Helping you set your recommended amount of calories...

I did 1200 as that's what I always thought you was meant to go down to until I was looking on here so upped it and having steady loss so far! I worked it out and the exact amout is 1560 but I do find I don't aleays eat all my calories though if I do go over one day I'm covered x

I did 1200 as that's what I always thought you was meant to go down to until I was looking on here so upped it and having steady loss so far! I worked it out and the exact amout is 1560 but I do find I don't aleays eat all my calories though if I do go over one day I'm covered x

This is so helpful to know so a big thank you for posting! I've just finished a VLCD and while I did the refeed week I didn't follow it to the letter (yes I know, tut tut tut) and I've piled on 4.4lb in a week. Thankfully I KNOW it's only water weight as I've been eating healthily!

Anyway, I'm rambling! I was aiming for 1600 cals a day (mid way between my lightly active and moderately active figures) but I think I jumped up too soon! I'm going to do 1200 for at least the next week and then step it up. It's such a scary thing to do but I'm comforted to read that you're losing! Woohoo! Well done you. X

Thank you I've suprised myself to be honest lol I've been struggling since my little boy was born last year and tried we and sw then gave up as lost nothing! Started eating healthier and exercising and managed to lose 2 stone but 1lb here or there and since I upped the calories it seems to be doing better plus I don't feel I want to snack as much as i have the calories left for it. Maybe I just wanted it as I thought I couldn't x

Thank you I've suprised myself to be honest lol I've been struggling since my little boy was born last year and tried we and sw then gave up as lost nothing! Started eating healthier and exercising and managed to lose 2 stone but 1lb here or there and since I upped the calories it seems to be doing better plus I don't feel I want to snack as much as i have the calories left for it. Maybe I just wanted it as I thought I couldn't x

As squishy and mummy said ... It's great to hear that's its working for you ..!!! I will soldier on :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thank you :) here's hoping it lasts! Probably helps that Ive got at least 4 stone to shift! From what I have read you are all doing amazingly well :) x

RawrGirl posted this in her diary a few months ago, but thought it might be beneficial to post here as well. Hope it helps!

Several weeks ago, RawrGirl found an extremely interesting research study that talked about how a dieter's metabolism is slower after you lose weight, because 1) they weigh less, so naturally their body needs less to maintain a smaller body, and 2) their metabolism slows while you are on a diet.

Apparently, the MAXIMUM metabolic shut down is 15%. (Why they don't call it slow down instead is beyond me, but that's not the point).

So....if one woman weighted 125 all her adult life, her BMR is 1250 (approx) with no exercise. She burns 1250 calories lying in bed all day, thus she can eat 1250 calories and neither lose nor gain weight. (If her activity level was moderately active then her calorie level would be 1,750. So as long as she maintained that activity level, she could eat 1,750 calories a day and never gain weight).

BUT.....

If another woman who had weighed 160 pounds for awhile and then dieted down to 125 pounds, her BMR is NOT the same as the other woman. She would gain eating 1250 calories a day without exercise (or gain eating 1750 a day even if she was moderately active).

Thus, a dieter who has reached goal weight should subtract 15% from their "assumed" BMR. So the second woman can actually only eat 1,062 calories a day in order to not gain (and 1,562 calories if she is moderately active).

This study recommended eating 15% less than your assumed BMR for the first year after your diet, claiming that was about how long it took for your metabolism to return to normal after weight loss.

RawrGirl has read elsewhere that it takes up to two years for your body to reset your set-point (the weight you body wants to maintain).

And another study (I think it's a sticky on the maintenance thread here on Minimins) says if you were ever obese (BMI 30>), then your body will always be looking to put the extra weight back on, (which RawrGirl assumes means they should stick with the 15% less for life).

So while it may somewhat frustrating, it could also be VERY encouraging since we can KNOW exactly how not to gain the weight back -- just eat 15% less than what the charts and things say. It might be disappointing not to be able to eat the same amount as others our weight, but at least we don't HAVE to put the weight back on, and we can always use exercise to increase our caloric intake.)

Because RawrGirl is somewhat obsessive compulsive about these things, she designed a chart for anyone who is interested so they can quickly determine what their minus 15% caloric intake is based on their goal weight.
:D

(Note that this is for laying in bed all day, so adjust for your activity level).

StonesPoundsCaloric Intake
9st7lb1331130
10st7lb1471250
11st7lb1611368

RawrGirl posted this in her diary a few months ago, but thought it might be beneficial to post here as well. Hope it helps!

Several weeks ago, RawrGirl found an extremely interesting research study that talked about how a dieter's metabolism is slower after you lose weight, because 1) they weigh less, so naturally their body needs less to maintain a smaller body, and 2) their metabolism slows while you are on a diet.

Apparently, the MAXIMUM metabolic shut down is 15%. (Why they don't call it slow down instead is beyond me, but that's not the point).

So....if one woman weighted 125 all her adult life, her BMR is 1250 (approx) with no exercise. She burns 1250 calories lying in bed all day, thus she can eat 1250 calories and neither lose nor gain weight. (If her activity level was moderately active then her calorie level would be 1,750. So as long as she maintained that activity level, she could eat 1,750 calories a day and never gain weight).

