.......to see ourselves as others see us.....

Freedom Pass

I was once told that many fat people did not/could not put their arms down straight by their sides - but held them ape-like bent at the elbows.

Took some pics of me in a swimsuit for my record (time delay on camera is great). Horror of horrors - my arms are ape-like.

No-one wants to see a 61 year old in her swimsuit, but it's true.

Now I need to swim for exercise, but I wish I could have the pool to myself!:mad:

I was once told that many fat people did not/could not put their arms down straight by their sides - but held them ape-like bent at the elbows.

Took some pics of me in a swimsuit for my record (time delay on camera is great). Horror of horrors - my arms are ape-like.

No-one wants to see a 61 year old in her swimsuit, but it's true.

Now I need to swim for exercise, but I wish I could have the pool to myself!:mad:

Years ago I went to the USA for my holiday. I was worried that I looked overweight and fretted about that more and more as our departure date got nearer. However, when I got there I was amazed at how many larger people I saw living and working there. I didn't notice the arms so much but did observe that they couldn't walk with their legs straight; but with them apart. No offense meant, let me stress. For my concern at that time was for the wear and tear on their hip joints that were out of line.

soapy x

Yes, I noticed this with my sister-in-law, she has lost 5 stone and her feet now point frontwards when she walks, there were outwards.

Used to be in the States quite a bit - looked positively thin there, especially when we went on an American Cruise.............

I know what you mean. I'd gone there thinking everyone would look like the people on the American TV shows, slim and beautiful. How naive was I then? lol. Older and wiser now.
I started the Slimming World eating plan in March this year. Weighed in at 12st exactly. My goal is 10st 2lbs. I am now at 10st 9lbs. So doing OK slowly. And I'm enjoying not feeling hungry as I go. In fact, I'm eating more now than I did before.
In my life my top weight was 14st. That was when I was raising a family. And my lowest weight was 8st 7lbs, when I was in Show Business. Feeling so much more healthier now. Just a few more pounds to go.

soapy x

How do you find your meeting at Slimming World or do you just follow the plan?

Wiser - oh yes. I've started and stopped so many diets over the years. It took a while to sink in that I could become fat, I was a skinny child, the short one from a tall family. The school doctor told my mother I was underweight and she tried (boy, did she try) to fatten me up with cakes, suet puddings and all the typical stodge of country life for the not-very-well-off. It did not work. Having children did though, it was as if I changed metabolism completely. I had 3 children in two and a half years - no shortage of activity.

As for ideal weight - I don't know what I should be. I'm heading for 10 stone, intending to then take stock and decide if it's maintainable and right. If it's not maintainable I would be miserable trying and beating myself up, a little flexibility.

J

Good morning. I love my Slimming World meetings. The consultant is lovely, always cheerful, and so helpful if anyone is struggling. I walk the half a mile to the church where the meetings are held and the same back, so that is some solid exercise for me once a week. lol. And as I no longer drive I do walk everywhere during the week too. I've been going to the meetings regularly since March and have got to know some of the other people there, which makes it more of a club now. The members of the SW social team always call you by name and that makes you feel part of it all. Of course, you have to stay for the talk after you've been weighed to get that kind of feel about it all. I doubt it is the same for the members who dash in to be weighed and dash out again. They miss all the laughs we have.
I've been on and off diets all my life too. Up and down like a yo-yo. It all depended on what was going on in my life at any given moment. I reached 14st during my child-bearing years, then slimmed down to about 8st.7lbs when I went into show business and stayed that weight for many years. It started piling back on after I retired and in recent years I found I was 12st and not feeling too healthy because of it. ie Lack of energy, trouble on the stairs, breathless etc. But I've got my weight down to 10st.9lbs since joining SW and am feeling like my old self again. Loads of energy, and looking so much better. My revised goal weight is 10st.2lbs, so not far to go now.

soapy x

Ah yes, the lack of energy and the breathless stairs. As I'm asthmatic, I was using that as my breathlessness excuse, but it is NOT asthma. Lacking energy is a "Catch 22" situation, the less exercise you do the less you can do. I really enjoy a good walk when I get going, though I have struggled recently finding comfortable footwear (broad toes and narrow heels).

I bought myself a "Fitbit", which is so much more than a pedometer. Love seeing the totals of steps each day, though the escalators on the tube system do make it believe I have climbed 19 flights os stairs some days. I do walk up some escalators, but not all and I use the lift to my 5th floor flat when I get home.

** If you type FITBIT into your Google search, you'll see what I mean.

Having just read your bit about comfortable shoes for walking I quickly sprinted up the stairs (crosses fingers in case I get struck by lightning and end up a pile of ash on the floor. lol) to check the make of the most comfortable pair of walking shoes I've ever bought. They are Clarkes, and inside is a number 0507 13285 and they were made in Vietnam. I was a bit shocked when I saw where they were made as I've always told everyone they were Italian. Their shoes have always been the best. Anyway, these are lovely.

