Tough love - off topic and chit-chat

Koreans have basically no body hair either. The kids tried to pull my arm hair over the winter! They weren't being rude, they were just curious but it didn't do much for the ego!

sparty said:
Are there any people in here doing the couch to 5k? I am thinking of starting to give me regular exercise but thought it might be more fun to do it alongside someone to spur me on (and so that I can spur them on!)

I completed the NHS Choices C25K in February. It is wonderful and Laura became my best friend! I still use week 9 to run to 2-3 times a week. I also use Runkeeper app to track my progress which I find very motivating.

Ah, the joys of being a woman. LJ if it is any consolation, I have since about age 29 started growing hairs ON MY CHIN. Like an old granny who stinks of wee and cats.

I have always used Immac (now Veet), it is really simple, just put it on thickly for 3 minutes and scrape off, wash with lukewarm water et viola! It is a misconception that the hairs grow back thicker, they only look thicker if you shave them, because you are looking at the blunt end of the hair, not the wispy thin tip of the hair. However if you are using a hair removal cream, it doesn't chop the hair off, it singes it back chemically (sounds worse than it is) so that when it regrows, it is all wispy - so not thicker at all.

If you wax, you are ripping the hair follicle out entirely. So it takes longer to grow back, which is good, but as Emma says, there is a risk of 'spots' caused by the new hair ingrowing (as it can't break through the skin properly and gets trapped beneath).

God when did I become a hair removal expert? Oh to be a high cheekboned scandinavian blonde...I have a friend who is and has never ever shaved her legs. Oh well...

You're swaying me towards veet now :D

Lisa - do one side Veet and the other with bleach! :D

I use veet over my top lip - always have. And tbh I am dark haired but dont need to do it all that often, probably not even as much as once a month. I started out getting it waxed but got tired of arranging to get it done when i could sort myself out at home as and when I needed to. i wouldnt be able to wax it myself - tried a DIY bikini wax once in my younger more stupid days (ow ow ow ow ow!!) So for me veet is convenient and really cheap - I get mine in the pound shop when I need to restock!

Koreans have basically no body hair either. The kids tried to pull my arm hair over the winter! They weren't being rude, they were just curious but it didn't do much for the ego!

That's really funny - I just spat my coffee out all over my keyboard. You must have felt like the Gruffalo! I have relatively long arm hairs and did bleach them once upon a time (removing them and having my arms all nude looks a bit wierd frankly) but then found I had regrowth. It is bad enough having the roots on my hair done, but bi-colour arm hair? Give me a break!

BonnieBooBear said:
That's really funny - I just spat my coffee out all over my keyboard. You must have felt like the Gruffalo! I have relatively long arm hairs and did bleach them once upon a time (removing them and having my arms all nude looks a bit wierd frankly) but then found I had regrowth. It is bad enough having the roots on my hair done, but bi-colour arm hair? Give me a break!

I veet my arms in the summer just so I feel more confident.

But yeah it was pretty fun. Some of the stuff the kids do is hilarious! They are fascinated by my height too!

Sent from my LG-LU3700 using MiniMins

And the result is........... 3.1kgs :(

Lou jinxed it :D

Looks like I'll have to up the exercise levels a bit. That 2 miles has to be every day from now on, no excuses (cont. in TL thread, gulp!)

i posted a reply in TL for you to ponder over, frankly youve had a bollocking over your disappointment. im getting my cane out if you dont start realising how well your doing...i mean it!

OK, I don't have PCOS, but now I have got to 30, I must say I am noticing my tache more! :( No laughing please!

What would you ladies recommend? The hairs are fine and soft, I don't want them to turn to stubble, but I want to do something! How are the bleaches, veets etc? Or would waxing be the way to go?

im a trained beauty therapist, never shave facial hair or arm hair...it blunts the top of the hair making it appear thicker. plucking is ok and over time the hair stops growing back, but if theres a lot of hairs it is too time consuming, waxing is good but you do run the risk of ingrowing hair but this can be remedied by exfoliating before doing it and exfoliating as the hairs grow back, bleaching is great if your pale skin tone and its downy hair but if your dark skinned dont bleach my indian friend did it once and her tache went yellow...next to her dark skin it was more noticeable, electrolysis is another one to consider...it is where a fine needle is inserted into the hair follicle and an electrical current is passed through it killing the hair at the root, eventually the hair will stop growing back, a home epilator is a little electrical razor looking thing but it grabe the hair and pulls them out a whole bunch of hairs at a time and is VERY painful..not for the light hearted, the best but more pricey option is lazer treatment...this hair wont grow back after a few treatments of this, but it is costly.

Didn't realise you were a beauty therapist Lou? Might have to pick your brain about stuff then, I have never been very good at all that, never had a sister so was a bit of a tomboy.

Have decided to go off in my campervan for the weekend with the boyf and doggie. Anyone got any suggestions of meals I can eat?

So far have decided to make a ff veg lasagne to re -heat (should point out it has hob, grill and oven but obv don't want to be faffing too much as prep space is limited) with salad for me and garlic bread for the boyf.

Breakfast is OK, can still have fruit and yog or maybe cereal instead. Lunches are the main thing...ususally resort to sarnies in the past but this time don't want to be eating bread. And need another evening meal plan as we are dong 2 nights (if the weather is nice).

