Lauren's diary - a new year, & a new beginnings!

Just a thought Lauren about your knee. I know like me you are a Jillian Michaels fan. Well, she suggests that if you have leg injuries then you can still do a really good cardio workout using upper body only. Punches for example, especially if holding hand weights.
I'm a runner but have been doing the 30 day shred recently and it's the punches part of the cardio section that I find the most exhausting so it must be doing some good.

You probably know all this already but I thought I'd mention it just in case. x

Just a thought Lauren about your knee. I know like me you are a Jillian Michaels fan. Well, she suggests that if you have leg injuries then you can still do a really good cardio workout using upper body only. Punches for example, especially if holding hand weights.
I'm a runner but have been doing the 30 day shred recently and it's the punches part of the cardio section that I find the most exhausting so it must be doing some good.

You probably know all this already but I thought I'd mention it just in case. x

Hello! Yeah I know but thanks anyway :) to be honest I wanna do more weight training & less cardio, so today I did leg weight training and then 10 minutes on the bike and that was enough for me. I haven't worked out for a long time & need to build it up slowly cause I'm so weak & get worn out easily at the moment. I attempted Jillian's body revolution workout 1 the other day, and 30 day shred but can't do either cause there's too much jumping about & bending of the knee :( x

Well done on going to the gym Lauren! It WILL get easier.

Tried to PM you but it bounced back as you've no space in your inbox u need to delete msgs.

xxxxxxxxx

Hi Lauren!

Is your knee an ongoing injury? I know when I first started at the gym a few months ago I pushed myself too hard on the treadmill trying to run but at 17st8lb (starting weight) after about a week my knee was absolutely killing, just one knee which was weird but I was so cross cos I had so much motivation to go to the gym but my knee was soooo painful I even tried to rub deep heat into it to mask the pain to carry on but I knew something was wrong. I talked to a trainer at the gym and he said to stick to machines that have a lesser impact on the knee like bike, rowing and cross trainer. I took it easy for a week ad my knee recovered and the trainer wrote up a plan for me of the best way to use my time at the gym mainly doing interval training and I haven't had a knee problem since.
I hope this helps a bit it might just take a little recovery time and then you can use your knee more effectively xx

Hi Lauren!

Is your knee an ongoing injury? I know when I first started at the gym a few months ago I pushed myself too hard on the treadmill trying to run but at 17st8lb (starting weight) after about a week my knee was absolutely killing, just one knee which was weird but I was so cross cos I had so much motivation to go to the gym but my knee was soooo painful I even tried to rub deep heat into it to mask the pain to carry on but I knew something was wrong. I talked to a trainer at the gym and he said to stick to machines that have a lesser impact on the knee like bike, rowing and cross trainer. I took it easy for a week ad my knee recovered and the trainer wrote up a plan for me of the best way to use my time at the gym mainly doing interval training and I haven't had a knee problem since.
I hope this helps a bit it might just take a little recovery time and then you can use your knee more effectively xx

Hello!

Yep it's an ongoing joint issue, I've had bad knees since I was little in primary school & when I gain too much weight like I have now they get really bad. I'm due an X-ray on both but keep putting it off, I should really make effort to go next week and check if everything's okay. I can't even walk properly, my left knee is worst so I have to try and put more weight on my right leg just to prevent my left knee caving in. The slightest bend is excrutiating & things like walking up and down stairs is horribly painful. Bad joints run in my family unfortunately :(

I'm gonna focus more on things in the gym that don't involve my knee too much and I know what to avoid so hoping with perseverance I'll get fitter and as I lose weight the pressure on my knee will become less and then I can do more. I'd love to be able to run but never have been cause it does too much damage to my joints! Thanks for your help :) xx

I hit the gym every other day so I understand I no longer do cardio I just weight lift. For legs try just doing inner and outer thighs. Then do as much arm work ad you can then crunches and back extensions. If you want to do cardio try an arm bike. Hope this gives you some ideas. Hope your knee feels a bit better

Could everyone whose following me please read my ready for a rant thread on the main CC boards, and help me figure things out!

