastry Sheets, Fry Light (didn't like this very much, only ate half of my portion) served with a hadful size portion of wholewheat pasta covered with Tesco Value Pasta Sauce and a spoonful of philadelphia light with garlic and herbs.
Snack
Half a large portion of Morrisons Salad
1 Quarter of a Meat Feast Pizza

Exercise
A few minutes on the treadmill (walking - running)
20 Min. Walk (moderate)

Review
I was so so hungry. Didn't help that I didn't like my tea. Bad day for food and exercise!
Rating = :sigh:

Thursday 22nd July 2010

Breakfast
Ski Smooth Raspberry Yogurt
Snack
Muller Corner Snacksize - Strawberry
Lunch
WW Tomato and Basil Soup (can)
3 Small Slices of Irish Brown Soda Bread with a thin spread of light sunflower spread
Snack
Banana
Tea
Spaghetti and Meatballs - Organic Wholewheat Spaghetti (I'd say about 130g cooked weight) boiled with frozen peas, spinach and sweetcorn... 4 beef meetballs, 6 chicken, cooked seperately and covered with paper towel before putting them in with the sauce to take away as much fat as I could. Tesco Value Pasta Sauce.
Dessert
Quite a few grapes
WW Caramel Shortbread
Light Choices Lemon Drizzle Cake Bar

Exercise
Walked about 1 mile (25 mins) - Moderate Effort (Afternoon)
15 Mins on Treadmill - walk/run (Evening)

Review
It was another one of those days where I felt like snacking constantly. Not good. Even now, my stomach is rumbling. I've been trying to drink more, thinking it's just thirst, but it seems to make the gurgling worse. I did exercise today, so that's a start, I should really wear shoes on the treadmill. I was planning for tomorrow to do a quick 10 minute workout in the morning, to get my metabolism going. Another thing I need to keep remembering are the xenical... a couple of times now over the past week I've remembered it like 2 hours after the meal, or forgot the whole day... or breakfast. Not good. I can't say today for food was particularly bad or good. I started off with good intentions, and the hunger just kept getting worse. Hmm. See how I am tomorrow, will have work, keep my mind off it.
Rating = :confused:

Last edited:
Have you thought about maybe eating something a little 'bigger' for breakfast hun? It looks like you have just a yogurt most mornings and that's not usually enough. I have either cereal and a yogurt/fruit, or some toast and a banana.

Try filling yourself up with and bulking out your meals with veg and fruit. That way you might not feel so hungry.

Hope you're ok.
x

Thanks Blue Butterfly for the input, the only problem is that in the mornings I'm just not that bothered about eating or I'm just plain in a rush. I make sure I eat something, at least, but a yogurt is usually the best thing for me because it's quick and easy. That or a slimfast. I did have muesli today though, simply because I had the morning completely free. I wasn't as hungry but I think part of it is that I had my mind on other things as well.

Friday 23rd July 2010

Breakfast
Tesco Wholewheat Muesli (with UHT skimmed milk)
Snack
2 small handfuls of BBQ coated peanuts
Lunch
2 Slices of Nimble Wholemeal Bread
1 Small Can of Light Choices Baked Beans
1 Tablespoon of Scrambled Egg (an egg and UHT skimmed milk)
Snack
Slimfast Pretzels
Tea
Quorn Cottage Pie
2 Tablespoons of Mint Jelly
Dessert
No added Sugar Strawberry Jelly Pot

Exercise
30 Min. Walk (moderate effort)
(Work - general)

Review
So, I don't think today was bad for food. To be perfectly honest, I didn't have much time to think of it. It took most the morning to defrizz my hair (Note to self: NEVER go to bed with wet/damp hair - not worth the hassle) and the evening was filled with work and keeping busy with that. Another day of work tomorrow, late tea. Will control my snacking... maybe use the treadmill, or the wii as I haven't used it in a while.
Rating = :)

