What's everyone reading at the moment?

4busybee, I have read several Jodi Picoult, like you Perfect Match was the first I read and I thought it excellent. Many of her books are very similar though, so if you read more be prepared for meeting a lot of lawyers going through personal crises.

Girlygirl, I love Cold Comfort Farm, have you read any of the books it parodies? After reading Mary Webb CCF will work better maybe. I agree about Hardy - never try the Trumpet Major's Daughter, it's dire.

I've just started Bill Bryson's "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid", not far enough in to pass judgement yet.

just finished Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'urbervilles. Very slow but great storyline. Started Far From The Madding Crowd (Hardy). Too dull, so abandoned the attempt.

Moved on to Rich, by Melvyn Bragg, about Richard Burton. Trying to get into Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons. I have friends who fall about laughing at this novel but to date I never have; time for another crack at it.

I used to read and read but depression and family difficulties kinda shut me down. Now that I am living alone - not from choice! - I find I am dipping back into my collection. About time.

Tess of the D'urbervilles - is a lovely book isn't it. Sad but very nice. I enjoyed it when I read it. I agree with you about it being slow/. :)

Last book I read was An Interpretation of Murder which was very enjoyable although the ending was a little flat.

I'm currently reading Phillip Pullman - His Dark Materials and I'm glad because the film is out in December ... and I'm enjoying the book :D

After that I intend to read Salmon Fishing in the Yemen having had my appetite whetted by hearing it on Radio 4's Book at Bedtime a few months ago.

Then I will have another go at reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. I tried to read it 2 yrs ago and found it utterly dull.

The Pact by Jodi Picot is very good - I read it last year.... also My sisters Keeper......

I read 'The Island' last year by Victoria Hislop (I think!)... fab book.....

Finally got round to reading a few on hols this year - including 'A Piece of Cake' by Cupcake Brown.... true story - was fab

Read another one calle Nobodys Child by Kitty Neale..... good book

Tess of the D'urbervilles - is a lovely book isn't it. Sad but very nice. I enjoyed it when I read it. I agree with you about it being slow/. :)

Just found your post.

Tess is wonderful; her suffering is so unjust and therefore so moving.

As for Angel bl**dy Clare...

Doesn't he just let her down!!

A 'god' amongst men, nobody like him, etc etc. And what does he do? Dump her, flat, for having been assaulted by a 'kinsman' she feared but was forced to trust, and having had a child by him, a child that sadly died.

Then he asks one of her friends to go to South America with him and live with him IN SIN as his 'wife'!!

Breathtaking hypocrisy. LOL. So typical of the era.

I am reading Philip Ziegler's wonderful and insightful biog of King Edward VIII. I love this book, and have read it many times.

Last edited:
Just found your post.

Tess is wonderful; her suffering is so unjust and therefore so moving.

As for Angel bl**dy Clare...

Doesn't he just let her down!!

A 'god' amongst men, nobody like him, etc etc. And what does he do? Dump her, flat, for having been assaulted by a 'kinsman' she feared but was forced to trust, and having had a child by him, a child that sadly died.

Then he asks one of her friends to go to South America with him and live with him IN SIN as his 'wife'!!

Breathtaking hypocrisy. LOL. So typical of the era.

I am reading Philip Ziegler's wonderful and insightful biog of King Edward VIII. I love this book, and have read it many times.

LOL! It is so unfair and unjust isn't it?!

I'm pleased you found it as entertaining as I did.

xxxx

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Recently read the grapes of wrath for the 40th time ( well i may be exaggerating a tad but it is the best book ever ) and decided to give some other Steinbeck a try- finished Travels with Charlie and loved that too - the start of Eden was a bit hard going and long winded but am now loving it.

Just finished Hurting Distance by Sophie Hannah - i bought it because i enjoyed Little Face that we read in the book club on here - just as good - had me gripped all the way through - a teensy bit weak at the end.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Recently read the grapes of wrath for the 40th time ( well i may be exaggerating a tad but it is the best book ever ) and decided to give some other Steinbeck a try- finished Travels with Charlie and loved that too - the start of Eden was a bit hard going and long winded but am now loving it.

OF MICE AND MEN.

I love it.

It made me cry. Steinbeck at his very best, though I love THE GRAPES OF WRATH.

We are so lucky not to have lived through that terrible time of hunger, want, fear and death. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse were up and running and doing their worst. Now they seem to be running riot in the Middle East.

I'm reading several biographies of Marlon Brando at the moment, as well as the diaries of the late, great theatre critic Kenneth Tynan. I'm also reading John Osborne's LOOK BACK IN ANGER, and Tennessee Williams' A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE.

oh girlygirl
Of Mice And Men made me cry too
i spoiled it for myself though by watching the film first - and i have to say john malkovitch did a fantastic job didnt he?

I'm reading "The Sixth Wife" by Susannah Dunn as I am going through a bit of a historical fictin phase, but I'm not enjoying it as much as "The Other Boleyn Girl" or "Innocent Traitor" - the narrative is too modern.

I'm reading Marshmallows for Breakfast by Dorothy Koomson, its not too bad but no where near as good as My Best Friend's girl which I adored

For all those of you who like thrillers like Karin Slaughter, Jeffrey Deaver etc I have just got in to Mo Hayder and her books are really good, pacy thrillers. Birdman and The Treatment are excellent and should be read in that order. She has also written some stand alone books - Tokyo and Pig Island.
My favourite book of all time is The Life of Pi - just love that book:))

I'm reading The House at Riverton By Kate Morton

An excellent read. Beautifully written, though it took a while to get into it. Now I'm hooked.

I'm reading "The Battle for Big School" by Sarah Tucker and to be honest, although theres nothing wrong with it, its not gripping me. My concentration is shot at the moment and I am only up to quite light books.

I've just finished Trowel & Error by Alan Titchmarsh & I'm now wading my way through Harry Potter & The dealthy hollows.. bit sad I know but I like real life stuff & autobiographies but can't beat a bit of Harry Potter too.

I have just finished "My Big Fat Greek Diet"...about an American Guy that travel arounf the states visiting all the basball grounds. He lives on Protein shakes and diet drinks. He lost over 200 lbs in 8 months..it was very interesting in parts, he goes into why we over eat ie. emotional eating, food as treats when kids have done well or to blackmail them into being good.

Now starting a book by Jodi Picoult called Mercy..about a guy who kills his terminally ill wife under her instructions. Is arrested and will be tried for murder...only just into 4th chapter so lots to go yet.

oh hedgemag i love all jodi picoults books but mercy is my absolute favourite
enjoy!

i am now reading the new patricia cornwell book ' book of the dead'
i LOVE this series of books - her kay scarpetta ones

i also love kathy reichs and have her new one - bones to dust ( i think ) as my nexyt book to read

needed some lighter stuff as i have just ploughed thru five 'classics' in a row

Back