Working on Dukan - My journal to a slimmer me.

Thanks, D! It was a photo of me when I first moved out here - pre-Dukan but not pre-losing. I'll upload another one when I meet my target weight!

Hi Pjamber (did I miss your real name somewhere?!), just been reading your diary and marvelling at your super speedy weight loss and baking exploits!

So nearly there - you'll be at target weight in the blink of an eye!

Joodle x

Joodle - You didn't miss my name, but it is Amber. (PJ was my dog) I didn't have all that much to take off, although that's not what it felt like at the beginning of this journey. I would have never thought that I would be here, actually, without starving myself or working out hours and hours on end - or getting food poisoning. The last time I lost a lot of weight I got food poisoning. I don't recommend it. I've actually been catching up on your diary and your endeavors for better eating habits! I have to say the whole feeling full and not eating any more does not come naturally to be after so many years of "clean your plate" and "don't waste food" were taught to me. I'm jealous of your son, though!

My husband and I made hungarian mushroom soup tonight! I'm not sure if I've linked the recipe before, as I've made it once before, but just in case:
Hungarian Mushroom Soup Recipe - The Daring Gourmet
It's pretty Dukan friendly except for the butter and flour - but those are all things that we can readily substitute. We also didn't have milk, so we used plain yogurt. I added a bunch more spices, since I'm a spice fiend.

Last night I made a cake by taking a white cake recipe I found on ********* and substituting carrots for the almond flour. It was weird. The cake was supposed to be - without the carrots - very spongey and very wettish, and so, I guess it definitely was. I'll have to practice more. BUT, I made an amazing chocolate frosting with 1cp water, 2-3 tbs cocoa, splenda to taste, and 1 tbs of corn starch to thicken it all up. It was amazing and the saving grace of the cake.

AH! I made pizza for lunch - I changed up a recipe that calls for cauliflower and made it with carrots and a bit of cream cheese and spices (I never have cauliflower on hand) Cauliflower Crust Pizza Recipe | Best Dough less, Eggless, Gluten free, Grain And Nut Free, Yeast Free Pizza Crust Recipe Ever - Tickling Palates - and then topped with mushrooms and onions....it was AWESOME!

I found another recipe that I want to try, except that I think even halving the recipe would be still be a lot of cream cheese: Gluten Free Cream Cheese Crust Pizza {Low Carb, THM: S Meal} | Blueberries and Blessings

I'm not weighing myself until around next week because this week I have my period, so I'll probably only update with food for a while.

Hi Amber - your gorgeous name suits your hair! - and happy 8 week anniversary!! Those recipes sound delish, so impressed with your cooking dedication.

Yeah, the stopping when full thing is a funny one - think many of us have been conditioned to clear plates and eat past being full, plus there's all the emotional reasons we eat...

Jx

PS little boy in the pics is my nephew - I'm dead jealous of him too!

Joodle - kids are awesome with the way that they naturally eat! It's when we start teaching them bad habits or feeding them terrible foods that things can go awry. Right?

Well, I wasn't going to weight myself this week, but I couldn't help stepping on the scale this morning before I showered, and I'm down another .6 - so there's only 1.4lbs to go! I wish women didn't get monthly "gifts" for being women, because I know that I'm going to start retaining water and feeling bloated soon. Terrible gift.

Yes, but there could be a bigger than normal loss at the end of it! Now that's a gift to look forward to :)

Hey just found you blog, you have so done well. I am with you and water retention when aunts Flo rears her ugly head. Keep up the good work xx

You're so close! Be off in no time, TOTM or not. Hope you're planning a wee celebration!

Jx

I'm going to celebrate with toast, Joodle!

I'm heading down south for the day and night and spending time with family. I'll try to be as Dukan-friendly as I can. Since the barbecue festivities at church last weekend, I've felt less in control, but maybe this weekend, I'll show myself some self control! If there's non-Dukan things to eat, as there invariably will be, my goal is to be as cruise as possible, but stick to conso for sure. So, we'll see. See you all when I get back!

I'm back from the weekend fun. I ate a few non-dukan friendly foods, but overall, I think that I did well. I tried not to overindulge on foods that were non-dukan and I ate up all the dukan-friendly foods available! I even ate vegan at the restaurant that we went to on Saturday for lunch so I could avoid all the bread and fat! I drank water when available or diet soda. Yesterday was pp day and, even though I was out and about for the majority of the day, my husband and I were still able to find dukan-friendly food for lunch! Next weekend we are camping on Friday and this past weekend gave me a lot of confidence that I'll do well.

The one slip up that I had was with dessert on friday night's dinner - ice cream and brownies. They were tiny brownies and an appropriately small amount of ice cream, but I couldn't help myself from taking another brownie after I finished my dessert. I was even FULL and it didn't taste good because of that. Next time, hopefully I'll remember that. I have to stop thinking that I need to eat all the food in front of me. Coming from a family where if I didn't take something to eat - especially dessert - it would be gone when I wanted some later; this is hard to overcome.

