Em's diary

How is it that the weekend goes so quickly?

B: Half cinnamon galette
L: Dry fried chicken goujons at mum's (after the gym)
D: Meatballs with a quark and mint dip
S: Rest of galette, couple of crab sticks

Had a mammoth 2 hour session at the gym today too, so hoping that'll make a difference to the numbers in the next couple of days :)

Your meals sound yummy I got totally lazy today - may just go cook something I'm feeling inspired now lol!!

Well done on the gymn too, I hate that bit!

The gym was fine actually, it really helps to have someone to go with - I'm not a member at mum's gym as it's too far away really, so if I manage to wangle a guest pass I really get lots of value out of it. It's motivating myself to work out alone that's the hard part I find.

That's a lot of gym time, huge well done. I agree that it's getting started which is always the hardest part (for most things in life, actually).

Thanks very much, I do feel more motivated to do it but that gym is a little far away for me to get to regularly. I'm a member of the gym in the basement at the office but it's really not great, and there's no support from the staff so at the end of february I won't renew there. I'm fine if I'm in the car and can go after work and then drive home, but the thought of the trek to the bus and then the hour(ish) bus ride after a gym session is enough to put me off.

I'm going to do the rounds of free gym passes, and look at a weekly class (perhaps zumba with my friend) and maybe a weekly swimming session too. OH has agreed to motivate me in the evenings to do some floor exercises so hoping that will stick.

Hit my 12st marker this morning! Have been after that all last week, so really pleased it's come round. I've one more lb to go then I'll have lost 2st, but I'm using the half stone markers as milestones as I'm ultimately aiming for 10st7lb. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Last edited:
You're doing amazingly well Emma... making physical activity a natural part of our lives before we get to target is so crucial to hoping to keep it off too.

Brilliant work on the 12st marker Em and the exercise.

I use to train non professional weights, so no comps, just loved the training. Tip for you, dont go voer 1hr and 15 mins of training. As then your body begins to burn muscle. It's okay to do 3 hours of exercise a day just no more than 1.25hrs in a session.

Drink lots of water and eat a little extra protein for muscle recovery/repair and so you dont become ravenous. Usually the day after heavy exercise your appetite increases.

Bren
X

Thanks for the tip Bren, to be fair it wasn't a continuous 2 hours, but it probably was over 1.25 hours altogether - i'll be more vigilant next time. Off to zumba tonight - haven't tried it before but I'm going with a friend who's been going a while and loves it so that'll be another tick in the box for this week. Also did floor exercises with OH yesterday, just some sit ups and press ups but hoping to build it up as it becomes more routine. Definitely feeling the effects of the gym more today in my bum and chest - actually feels quite good to know I've worked some muscles that had undoubtably gotten very lazy!

Hadn't updated yesterday so food was:

B: Half galette
L: 4 leftover meatballs with quark & mint dip and a couple of slices home cooked lean ham
D: Cod fillet baked in foil parcel with herbs and green beans. Could have done with some lemon juice, but that didn't occur to me when I picked up the reduced fish in the supermarket - doh!
S: rest of galette

Don't know what's for dinner tonight yet so I'll update again later on.

I love that sore feeling.!

I don't get it as much anymore as I don't seriously train now just maintain. The days I exercise my body feels tight and firm. If I don't train till the arvo I feel flabby. Does that make sense? Anyway good work with the exercise xx

For yesterday:

B: missed it to be honest
L: Few slices smoked salmon, 2 crab sticks & half cinnamon galette
D: Asian meatballs (from the recipe book) with quark and mint dip
S: Rest of galette

For today:
B: Half cinnamon galette
L: Asian meatballs again with dip, leftover smoked salmon (about 2 slices), toffee muller light
D: Not sure yet, have some meatballs left in the fridge which i should have frozen as they need using up. May cook the rest of them tonight as they are really yum but i'll see how i feel after having them for lunch.
S: Rest of galette

Last edited:
Oh, and zumba was interesting. Definitely going to need a couple of weeks to pick up the steps properly but it was so so busy it wasn't true. Lots of people must be in their new year get fit resolution stage, so the numbers might drop off in the next few weeks, but we'll see. I couldn't really see what she was doing on the stage, and I certainly couldn't see what her legs were doing, and there was no space to move. Am 50/50 on it at the moment, but there's another class on a thursday which is closer to me so I might try that one next week if I can find someone to go with me as it's a bit quieter I'm told.

You're not eating a great deal, Emma... your lunch yesterday would have left my tum thinking my throat had been cut! Don't cut down too much, will you?

To be honest, I should alter it - by the time I realised I was ready for breakfast it was gone 11, so I figured I'd just hang on till lunch. So lunch really was the salmon & crabsticks and then half a galette. Was truly stuffed afterwards - don't worry!

I do need to get better at having breakfast pre 10am though - something else to work on

He does say between 1 and 1.5g of protein per kilo you weigh to protect your muscles though, so ...

I was just reading on GG's diary that you don't like boiled eggs. For lunches, I used to make mini quiches in my silicon muffin moulds (and thanks for reminding me! great addition to the lunch box!).

I didn't bother with a recipe, and put different things in the bottom of each mould (whatever I had to hand... salmon, prawns, tuna, bit of onion/tomato for the PV days... whisked 2 eggs with some fat free fromage blanc and lots of herbs, and poured mixture over the fillings). Very transportable and each one is different so you can use them over several days.

Oh and think of putting extra herbs on the top of the PV ones before you put them in the oven... else you might lose them!!

Smoked salmon ones for me please mmmm

Brilliant work on the 12st marker Em and the exercise.

I use to train non professional weights, so no comps, just loved the training. Tip for you, dont go voer 1hr and 15 mins of training. As then your body begins to burn muscle. It's okay to do 3 hours of exercise a day just no more than 1.25hrs in a session.

Drink lots of water and eat a little extra protein for muscle recovery/repair and so you dont become ravenous. Usually the day after heavy exercise your appetite increases.

Bren
X

Great advice, Bren.

Was the class hard Em? Or just confusing as you couldnt see properly?
I guess it pays to get to class early and be upfront.

Thanks for posting about quiches Jo, had been meaning to ask as all recipes i found used cottage cheese and I figured you didnt use that...

It wasn't that it was hard I don't think - she demonstrated the steps beforehand, but people were talking so you couldn't really hear, and then not being able to see her legs didn't help either. I think it's just a case of getting used to the movements really, but I'll try the other class and see if I find it any easier once I can see!

Back