Working on Dukan - My journal to a slimmer me.

Hmm, it might be a late night... After checking my ebook collection, I do have a few of these already, including coyote. I've just started chuck palahniuk - survivor - but should be done by the weekend. Yay! And sorry to distract you from your real work :)

Hey Amber, how's it going? Hope you're not drowning in work and your busy life! Keep us posted - I want to know when you get to goal!!

Jx

Hahaha - you made the pumpkin scones! I just finished reading "The Diamond Age" by Neal Stephenson. I enjoyed it but my husband couldn't get through it. He decided he needed a break from SciFi so I got him started on the Sharpe's stories by Bernard Cornwell and I started looking for some good new mystery writers.

Wow, I just finished diamond age earlier this year! I read it straight after snow crash which I also loved, but found very different. I've just started lady of mazes, amber, and I'm enjoying it immensely.

I am tempted to start a dukan sff'ers thread! Might take my mind off food!

Hope you all had great weekends :)

Hi all!
I've been working non-stop on my thesis. I'll be wrapping up the draft, hopefully, today and then revising for a Saturday send-out to my committee members. Then, I have to work on my creative component for my other degree, but that should prove to be less work than this first one. It will be a considerable change of pace, at the very least. Joodle - I'm not drowning, per se, but there's a lot of it. It keeps me busy, but I find time to not go crazy.
Sander - At some point, I'm going to read Snow Crash, as a friend of mine lent it to me, but currently it's just occupying space on my coffee table. I move it sometimes to feel as though I'm making "progress." If I like it, I'll read The Diamond Age. I've heard it's unlike Snow Crash, though.
Caro - I really enjoyed Lady of Mazes - have fun reading!

Welp. I'm off to slay my thesis.

Oh, on the diet front, I've been good about what I'm eating. I over-indulged in bready goods on the camping trip and I was up about two pounds after I got back. From there I've hit a plateau. With all the work that I've been doing writing, I haven't given a lot of time to exercising and I'm sure that's why I've stalled. I'm not letting it bother me though. I'll eat Dukan and keep at it until this draft and revision are out and then I'll get the workouts in. I'm only two parts away from getting the draft done, and then only the conclusion and introduction away from the revision (apparently, you write those AFTER you've written the whole thing...which, of course, makes sense with the conclusion, but only recently has made sense with the intro), so I'm just moving full speed until that's over. Sander - I did make those scones! They were far too salty and there's another recipe that I want to try, but I'll need time first. :( My husband has taken over cooking duty, which works well since he's furloughed from his government job right now, and he's not that adventurous with baking. BUT, he makes amazing meats, which I have to love!

Ok. NOW, I'm off to slay my dragon...er...thesis.

Too bad about the furlough, but at least he can cook :) I really enjoyed Snow Crash which is why I picked up Diamond Age. Keep steady on your dragon slaying!

Wield that sword lady, you're doing amazingly well on all fronts!! Jx

Definitely do snow crash first :)

Good luck with the studies. You have amazing stamina!

Cx

AHHHHHH! I couldn't sleep last night when my husband and I went to bed, so I got up and read some news. I decided then that I should just work and I finished all the sections of my thesis except the conclusion and the introduction! I stayed up until 5:30, because it.just.kept.coming! AHHHH! This is incredible.

Then, I wake up this morning and I find my target weight on my scale! TW!!!!! BEST MORNING!

I realized when I was working last night that I should include all of you in my acknowledgements, because you make me feel so great in all of your comments to me! AND, you ladies speak SF to me. I'll be starting Snow Crash soon and I'll definitely tell you all about it.

Now, to call my thesis adviser and get onto the revision. Thanks for all your boosts of confidence!

I'll be back and forth with the revising and shifting my attention to my other thesis and I don't think I'll start Conso phase until I make the switch. We actually don't have any conso food in the apartment. So....I'll have to take some time to buy some groceries for that! My husband went off buying groceries early this morning - I slept in. But now I get toast! And fruit! And cheese! I'm looking forward to shifting research and adding foods! And, in my spare time I'm going to work on scones!

Brilliant!! Completely well-deserved result, amber. And hats off on getting the thesis done too. Hehe - I dare you to slip minimins into the acknowledgements :)

Can't wait to hear how you find snow crash!

Amazing Amber, well done you! Huge congrats on all fronts - I really hope you're finding time for a celebration! Jx

Well Done xxx

Thanks everyone! I thought that I had already responded yesterday, but I must have just thought that I did. Thanks again for all of the support! So far, I still eat pretty much the same stuff as before - since we're still low on conso foods - but, now I get to add cheese to things! AND there's ALWAYS veggies now (except of course on thursdays)!
I made cajun meat with some penne noddles today for dinner and it was pretty amazing. There's my starchy meal for the week! I'm saving my celebration meal for when I send this revision out to my committee! There's no fruit in the house, but I'm REALLY excited about that and my whole wheat flour comes tomorrow and then my husband and I can make bread!
So, far it's going really well. I try not to eat too much cheese - I don't have a food scale - and it's gone very well so far. Sometimes I make up my cruise lunch before I realize that there are more options! My breakfast hasn't changed though as I really have grown fond of yogurt and oat bran.

My thesis is coming along. I spoke with my adviser who wants a huge rewrite :( So I'll be sending off the revision, hopefully, Monday afternoon sometime. Until then, I'll be revising. No time to read just yet! But, I now always make sure to have meals together with my husband and not over my research and it's keeping me sane.

I'll be back when I have more done and accomplished!

Sounds like you're doing brilliantly Amber! And don't supervisors always request loads of revisions? Hang in there, you're doing great! Jx

Hey everybody!
Conso phase is going really well. I've been making my own bread lately and it's been really fun. 100% whole grain, of course - and only two slices a day! Other than that, everything is coming along. Thesis writing is taking over my life, though. :(

How did I miss this?!! CONGRATULATIONS on reaching target! x

Thanks, Joanne! I'm pretty excited about it!

I've been ever busy on my theses, but I'm working on rebuilding my eating habits around conso. It's very easy for me to eat what I've become used to with eggs and meat. Getting to add some cheese, some fruit and bread every day is just nice. I've really come to enjoy making my own bread. I'm still focusing on eating meats and vegetables, and see the other items as bonuses. So, instead of eating so much meat, I'll eat a piece of toast or piece of fruit. Instead of adding on top of all that I eat, I make sure that cumulatively I eat the same amount as I did in the first two phases.

Sometimes I notice that I feel like I should just eat and eat - since I know that meat and veggies are healthy for you - even when I'm not hungry. That's my issue now. Just eating until I'm not hungry anymore. So, while conso is going well and I'm maintaining my TW, I still have to focus, because I feel like I could just slip into mindless eating because there's food that doesn't require so much preparation.

Onward and onward.

You're so right when you say how easy it is to slip back into mindless eating... with Dukan, we do tend to eat a lot of meat and, even now some six months after leaving "100% Dukan" behind me, I know my daily meat intake is probably three times the recommended amount.

I love the smell of bread proving... and then baking... Do you use a machine or do it the old fashioned way?

Back