I found the awesome that is canned salmon about a week ago and finally just started to eat it - AMAZING. I had it for lunch yesterday and even though I really wanted eggs today for lunch, I also ate salmon because it's just.that.good. Yogurt and oat bran for breakfast as per the usual. I haven't been working too much on food lately because I've been really throwing myself into my research (I usually concoct at least two or three recipes in a week to try) - it's amazing to be so INTO it. But, last night I conned my husband into buying some sugar free ice cream, so that probably dissuaded me from trying things for myself.

At some point I'll have to upload the pictures of random foods that I've been working on. My pizza photo is pretty awesome as is the cake picture that I made last week. The pizza was amazing to eat, but the cake was weird. Pure and simple: weird. I'll be working on that recipe quite a bit more. I want to find oat bran flour to make baking things easier, because I hate to grind oat bran in my processer, so we'll see what happens with that.

Gotta get back to working. I've been staying up to date with most of your diaries/blogs, but so far I haven't been able to comment on many as I have been so busy. BUT, great job to everyone; I wish I could bike to work (and that I was finished with these degrees and had a work to go to); Congrats on the losses!

Hey amber, what a busy time you're having! Crossing fingers that you get a good loss this week - I bet you'll be at target soon.

And good luck with the degrees. I doubt you'll have any trouble finding a great job when you're finished!

PS who do you read when you're not doing your thesis? I'm always looking for recommendations :)

Wow! I checked this quick to grab the dukan recipe for chili that I think I posted once and saw your comments Caro. Thanks for the loss comment - I'd really like to be on cruise so that I don't feel like cheating when I eat all of the non-pv and non-pp foods when I'm out.

When I read in my free time, I like to catch up on classics - I have a couple Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov novels to get to on my shelf - but my favorite contemporary authors are authors like Charles Stross (Singularity Sky), Robert Charles Wilson (Spin is amazing!), Charles Sheffield (Aftermath or Starfire which is thick and sooo good, it makes you feel like your money was well spent), Karl Shroeder (Lady of Mazes), Peter F. Hamilton (Pandora's Star), Jack McDevitt (he's written a lot, I believe, and I really liked Chindi...it's creepy and good). My favorite author is Allen Steele who wrote the Coyote trilogy. The first three books in that series are amazing, the subsequent two/three novels outside of the trilogy are less good, but still readable. One book that I really liked and was happy to find out another novel from the author was coming out was The Outback Stars by Sandra McDonald. The second novel wasn't as good as the first, but still good. Currently, I'm trying to get through John Varley's Titan, which is just a bit weird, and Verner (I might have misspelled that) Vinge's The Deepness in the Sky, which is deeply saga-ish.

Well, my husband just came in the door and proceeded to chastise me with his eyes when I had a load full of non-thesis related SF on my desk. So, I will get back to working! If you haven't read anything by Allen Steele, I advise you to check out Coyote, the first in the trilogy.

P.S.~I bet you weren't expecting that many recommendations! Also, if you've read any of them, you should tell me your thoughts.

wow you're so close to target! you'll be on Conso before you know it. You sound so very disciplined and organised, despite your hard work on your studies, so it'll be good to see how you organise yourself for Conso, where so many of us have had problems.
I hope you allocate yourself some free time for your SF reading. x

Thanks Joanne! I have to stay pretty organized or else I wouldn't get anything done. If I leave myself to my own devices, I end up being pretty lazy. If I schedule, plan, and organize, then I able to allocate my time better. I usually read before bed if I can't fall asleep, but that little of time hasn't helped me get "into" The Deepness in the Sky, but after the next couple of months, I'll have a lot more time.

I'm down .4 lbs today to make an even 146 lbs! And, I'm making pumpkin scone-like something or other for breakfast this morning, since I wasn't able to try them out last night. I'll let you all know how it goes.

When I read in my free time, I like to catch up on classics - I have a couple Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov novels to get to on my shelf - but my favorite contemporary authors are authors like Charles Stross (Singularity Sky), Robert Charles Wilson (Spin is amazing!), Charles Sheffield (Aftermath or Starfire which is thick and sooo good, it makes you feel like your money was well spent), Karl Shroeder (Lady of Mazes), Peter F. Hamilton (Pandora's Star), Jack McDevitt...

Wowowow, what a great reading list! Thanks amber, I can't wait to get started :) haven't heard of most of those authors except for mcdevitt and vinge, and I thought I've read a lot! But I do lean toward fantasy rather than sf a lot of the time. I find I often prefer female writers like Margaret Atwood, Sheri tepper and le guin of course, but Robert heinlein is a huge favorite. really looking forward to trying some new stuff!

Back