Em's diary

We had a lazy weekend too, Emma:D. Was very welcome (first in a long time).

Best of luck finding your motivation (never easy on Monday).

Well done on your weight loss, you'll be at target in no time!

Thanks everyone, it does feel good - and more people are starting to notice a difference in the way I look which is quite motivating too.

B: Half cinnamon galette
L: 3 slices leftover meatloaf, 1 fillet smoked mackerel
D: approx 300g vietnamese shaking beef from the recipe book (but I think I saw the recipe on the recipe thread somewhere)
S: Rest of galette & sweetened greek yoghurt.

The beef marinade was quite salty with oyster and soy sauce so I'm expecting a bit of water retention weight, but as ever it's temporary and a pretty good PP day overall.

<note to self: look up that meatloaf recipe. Meant to yesterday, when Sarah raved about it...> "Shaking beef", interesting... Will look that up too!

It's a great feeling when people really start to notice :D

Yay for people noticing. Thats a great motivator (as long as they're positive and not sabatours).

You really have the knack for mixing up your menus and keeping it fresh.

OK guys, which meatloaf recipe do you use? I found a turkey one (with trillions of eggs... don't need any more of them!), and a veal mince one, with a tonne of carrots, onions and mushrooms...

I wanted a PP one!

I think my meatloaf recipe is on the first page of my diary, though I probably vary it each time. Cayenne and paprika went into this one as well as the herbs. Can't remember what the book says, just stick in what you fancy. Some quark I think helps keep it moist. Not sure but I forgot it last time and it seemed more dry. Sprinkle of oatbran for binding is good too. Let me know how you get on :)

the "loaf" word... and the fact that you have "slices" intrigued me particularly... because I presume it's easy therefore to get out of a (silicon?) mould and slice!

I use the one in the UK Dukan Diet book. It contains minced beef, chopped onion, fromage frais, egg for binding, plus sliced hard boiled egg in the middle. Delicious, even without the boiled egg middle bit. As Emmma says, you can always add various herbs and spices to ring the changes.

I use a normal loaf tin, and it comes out pretty easy when it's done. even with turkey there's some fat that it ends up cooking in so it tends not to stick for me, and slicing is pretty easy. the size of the slices is up to you then! Imagine this would be lovely in some dukan bread or a savoury galette for a sandwich, but I don't want to give up my cinnamon breakfasts at the moment!

L: 2 slices meatloaf, 1 fillet smoked mackerel
D: Half mince frittata, rest of galette
S: Vanilla muller light, 2 slices smoked salmon

Thanks guys... I'll have a go and see how I get on. Turkey mince will be the first challenge... I can see me having to mince turkey myself (and it's such a drag washing all the little parts of the mincer up afterwards!). A job for the weekend, most definitely.

I shouldn't worry about getting turkey if it's hard to come by - any minced meat will do, i just like to go for turkey as it's lower fat than beef and it keeps it mixed up.

Today:
L: Half mince frittata
D: Half of the roasted red pepper beef made with half a pack of mince, so approx 120g(?) with some green beans and broccoli (will have the rest for lunch tomorrow - thank god for leftovers!)
S: Toffee muller light, rest of galette, 2 slices smoked salmon

Last edited:
You don't honestly think I'd waste calories on beef mince (even 5% fat which is on offer this weekend, yippeeee...) when I could try turkey mince?!! :D

I've never eaten turkey mince mind, but I'm looking forward to making something tasty of the meatloaf. I thought of using some finely carved slices of smoked chicken to line the tin...

Mmm mental note to self to make a meat loaf tonight. An attack one though :-( I like the sound of an egg in the middle though, a bit like that pie you can get.

Last edited:
I love the idea of a smoked chicken lining, or on top maybe. I've seen that in your menus and I'd really like to try it but I don't think you can get that over here. Has anyone seen it in the UK?

I have smoked my own chicken - but breasts and I have seen smoked breasts in Waitrose. Do you mean a thin thing like smoked salmon?

Back