Tipperary wobbles into 2024

Thanks all. The volunteers are Wwoofers, so WorldWide Opportunities on Organic Farms. We have an organic garden and polytunnel and normally grow all our veg and sell the excess at the gate at an honesty stall. But done nothing at all this year, haven't even sown any seeds. But these had been booked ages ago and still want to come and stay. Daughter one will look after them for meals and husband will sort out work for them. Its a great volunteer programme, they give you 25 hours labour a week and you give them food and board... No money changes hands at all.

Just got off the phone with the Revenue Commissioners, I start with them at the end of June for a 12 month contract.

Ah wow Tippy.. Fantastic news and I'm so happy for you 💐 Biggest happiest hugs X

WOOHOOOO that's fab news Tippy!

So pleased for you hun, that's great - no more horrible shifts (do you know, I typed that last word without the letter f in it, oops, lol, but appropriate too haha)!

😂Think you typed it right in the first place Suzie!😸

So am going to.try to have a week off between jobs and give 2 weeks notice to airport and I've lots of time to.do that. Its not the nicest job in the world but the money is good and its local. However I put lots of weight on last year doing it as its 8 hours sitting down so I need to make sure I definitely get planned exercise every day and bring healthy lunches with me.
Home at midnight last night and had a breakfast burrito then and watched Pitch Perfect. Well watched the end of 1 on the TV and fell asleep watching a download of 3.And I had a fruit bun with butter, this midnight snacking is terrible. Its not a mealtime but after work I am hungry. Next week I have three 9 to 5s so a little bit of normality.

Ryan Air tip of the day (I work for other airlines but Ryanair is the one people have most problems with).
They changed their bag policy in January 2018.
You can take free a small personal item (laptop/handbag/camera case) and a 10kg small case. The case will probably not be weighed but must fit into the specified dimensions (so a huge empty case doesn't qualify). You will take both of these items to the gate but they may then be put into the hold and not go onto the aircraft with you.
Passengers that buy priority boarding will board first and keep both these pieces of luggage
Passengers without priority boarding will keep only the personal item and have the second bag tagged and taken at the foot of the plane. Even if the second bag is small it will be taken as you can only take one bag. Even if you only have one bag but it is larger than a handbag it will be taken as it is too big to fit under the seat.
Simply put Priority passengers get to use the overhead luggage compartments, non priority don't.
Lithium ion batteries cannot go into the hold, this means e cigarettes, laptops, cameras, ipads etc...these have to go onto the plane with you. If your bag has been tagged to be taken you will have to take these items out and carry them on board.
Now many people give out about Ryanair charging mad prices for things, me too, but priority boarding is the best value charge they have. In Ireland it costs €6 so possibly £5 in UK.
My advice, if your flight has been delayed or is the last of the night or you are going to a very busy airport then your bag could take forever to get to you so buy priority boarding. You don't have to buy it with your ticket, you can actually buy it at the airport at the ticket desk.

Not meant as a lecture but travel advice I am now glad I know. Trying to take oversize bags on board causes huge delays and it may seem like only a two minute delay but that can lead to a very long delay at the other end or getting into the air.

Passengers with infants do get to take an extra baby bag with them.
Passengers with special medical equipment do get to take it with them but must fill out a declaration form first.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask while I am still their.

Very useful info, thanks Tipp! I've booked a suitcase to/from Italy, and only have one smallish handbag to carry on, so haven't worried about priority booking this time - but I do love getting on the plane early :). Have booked seats up the front though, so should be on/off fairly quickly.

Last edited:
Yep all seats are now allocated so no mad dash to get one.

So weighing up health pros and cons of jobs.
Working really early means I only eat two meals, will get to go for a short outdoor walk.but have no family time or life really.
Working late means 4 meals, no exercise, lots of family time and great sleep.
New job will mean regular sleep, 3 meals plus probably two snacks but sitting all day so will have to make sure I build exercise in to each day just to stay the same.

Almost 9 am and thinking of getting up.but still exhausted, my feet very sore and swollen and back sore today too. One person who started work with me has left already. I was waiting to give just two weeks notice and have a week off between jobs but I think now I might take two weeks off...will chat with husband today about it. The late nights mean I'm eating too much as I'm hungry at midnight when I get home, last night I even stopped at Burger King. So an extra week means I can concentrate on getting back some cycling fitness and give my back and feet a rest. I can actually cycle to the new job if I want some days so that seems like a way to fit exercise in. And because it is flexi time I won't be worried about a five minute delay getting there. I don't think leaving a week early will make a huge difference to the airport and at times I even feel.bad knowing I am going and not having told anyone yet. I will check the calendar and think about it. But knowing I am.going to be tied to a desk for the next 12 months anyway means I know I need a break first.

You tell them when you're ready and not before, sweetie!

I think two weeks' holiday sounds perfect, although knowing you, it won't be a holiday, you'll be rushing round after everyone else! :classic_roll_eyes:

And having a desk job will mean you can fit your normal plan around it, just think of the freedom - time to do exercise, eat when you want and eat the type of food you want too - all sounds pretty good to me.

Just got off the phone with the Revenue Commissioners, I start with them at the end of June for a 12 month contract.

Only catching up tipp... yay that's fantastic news!!! Congratulations from a fellow civil servant (but not revenue, great dept to be in!)...

Flexi time... you wont know yourself!!

Morning all.Just been having a busy week working 8 days in a row and we had no internet at home. Off today and just as well as I had no clean clothes left for work andy feet and legs killing me and really need a rest.
Food all over the place and no exercise done at all. Got paid yesterday and did a big shop in Iceland and filled up the freezer with convenient food. It just mkes it easier with the two French girls to leave out a lasagne for them and tell them to cook it for their own lunch.
I have a sore throat and head cold and no voice. My voice was going but I thought it was just too much late night shouting at passengers out on the ramp trying to board the planes. Its not that I am shouting at them but have to shout to be heard over the noise. But its turned into a heavy cold full of nasty green snot. I've drunk over a litre of water overnight trying to keep hydrated.
In tomorrow, off Sunday and then its 9-5 for 5 days and the weekend off. I'm hoping to be more controlled next week with meals but to be honest am not going to worry too much until this job finishes. I am eating to much and eating crap but all the running around is balancing it out.
Girls almost have all the garden and tunnel weeded and today I'm hoping to buy seeds and get planting lots of quick growing salads. I might get some tomato and courgette plans and definitely some pea seeds, home grown peas are amazing.

Working hard...no, but working slow and steady and getting through it. If I was here with them I would get annoyed but as they ate working on their own I don't mind really.

Snot.....just full of it. Voice totally gone. Working today 4pm to 10pm so might have to learn sign language.

How long is it now before your having two weeks off before starting new job?

3 weeks, 9-5 all next week, off for the weekend and then will give two weeks notice. That's our pay schedule and also roster done two weeks in advance. I don't feel as bad during the day but at night its bad and coughing and blowing the whole time.

Back