Saturday 24th July 2010

Breakfast
Wholewheat Muesli with UHT Skimmed Milk
Lunch
Light Choices Creamy Mushroom Pasta
Couple Dollops of Mango Chutney
Snack
No Added Sugar Raspberry Jelly Pot
Light Choices Potato Thins Packet
A Few Chips from Takeaway (family had food out)
Tea
Turkey and Quorn Tikka Masala - diced turkey pieces cooked in Frylight and frozen Quorn covered in Asda's Good For You Tikka Masala sauce, served with a small portion of wholegrain rice with peas and sweetcorn mixed in, mini poppadoms (with mango chutney) and half a peshwari naan.
Snack
Light Choices Raspberry Fruit Bites

Exercise
15 Mins on the Treadmill
45 Mins Walking - Moderate Effort
(Work - general)

Review
Another late tea so snacked quite a bit inbetween. Did quite a bit of exercise. Not a lot to say, really... was a bit of a 'meh' day.
Rating = :sigh2:

Sunday 25th July 2010

Breakfast
Wholewheat Muesli with Semi-Skimmed Milk
Lunch
WW Chicken Fajita Wrap
Snack
Can of Fizzy Vimto
Tea
Vegetarian Hotdog Pasta Bake - Wholewheat Penne Pasta, Chunky Vegetable Pasta Sauce, Vegetarian Hotdogs, Breadcrumbs (from grating wholegrain baguette) and grated reduced fat cheese.
Snack
WW Strawberry Mousse
Handful of BBQ flavoured Pringles
Couple of chunks of Melon

Exercise
2 Hours of light walking
1 Hour of Housework (sanding)

Review
I was feeling so sick this morning after shopping, I forced some breakfast and lunch down and decided to have the vimto to give me some sort of energy and after that I felt better. Was very light headed. Food wasn't amazing today, felt like I could have done more exercise too, hopefully fell all recovered tomorrow.
Rating = :yuk:

Monday 26th July 2010

Breakfast
Lunch
Asda Good For You Macaroni Cheese (with a serving of mango chutney)
Tea
Sweet and Sour Pork - Pork pieces (couldn't eat a lot of it, was rather fatty), Asda Good For You Sweet and Sour Sauce, Tesco Value Stir Fry Veg served with Wholegrain Rice.
Snack - Movie Night
Lots of Popcorn - Airpopped, covered with a sprinkling of sweetner
Midnight Snack
Half a Sausage

Exercise
30 Mins. Walking - Moderate Effort
Played in the park with kids - 30 Mins.

Review
Thought I'd buy some popcorn kernels this week, never tried to make popcorn by myself. Only burnt one lot (tried to do it on the hob with a saucepan that didn't have a fitted lid). Tasted good, and they did so much as well, shared them with my boyfriend's family, his 4 year old sister loved watching them pop. I think the sausage was just that they were laying out from my mum's tea and I was bored, just wanted to know if they were nice. Evidentally, they were. I'm not exactly unhappy with what I ate today, I made so much sweet and sour that I only ended up eating half of what was on my plate. The exercise was literally focussed on entertaining said 4 year old and her older cousin, what a workout.
Rating = :p

Tuesday 27th July 2010

Breakfast
Left Over Sausage (from night before)
Lunch
Cheese on Toast - Nimble Bread (4 slices), topped with a layer of mango chutney and sprinkled with reduced fat mature cheddar.
Tea
Coconut and Sweet Chilli Prawns served with salad - defrosted the 'king prawn like moulded fish protein', marinated half in a bowl of coconut milk and coriander, then dusted lightly with flour, coated with egg and rolled in some dessicated coconut. For the sweet chilli prawns I coated them before and during cooking, Placing them on pre-soaked skewers divided by chunks of pepper. The salad included iceburg lettuce, celery, finely chopped pepper, onion crispies, small chicken chunks and (homemade) thousand island dressing.
Dessert/Snack
WW Strawberry and Vanilla Mousse
Chinese Takeaway Pancake Roll
Daim Bar Cookie
Popcorn coated lightly in sweetner

Exercise
30 Mins. Leisurely Swimming

Review
I did the whole snacking thing again, I should really address the issue of late night snacking, some of it was genuine hunger as I wasn't too keen on the fake prawns I had for tea. After I started it seemed so easy to carry on with the cookie and popcorn. I need to start eating more during the morning, I think that gives me more of an awareness of what I'm putting in my mouth later on at night. Felt so guilty after that, couldn't get to sleep until 4 in the morning.
Rating = :(

