Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Eating when I'm tired

Discussion in 'Bring your Head Inside and your Body will Follow' started by SilverSlimmer, 6 June 2011 Social URL.

1. SilverSlimmer

SilverSlimmer Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st5.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st11.2lb(13.62%)
    I was just wondering if anyone else can relate to this. I find that when I am tired I tend to feel the need to eat, possibly in the hope of boosting my energy levels. Snag is that I tend to want a quick fix which is usually high in calories. This is a real problem as I suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome anyway and my energy levels are never good. I do work hard to keep these urges to a minimum but I do think they have am impact.

Any positive ideas on how to cope with this would be appreciated.

SilverS

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Elemental

Elemental Chasing the Rainbow

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    2st10lb(15.7%)
    Diet:
    In between plans!
    I do the exact same thing!!! Since i started work full time i've not stopped bingeing it's awful. Ironically though eating makes you tired rather than giving you energy i try to remember that (easier said than done).

One thing i do find though which does help me to make the right choices when my head is in it, is that eating fruit on an empty stomach DOES lift you up a bit rather than make you tired. Must be the sugars in it or something but have you ever eaten a ton of fresh pineapple for breakfast? Picks you up faster than a triple expresso.... also....drinking lots of water, because dehydration is always far more likely to be contributing to tiredness rather than lack of calories ........and power naps! I swear by them too!!

4. Thimblebug

Thimblebug Member

Start Weight:
    14st2lb
    Current Weight:
    13st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.02%)
    Diet:
    "Intuitive eating" (eat only when hungry but eat whatever you fancy) plus exercise.
  5. Illa

Illa Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st5lb
    Current Weight:
    16st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.18%)
    Diet:
    Mostly raw vegan
    oh I'm sooo into this, whenever I have a lack of sleep the next day I want to splurge in any food

6. SilverSlimmer

Start Weight:
    13st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st5.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st11.2lb(13.62%)
    I wish I could power nap, I think that would help. Fruit is a good idea. I have to confess to being very bad about not drinking water! I hate the stuff and rarely feel thirsty.

SilverS.

7. michelle185

michelle185 Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st0lb(6.67%)
    Diet:
    Healthy diet
    I do that too, try to drink a few cups of water before eating. Water seems to wake me up big time, so hope it helps.

8. Gemsaic

Gemsaic Determined to be healthy

Start Weight:
    17st1.6lb
    Current Weight:
    16st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7.6lb(3.17%)
    Diet:
    lifestyle change using Slimpods and myfitnesspal
    I would agree with the others, water is the key here....I drink up to 4 litres a day! When I don't, I eat more and feel lousy. I didn't like it to start with but used sugar free squash and fruit juices to make it more palatable, then dilute it further and further....cold herbal tea works well too.

I now have 500 mls of water with every meal and every snack and when I don't, I miss it and feel totally out of sorts! Nothing else quenches my thirst and you need to keep your water level high to enable your liver to break down the fat.

I get very tired and stressed with a pressured job...activity really helps with energy levels too...the more I do, the more i want to do! I've come down from a size 32 to a size 18 so somethings working! :0)

Gem x

9. SilverSlimmer

Start Weight:
    13st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st5.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st11.2lb(13.62%)
    Oh, Gem that is really impressive! Well done.

I really must try to improve my liquid intake. I have used low cal fruit juices and herbal teas in the past but I just forget....:sigh:

Unfortunately the activity doesn't help me. With CFS if I do too much I suffer and pay for it. Pacing myself is best. I used to be a real workaholic and never stop doing things and I reckon I used up my quota of energy in my first 50 years.

Thanks for your post, I found it really useful.
    SilverS

10. Gemsaic

Gemsaic Determined to be healthy

Start Weight:
    17st1.6lb
    Current Weight:
    16st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7.6lb(3.17%)
    Diet:
    lifestyle change using Slimpods and myfitnesspal
    Glad you found it useful, I have a colleague with CFS, it must be very difficult to get the balance right. Good luck with raising th fluid levels x
    Gem x

11. bexy123

bexy123 New Member

Current Weight:
    12st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    eat what u like diet!! struggling with what to do.
    i get this, when im tired i have an overwelming need to eat! I eat instead of giving myself what i actually need...to rest. I actually binge/overeate to try relax, instead of actually relaxing. hope u solve it.

12. Cat Lover Sue

Cat Lover Sue Slimming and Swinging!

Start Weight:
    16st7lb
    Current Weight:
    9st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st3lb(43.72%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    WW Pro Points & Kettlebells
    I've really made an effort to increase my water intake as well. I've found it does help keep me more alert. The only drawback is the amount of trips to the loo!

13. Jennaya

Jennaya 28 years is too long.....

Start Weight:
    17st11lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st4lb(24.1%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    I definitely relate to tiredness making me eat, and I definitely find it harder to 'be good' and remind myself of the reasons I am dong this when I feel tired. Unfortunately I am having difficulty sleeping lately, but at least I am aware of it which is half the battle as i know what to look out for!

14. small steps

small steps Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st1lb(14.43%)
    Diet:
    Diet Chef
    I too find that I get really hungry when I'm tired. I think the body just wants a quick energy fix. Alas the sugary snacks never deal with the real issue - the tiredness.

For years I have used food to deal with stress at work and tiredness. Now that I am dieting and no longer eating sugary snacks all day long, I have had to find other coping mechanisms.

At the weekend, I have started taking afternoon naps if I am tired.
    At work, instead of eating chocolate at 3pm, I have started having a bowl of soup. After 3 weeks I stopped craving the afternoon chocolate. I have also found the soup, increased and maintained my energy levels.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.