I have some lung problems too. I'm borderline OCPD, a condition many ex-smokers end up with. I wouldn't mind but I gave it up in 1981. Anyway I have a brown ventilator that I'm supposed to use morning and night, but do find I forget most of the time. I'm OK though, just get a bit puffed when I really exert myself. Like trying to run for a bus etc. lol lol. However, I must say that I'm tip top since I lost the weight, a lot of my problems must have been carrying all that weight around day in and day out. I don't ever want to gain it back again.

I'll check out the Fitbit today.

Have a good day.

soapy x

Run for a bus...... my legs do not agree to running, my brain tells them to, they disobey.

Checked Fitbit. Could have a good day out for the price of that!!! Will probably get a Pedometer?

My most comfortable walking shoes ever were Ecco, never felt my feet however many hours of sightseeing, shopping or walking, in whatever heat, weather or terrain. When they finally died 18 months ago, I bought another pair but they have never felt as comfortable, trainers make my feet sweat in the most unladylike way.

Was never successful with a pedometer, I think the 'apron' of fat I have prevented it from sensing my steps properly - it used to work for my late husband, but not for me. As I'm self-employed semi-retired when I do one off or commission jobs the money is used for 'me' treats. If I save it, my daughters in law will spend it on overpriced handbags and designer labels.

Off to my weigh-in tonight. Fingers crossed I've lost something. And it's my first night as part of the 'social team', meeting and greeting on the door as members come in. That's show business!! Ha ha ha.

soapy x

How was your weigh in? Good I hope. Did you enjoy the "meet and greet"? You mention show-business and use the tag SoapyLiz, so I guess you have been involved in a drama, are you happy to tell more?

Got to take the car across to W London today (I live SE) about 15 miles which will take an hour and a half if I'm lucky. Have a load of client's stuff at my house and it's time it went back, he can have the boxes rather than me. At least no sardine tube.

Hi FP. It's beginning to look as though no-one wants to post here and it has become our personal 'chat line'. I wonder why no-one wants to respond to your original post?
I think it is interesting to know what others see when they look at you. Do they say to themselves "why doesn't that woman stop eating?" or "that woman must have a health problem". Of course, it doesn't matter what people think, does it. We are all 'masters of our own destiny' and in total control of what we eat and drink, and what damage it could do in excess.

Ah well!!

Will send you a PM.

soapy x

If I save it, my daughters in law will spend it on overpriced handbags and designer labels.
LOL This made me laugh as I have been debating whether to spend a cash bonus I achieved this month on a overpriced handbag :)

LOL This made me laugh as I have been debating whether to spend a cash bonus I achieved this month on a overpriced handbag :)

Bought a satchel bag from Matalan's yesterday for £8 and just saw it in a Sale for £3 online. Scream!!! I've used the bag now so can't take it back. Scream again. lol lol.
I love bags too, and shoes and........lol.

soapy x

LOL at the handbag, typical eh.

Not been around for a week so loads to catch up on but the title made me think....

I have been consious of my knees not touching for years, if they did then my heels didn't touch and there was a big 'bow' in my legs (rickets got nothin on me), since losing a bit of weight I find that my heels and knees can touch at the same time though they do need a bit of encouragement.

I am always consious of what people think of me, but again since losing two stone I feel more positive about myself, and the way I dress and walk I don't feel quite so 'blah'

as for the ape arms....I would think most peoples ares are bent its difficult to actually straighten them and leave them like that. I'm gonna look at people now LOL.

LOL. Have your bag and enjoy it.

LOL at the handbag, typical eh.

Not been around for a week so loads to catch up on but the title made me think....

I have been consious of my knees not touching for years, if they did then my heels didn't touch and there was a big 'bow' in my legs (rickets got nothin on me), since losing a bit of weight I find that my heels and knees can touch at the same time though they do need a bit of encouragement.

I am always consious of what people think of me, but again since losing two stone I feel more positive about myself, and the way I dress and walk I don't feel quite so 'blah'

as for the ape arms....I would think most peoples ares are bent its difficult to actually straighten them and leave them like that. I'm gonna look at people now LOL.

There's no harm in checking out how others see us, I suppose, as long as we don't let it bother us. My old Mum used to say "There's always someone worse than yourself" every time I asked for the hundreth time "Does my bum stick out in this Mum?". Of course, I was in my teens then. lol lol. Those were the days when even the tiniest spot on my face was a world disaster. lol lol. Today I say "Who cares!!!!" lol. That's the joy of growing old. Another line, another wrinkle. Character lines, I tell myself. Ha ha ha.

Have a great day.

soapy x

soapy I know what you are saying, that we shouldn't let any of em bother us. Especially when most of the time people are just passing us by. I find I end up acting different with different people and my confidence can take a knock with some people. Stems back to school and bullying.

Though I have to say, losing weight and being able to buy smaller clothes has given me a weird confidence.....I end up talking to complete strangers (checkout/fitting room girls mainly) and saying things like 'oh thats not going to fit, I need a smaller size now' LOL, and of course they just smile. Probably think loony woman.

Back