What's everyone reading at the moment?

I'm now onto "The Chemistry of Death" by Simon Beckett which I'm really enjoying so far - good thriller.

Started reading The Artists Way yesterday, its not a novel, more a way of thinking etc. Cerulean mentions it a lot and I thought I would have a look, its very interesting so far, so might start actually putting what it says into practice!:D

I'm reading 'The Death List' at the mo by Paul Johnston.

Its really really good, a real page turner, I'm nearly at the end of it now.
Its such a page turner that a week ago I dropped my husband off at the airport got home at 4am and still had to read it lol

I can't recommend it enough:)

I'm reading 'The Death List' at the mo by Paul Johnston.

Its really really good, a real page turner, I'm nearly at the end of it now.
Its such a page turner that a week ago I dropped my husband off at the airport got home at 4am and still had to read it lol

I can't recommend it enough:)

just went onto his web site to check out the books and he doesn't sell his books well, his descriptions are a bit high brow and complex, please tell me the book is much easier going and i might take a look :D, my DH is looking for a new author and he likes Peter Robinson (Inspector Banks), Michael Connelly, Ian Rankin type books

Hi Sally - have you tried Kathy Reichs? Bit like Patricia Cornwell but better I think .... I love all the other authors you mention and like her so I reckon you might too!
Ellie G how did you get on with The Savage Garden? I had to chuck it halfway through..
Just finished Anne Tyler "The Accidental Tourist" which I loved - and am now reading "The Autobiography of Henry 8th!" by Margaret George - get some funny looks on the train!
Recently read all of Philippa Gregory's books .... loved them - historical fiction type thing.

Has anyone read anything by Lisa St Aubin De Teran? Load of mince IMHO ... anyway I used to work for her, so if anyone is interested I have plenty of dirt to dish (after running it past the libel/slander/defamation department, of course):D

Hi Sally - have you tried Kathy Reichs? Bit like Patricia Cornwell but better I think .... I love all the other authors you mention and like her so I reckon you might too!
Ellie G how did you get on with The Savage Garden? I had to chuck it halfway through..
Just finished Anne Tyler "The Accidental Tourist" which I loved - and am now reading "The Autobiography of Henry 8th!" by Margaret George - get some funny looks on the train!
Recently read all of Philippa Gregory's books .... loved them - historical fiction type thing.

I found the Savage Garden a bit difficult to get into - rather slow moving & I'm not overly fond of reading books based in Europe. But the overall story was actually quite interesting - guessed some of the twists before they were revealed though !!

I've just started "The Other Side of the Bridge" by Mary Lawson. A Canadian author and set in Canada - interesting so far.

Hi Ellie
talking of Canada - I love Margaret Atwood- my fave is The Blind Assassin but also loved Alias Grace .... have you tried any of hers?

Hi Ellie
talking of Canada - I love Margaret Atwood- my fave is The Blind Assassin but also loved Alias Grace .... have you tried any of hers?

Hi,
Yes I like Margaret Atwood, think I've got most of her books :D

I was actually surfing today whilst bored at work and trying to decide where I want to visit first in Canada !! Think it's Vancouver, then train through the Rockies to Calgary, then over to Toronto ...... shame about the prices though, need to save for a while to do that trip :rolleyes:

Yes Canada would be great .... got lots of distant relatives there I could horrify by turning up on their doorstep!
I think I mentioned this in a previous post somewhere - but has anyone else read The Testament of Gideon Mack by James Robertson - I loved it but the people I have lent it to were very split over it - some hated it! Would be interested to know what you all think .... It was in the Bestsellers lists recently....
Oh and an old old book I love - Gone With The Wind!
And Kate Atkinson "Behind The Scenes at The Museum" -fab and v funny - just finished her most recent one set in Edinburgh during the Festival and it was quite good but I can't remember its name so it obviously wasn't THAT good!
Anyway, 'nuff rambling!

I loved "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" best of any of her books and I think I've read most of them. I had to read "The Accidental Tourist" for an American Lit module at Uni, and enjoyed it even under those circumstances. The film is pretty acceptable too, for an adaptation.

Currently I'm struggling with "Gentlemen and Players" by Joanne Harris, it just doesn't grab me. I tend to read before I go to sleep, so the acid test is if it doesn't keep me awake it's no good. Pity, because I loved "Chocolat" and "Five Quarters of the Orange".

Yes Canada would be great .... got lots of distant relatives there I could horrify by turning up on their doorstep!
I think I mentioned this in a previous post somewhere - but has anyone else read The Testament of Gideon Mack by James Robertson - I loved it but the people I have lent it to were very split over it - some hated it! Would be interested to know what you all think .... It was in the Bestsellers lists recently....
Oh and an old old book I love - Gone With The Wind!
And Kate Atkinson "Behind The Scenes at The Museum" -fab and v funny - just finished her most recent one set in Edinburgh during the Festival and it was quite good but I can't remember its name so it obviously wasn't THAT good!
Anyway, 'nuff rambling!

I've got "The testament of Gideon Mack" in my pile of books waiting to be read - will let you know once I get to it ! I really like Kate Atkinson's books too - got "Human Croquet" waiting to be read (in the same v. large pile :eek:)

Currently on "Little Face" by Sophie Hannah which is ok so far - a psychological thriller supposedly, although not that far into it so wouldn't call it that myself so far !!

I've just finished 'The State of the Union' by Douglas Kennedy love his books. I'm now reading 'Going Back' by Penelope Lively and 'The Last Resort' by Alison Lurie.

Life would be so boring without books

books

Hi Everyone,

I read the State of the Union by Douglas Kennedy and also Little Face, remember that was one of our books? It is good, I did enjoy it.

I have just finished A thousand Splendid Suns which is really good, set in Afghanistan, would recommend it.

Am now reading Something Like Love by Catherine Dunne, an Irish writer and it is a about a woman whose husband walks out on her and the kids and then comes back 8 years later...very good too.

Matty

just finished Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'urbervilles. Very slow but great storyline. Started Far From The Madding Crowd (Hardy). Too dull, so abandoned the attempt.

Moved on to Rich, by Melvyn Bragg, about Richard Burton. Trying to get into Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons. I have friends who fall about laughing at this novel but to date I never have; time for another crack at it.

I used to read and read but depression and family difficulties kinda shut me down. Now that I am living alone - not from choice! - I find I am dipping back into my collection. About time.

Just finished reading 'Perfect Match' by Jodi Picoult and have to say it was ................BRILLIANT!!!!!! Its the first time i have read one of her books bt i enjoyed it so much i have been out and bought 'Tenth Cirlce' which i am just about to start. Has anyone else read any Jodi Picoult and what do you think of them? Maybe you can recommend some to me?

Love Busy XX

Having just packed my suitcase I have:

Tanya Huff - her Blood Ties series
Harry Potter (still not been able to read it! :eek: )
Rules of Prey by John Sandford

A few other 'throwaway' books, but hopefully enough to get me through the holiday! :cool:

The Hiram Key (Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas) - again, coz I'm a big old nerd :eek:

Back