Last edited:
Wednesday 28th July 2010

Breakfast
Medium Bowl of Honey Cheerios with Skimmed Milk
Lunch
Asda Good For You Sweet and Sour Chicken with Egg Fried Rice
Snack
2 Rice Krispie Cakes - Light Sunflower Spread, Sugar, Toffee Flavoured Syrup, Rice Krispies.
Tea
Roast Lamb - Lamb Breast, Mashed Potato (mashed with a little light sunflower spread), Baby Carrots, 3 Aunt Bessie Stuffing Balls, 3 Aunt Bessie Roast Potatoes, 2 Yorkshire Puddings, Bisto Gravy, Mint Jelly.
Snack
1/4 of a Betty Crocker Choc Chip Cookie

Exercise
15 mins. Treadmill (Walk/Jogging)

Review
My tea was very fattening, it was also delish. I also couldn't resist the sweet treats today. I feel my motivation slipping just a bit, I had to force myself on the treadmill and literally had to grip the sofa to stop me lunging at my brother who was waving prawn cocktail pringles at me (faves). I think the snacking was kept at a minimum because of constantly reminding myself that I could do it, and that I knew it wasn't physical hunger as I didn't fancy having the strawberries in the fridge at all, or the cherries... or even the grapes, though they looked dodgy. I know tomorrow will be a diet disaster, I'm travelling all day... got lunch sorted, making sandwiches in advance, but tea is going to have to be something fast and convenient. Will try and think as healthy as I can.
Rating = :eatdrink023:

Thursday 29th July 2010

Breakfast
Slimfast Strawberry Milkshake
Lunch
2 Brown Tuna Rolls, Sweet Chilli Splendip, 5 Custard Creams
Snack
2 Slices of Chocolate and Coconut Cake, Tea and Biscuits
Tea
Rodeo Burger from Beefeater - Burger with Onion Rings in, served with Chips.
Dessert
Treacle Sponge Pudding with Custard

Exercise
A Little Walking - Seemed like was in the car most of the day, so not much opportunity.

Review
Day Trip to see my family up in Cambridge. I couldn't turn down my nan's cakes and biscuits and as for the meal out, it was part of a meal deal and the burger seemed a lighter option then some of the other ones. The dessert was a treat :eek: Well, definitely back to it, I'm hoping it may have a positive effect, boost my metabolism, confuse my body a bit. I have work today, so a bit more exercise. Don't get back till 11pm on Fridays so don't feel up to exercising further than that. (Weighed in (30/7/10): 17 stone 2lbs - ARGHHHHHHHH! Hoping that's just a fluke from yesterday, not all the damage from the meal and cakes and biscuits)
Rating = :character00117:

Friday 30th July 2010

Breakfast
Bowl of Wholewheat Muesli with Skimmed Milk
Lunch
1 Cauliflower Cheese Grill in a Brown Roll with lettuce & 2 Vegetable Fingers in a Brown Roll with Lettuce
Snack
Light Choices Raisin and Apple Slices
Tea
Half a Mug of Ten Calorie Tomato Soup & Light Choices Chicken and Broccoli Pie with Mint Jelly
Snack
Nachos, Half a Keema Naan with Biryani Sauce, Chewits Ice Cream Flavour and a few Prawn Cocktail Pringles

Exercise
30 Min Walk
(Work)

Review
Baaaaaaaaaaaad bad snacking... I was knackered after work and my family had ordered Indian Takeaway, so the whole house smelt lovely... I scraped the leftover naan and sauce and then just couldn't stop myself eating more. I really need to deal with my late night snacking habits when everyone else is eating and I'm tired. It would have been better if I could just go straight up to bed, which is what I wanted to do but my room is still being redecorated which means the sofa is my bed and they were still in the living room when I got back at 11, so I couldn't go straight to sleep... they ate in the living room, which is why the smell was so strong in there. I don't mean to make so many excuses, I should have felt empowered by saying no, but so many things got in the way. My grandmother gave us 5 carrier bags full of sweets yesterday... we managed to get rid of the majority of the 4 bags (giving it away to friends)... still have 1 left. Should just throw it. Ugh.
Rating = :break_diet:

Back