BUT.....

If another woman who had weighed 160 pounds for awhile and then dieted down to 125 pounds, her BMR is NOT the same as the other woman. She would gain eating 1250 calories a day without exercise (or gain eating 1750 a day even if she was moderately active).

Thus, a dieter who has reached goal weight should subtract 15% from their "assumed" BMR. So the second woman can actually only eat 1,062 calories a day in order to not gain (and 1,562 calories if she is moderately active).

This study recommended eating 15% less than your assumed BMR for the first year after your diet, claiming that was about how long it took for your metabolism to return to normal after weight loss.

RawrGirl has read elsewhere that it takes up to two years for your body to reset your set-point (the weight you body wants to maintain).

And another study (I think it's a sticky on the maintenance thread here on Minimins) says if you were ever obese (BMI 30>), then your body will always be looking to put the extra weight back on, (which RawrGirl assumes means they should stick with the 15% less for life).

So while it may somewhat frustrating, it could also be VERY encouraging since we can KNOW exactly how not to gain the weight back -- just eat 15% less than what the charts and things say. It might be disappointing not to be able to eat the same amount as others our weight, but at least we don't HAVE to put the weight back on, and we can always use exercise to increase our caloric intake.)

Because RawrGirl is somewhat obsessive compulsive about these things, she designed a chart for anyone who is interested so they can quickly determine what their minus 15% caloric intake is based on their goal weight. :D

(Note that this is for laying in bed all day, so adjust for your activity level).

9st7lb1331130
10st7lb1471250
11st7lb1611368

Oohh where is this chart .., interesting reading ..!!
Xx

BUT.....

Because RawrGirl is somewhat obsessive compulsive about these things, she designed a chart for anyone who is interested so they can quickly determine what their minus 15% caloric intake is based on their goal weight. :D

9st7lb1331130
10st7lb1471250
11st7lb1611368

Very interesting. It just seems a shame there is a lot of conflicting information on this stuff. It's all trial and error for each person.

Very interesting. It just seems a shame there is a lot of conflicting information on this stuff. It's all trial and error for each person.

It was interesting reading ... But agreed the info is mind boggling ... So yet again thrown into turmoil as what to do for the best ..!! X

I also posted this in my diary but yeah I need opinions

There is a disagreement in my home between my husband and I. He thinks that what I eat is to much as in the size of the portion. he thinks that the quality of nutrition doesn't matter as much as the amount you eat.

I feel that yea portions matter but a portion of spinach is very different to a portion of almonds. Both are healthy but to fill up you need a decent amount so thus I go for spinach. Like a huge plate of raw spinach with lean meat and stuff on top and he says that's not healthy. Eh? It's flustering. Yeah a giant fish and chips bad the same portion size of egg white veggie omlette very different. It's the quality if the food with the right portion. Right? Or am I bloomin mad?

I've got a great book called carbs, cals, proteins and fats. There's a website too but the book is basically photographs of different meals and foods in different sized portions and the calories etc relating to each portion size. It's quite enlightening. And I have to say I agree with your husband. Portion size does matter. Although I'm not sure about it being relating to bad quality food. Good quality food in correct portion sizes.

I've got a great book called carbs, cals, proteins and fats. There's a website too but the book is basically photographs of different meals and foods in different sized portions and the calories etc relating to each portion size. It's quite enlightening. And I have to say I agree with your husband. Portion size does matter. Although I'm not sure about it being relating to bad quality food. Good quality food in correct portion sizes.

Yes portions do matter just he thinks that a portion of veg is the same as a portion or starches. Caloricly you normally can have 3x more broccoli then potatoes. I find the veg very filling over the starches fo I tend to have lots of veg medium portions of meat and little starches. He thinks that the amount of veg I eat is to much. Yes on a plate it may look a lot but its healthier then eating a ton of potatoes.

I looked at the book its very interesting.

I agree. You're definately doing it the right way round

Small portion sizes will definitely change you psychologically and get your stomach used to eating smaller bites of calories leden things. Whenever I have a takeaway, I always eat in in at least two or three goes. After the first I'm fairly full...i'll wait awhile and then finish the rest off :)

I do that in a different way for a meal (this is very ocd of me). I always eat veg first I pick every thing apart. I eat in this order veg meat starchs then sweets/fats. I find that by the time I eat veg and meat I don't eat as much starches. But hate mixed up meals even with pasta I eat the noodles last lol

I've gotten into eating no potatoes or pasta of rice ..!!! Just loads veg .!!

Now lady's....since 2 weeks i do a bit of lifting...eating 1850 and more kcal a day. Today i stepped on the scale... 2 pounds up! BUT i lost in 2 weeks 3 inch of my body.... So i do not care what this mean scale says! I fit in my jeans i didn't wear for a couple years! That's my goal... I wanna lose inches and i wanna eat!! And finally i found the way to do it!!! :)

Back