Hi to anyone whose following!

Well I've had a shitty new year start and haven't stuck to plan at all since I was meant to on the 1st of Jan.. Too much stressing myself out with researching into different calorie amounts and overthinking things lead to getting fed up, feeling sorry for myself & binge eating!

So today's officially my fresh start, and I've promised myself I'm not allowed to research or look into any more diets or read up on anything diet or calorie wise anymore! It just persuades me to give up on what I was doing & try something else and the cycle repeats itself so I never end up sticking to any plan for longer than a damn day.

I'm 2lbs up from last week, so my starting weight today is 15st 12lbs. I'm gonna be sticking to MFP's suggestion of 1330 cals to lose 2lbs per week, and am gonna try & push myself to start exercising again but not eat exercise calories back. I've taken a note of my measurements and body fat percentage too which I'll check every 2 weeks.

I've planned my calories for today ahead of time to make sure I stick to them & have no excuse not too. So today's day is like this..

Brekkie -- 30g aldi choco hoops with 100ml skimmed milk, vanilla muller light and coffee with 100ml skimmed milk = 280 calories

Morning Snack -- medium banana and asda mild cheddar cheese stick = 183 calories

Lunch -- kingsmill tasty wholemeal roll filled with 2 laughing cow light cheese triangles & 25g wafer thin ham = 243 calories

Dinner -- scrambled egg, consisting of 2 medium whole eggs, 4 medium egg whites, 100ml skimmed milk & 60g low low grated cheese = 448 calories

Evening Snack -- mint chocolate muller light & options hot chocolate sachet = 130 calories

Total = 1284 calories

Planning on doing level 1 of 30 day shred when I get home from work this evening. I know there's some moves I won't manage with my knees but I'll try my best and either sit those moves out or do something I can manage in their place. Hopefully if I commit to it everyday then I'll soon build my strength up again!

Today's plan looks great :D

I need to do Shred this evening too as I keep putting off starting it for a full 30 days! We must both do it!! Have you got handweights for it or do you do without? :)

Today's plan looks great :D

I need to do Shred this evening too as I keep putting off starting it for a full 30 days! We must both do it!! Have you got handweights for it or do you do without? :)

Yeah I've got 2kg handweights :) I know the jumping jacks I'll struggle with & the squats might be a bit difficult, but will see how my knee holds up later on!

Your menu looks brilliant sweet :)
Just remember...one day at a time... We are all here with you! If you fancy a text/fb buddy again you know where I am x

Thanks everyone :)

Had a good day calorie wise, stuck to my food plan apart from swapping my planned dinner for an asda reduced fat beef lasagne instead. My LO and OH have been full up with a bad cold which I seem to have caught, so feeling super run down & didn't manage any exercise nor fancy eggs for tea!

But at least I've stuck within my calories, totalling 1262 for today. Do feel a bit guilty for not getting a workout in, but trying to focus on the positive of at least getting the diet part down for today.

Well done for sticking to your cals. You would probably have felt worse if you had exercised coz your body needs all its energy to fight the cold.

xxxxxxxxx

Day two and I've stuck to my food plan again & just under calorie goal, haven't managed exercise but pleased with myself that I'm getting the diet part down and going strong :)

B -- belvita strawberry & yogurt biscuits and coffee with 100ml skimmed milk = 257 calories

Morning Snack -- medium banana & asda mild cheddar cheese stick = 183 calories

L -- kingsmill tasty wholemeal roll with 2 laughing cow light cheese triangles & 25g wafer thin ham = 243 calories

D -- weight watchers beef hotpot = 231 calories

Evening Snack -- medium banana with 125g pot of ambrosia low fat custard, muller light & options hot chocolate = 348 calories

Total = 1262 calories

Back