What's everyone reading at the moment?

ah slushy, i find the new kay scarpetta books a bit annoying, scarpetta is set up as a modern day saint now, in her original books she was a likeable realistic character.!

so glad i foun this thread, im a voracious reader, have read a lot of the books mentioned on this thread and am intending to read a lot more that have got good reviews!

Our book club is reading "My Sister's Keeper". I haven't started it yet-I plan to tomorrow. Our meeting is next Sunday, so I have a bit of time. I'm really excited about it-it's gotten great reviews, and the synopsis sounds really good.

Delli
i agree that what they have done with kay makes her less enjoyable
HOWEVER the kathy reichs is a different story
i love temp brenan
have you read these? theyre along similar lines to cornwell but imho better!

I'm reading Moab is my Washpot - Stephen Fry's autobiography. I love Stephen Fry but expected anything he wrote to be far too clever for me, but I was wrong. It is a rivetting read, very funny/sad/pathetic/evocative etc. I'm loving it.

I'm revisiting To Kill A Mockingbird

fantastic book caching!

seeing that norman mailer has died has made me grab his books down from my top shelf

can highly recommend 'the executioners song' - - true story of gary gilmore who was a killer in the usa ( utah mostly ) and the first man to be executed in i dunno how many years - by firing squad - - imho a fantastic read

Just finished the last Harry Potter book excellent!! want to read Belle de Jour after watching the tv series with Billie Piper in but couldn't get it in the library so got a book called Handbags and Halos by Bernadette Strachan. Looks a bit like girly trash not normally my sort of thing but i'll give it a go. I normally read true life stories or autobiograhies/biographies but nothing decent in the library today.

I agree To kill a mocking bird is excellent. That was one of my GCSE texts oooh about 12/13 years ago, the old film is pretty good we watched that at school too but not as good as reading the book. Will have to get that from the library next time and read it again.

I read a very touching book called "The memory keepers daughter".
Basically about a doctors whose wife has twins - a boy and a girl but the girl has down's syndrome. He tells his wife that the girl died but makes arrangements for her to be looked after.
It then follows their lives - the doctor and his guilty secret, the mother and her loss of a child which she never said goodbye to and the girl growing up into a young woman.
I read it in 2 days.
Worth a look
peachy

I just finished a book called 'Pillow Talk' by Freya North and i loved it. I got it a few months ago but never got round to reading it, but when i did i finished it in 2 days.

I am going to read 'The Learnng Curve' and then 'The Waitress' by Melissa Nathan over xmas.

xx

You're all very literate!
I prefer fantasy/scifi/crime
Current novel is Elizabeth George's "What came before he shot her".
It shames me as a privileged, white, middleclass eejit who worries more about my weight than whether I'll live through tomorrow. I recognise the people in it who I visited with a charity and gave up on or who I've passed on the street with a mutter and a few coppers. At this time of year, it's a real toe-in-the-rear to know that some children will get nothing and eat toast on Christmas Day.

I'm reading Mary Tudor: The First Queen by Linda Porter. It's a slightly more sympathetic look at the reign of our first Queen and the events in her life that shaped the way she was as Queen. It's very good, i'd recommend it to anyone who likes a good historical biography.

i just finished tess of the d'urbervilles by thomas hardy after seeing it recommended on a thread here. what a great book! felt so sorry for tess, she really was a victim of her class and era. love thomas hardy's writings, very enjoyable and some great comedy moments in a book that can seem so tragic!

Hi Delli,

I think it was me who suggested it ... :)

I'm so glad you enjoyed it... some people dislike Hardy for being too pesimistic and rather too descriptive of landscape. I think both added to the mood of the book- my imagination was in overdrive.

You are spot on in your observation of Tess.

I'm still reading Harper Lee's To Kill A Mocking Bird, - not the type of book one reads quickly, although it feels as long as it did to read War and Peace (one of my all time favourite books).

After To Kill .... I think I'll settle with a book I can quickly plough through like Martina Cole. I dolike her books, although my two favourites are Lady Killer and Dangerous Lady - the the latter winning out of the two! :D

I am reading "The Palace Diaries" by Sarah Goodall.

Finished that one, and started "A Friend like Henry" by Nuala Gardner, an absolutely fantastic read, it's brought me close to tears on several occasions and I'm normally immovable!

Back