Didn't realise you were a beauty therapist Lou? Might have to pick your brain about stuff then, I have never been very good at all that, never had a sister so was a bit of a tomboy.

Have decided to go off in my campervan for the weekend with the boyf and doggie. Anyone got any suggestions of meals I can eat?

So far have decided to make a ff veg lasagne to re -heat (should point out it has hob, grill and oven but obv don't want to be faffing too much as prep space is limited) with salad for me and garlic bread for the boyf.

Breakfast is OK, can still have fruit and yog or maybe cereal instead. Lunches are the main thing...ususally resort to sarnies in the past but this time don't want to be eating bread. And need another evening meal plan as we are dong 2 nights (if the weather is nice).

What van have you got? We have a VW Transporter T5 and spend the summer holidays in it with the two dogs and bikes on the back.

What do you cook on/in?

Stir fry? Spag bol? BBQ steak with salad?

We have a Cobb bbq and do roast meat, healthy fry ups, casseroles, omelettes, even moule mariniere one time in France!

Will post more ideas if I think of them :)

I posted this when I first joined minimins and have not yet had a reply, so now I shall ask my reliable friends here for suggestions:

We have a modern VW van for camping with hub, 2 dogs and bikes. We usually go to France for the summer but this year plan to travel around the UK staying near cycle trails. Cycle rail trails are perfect for us with the dogs and we regularly use two - Coalport-Bridgnorth in Shropshire and the Mawdachh trail from Dolgellau-Barmouth in Wales. Can anyone recommend cycle paths that are safe to take the dogs, and dog-friendly campsites nearby?

We also need to do some long and challenging walks as I'm doing a 26-mile walk along Offa's Dyke in September and need to train. We're considering Pembrokeshire, the North-East, Norfolk . . . but open to suggestions :) I'll also be looking for local SW groups for my weekly weigh-in!!

BonnieBooBear said:

Ooh a campervan you lucky thing. Wish we drove!!! Salad, meats, veggies but prepared veg so it's quick and easy and no waste, potatoes got jacket spuds, beans, soup, eggs, I could personally live on meat salad and veg it doesn't bother me at all. Pasta? Or are you no carbing it?

What van have you got? We have a VW Transporter T5 and spend the summer holidays in it with the two dogs and bikes on the back.

What do you cook on/in?

Stir fry? Spag bol? BBQ steak with salad?

We have a Cobb bbq and do roast meat, healthy fry ups, casseroles, omelettes, even moule mariniere one time in France!

Will post more ideas if I think of them :)

Sadly ours isn't a VW - it is a hideous old Talbot Express (hasten to add it isn't beige, it's red). But it is really big and comfy and we love it. It has a gas oven, grill and hob so we have done moules marinaire as well and had some lovely seafood in south devon. For training walks (your second post) there are some lovely trails around the Brecon Beacons and Elan Valley. If you want tough hills, try the stretch of the SW coast path between Lulworth Cove on the south devon coast, and durdledoor - it goes on for miles if you have the strength! Can't help with the cycle paths I am afraid, don't cycle much as the OH has a 'sensitive groin'. Love campervanning though, it is such freedom!

Ooh a campervan you lucky thing. Wish we drove!!! Salad, meats, veggies but prepared veg so it's quick and easy and no waste, potatoes got jacket spuds, beans, soup, eggs, I could personally live on meat salad and veg it doesn't bother me at all. Pasta? Or are you no carbing it?

Yeah, it isn't pretty but it is great fun. You are right, could buy some bagged salad I suppose and some nice cold meats for lunches. Potatoes not so good as they take ages to cook and use too much gas, but guess i could make up some syn free potato salad for lunches now you mention it. Pasta always a good one, not no-carbing (just get too bunged up!) so already have pasta on the list. WIll make sure I burn it off with lots of walking don't worry.

BonnieBooBear said:
Yeah, it isn't pretty but it is great fun. You are right, could buy some bagged salad I suppose and some nice cold meats for lunches. Potatoes not so good as they take ages to cook and use too much gas, but guess i could make up some syn free potato salad for lunches now you mention it. Pasta always a good one, not no-carbing (just get too bunged up!) so already have pasta on the list. WIll make sure I burn it off with lots of walking don't worry.

Per cook your potatoes if you want jackets then just heat them up. They will keep a couple of days if kept cold. Sounds like fun!!! Hope you have a great time

Cous cous for camping is quick and easy . . .

Well I didn't manage to do DVD tonight :( I had unexpected visitors on my doorstep when I got home and I didn't want to be rude (decision not excuse!) but I'm still disappointed with myself for not going. It was my sister and I could easily have let them on to make themselves a cuppa while I went for a quick 20 mins.

Out on the town tomorrow night so will be dancing some calories off - and I'm gonna go for a walk in my lunch break tomorrow as well. Saturday I have the daytime mostly free so will be doing a run (not in the insect biting direction....hhmmmmph!) and Sunday I will again attempt my DVD. Please keep on at me over the weekend to make sure I do it. I want to keep up my momentum!

emma_partington27 said:
Well just had a real test ov will power! Thursdays at work is eat out night im sat there wiv my sw pasta bake (lovely) and my mum n about 6 others r sat round me eatin chippy! It was awful i hate thursdays!!!

Well done Emma! Great stuff!!

Back