Lauren's diary - a new year, & a new beginnings!

I'm having a hungry couple of days too. I have decided to blame the weather - the drop in temperature is making us peckish!

You are doing the exact right thing by recognising it and then planning your day to minimise any detrimental impact. You are doing so well- Day 5 already - just keep taking each as it comes :) Have a lovely weekend

It might be the weather, it was minus 1 here this morning and we've got snow warnings for tomorrow! Just finished my dinner so hoping the hunger staves off now till I get home this evening and have my pancake treat :) if I feel peckish while I'm out then I'll just have a diet coke so the bubbles fill my belly! You have a lovely weekend too!

laurenmay said:
Had a bit of a slip up last night, not my regular binge but did eat more calories than I was meant too... I had a tuna pasta bake for tea with bread & butter, two aero chocolate mousses and a cream cake. Not sure how many calories it came too but it's done with now and I felt like crap for it so no more of that..

I was listening to a jillian michaels podcast, in which she's talking about the benefits of low & high calorie days, and this is what she says..

"Your weekly calorie allowance is set. So lets say for example, you eat 1400 calories a day. So if you're eating 1400 calories a day, you're weekly calorie allowance is 9800. And what that means is that that's your target for the week, how you hit that is up to you... The idea behind this, is when you dramatically reduce your calorie intake, your body goes into a state of famine, and thinks oh my gosh food is scarce, lets slow down our metabolism. Now the high calorie day, that allows you to trick your metabolism, so your body never adjusts and slows your metabolism down. You just gotta make sure you don't exceed your weekly calorie allowance. I kinda perfected it on the biggest loser, so I would keep them low all week long, and then give them one high calorie day."

So I'm considering adapting that method. I've been wearing a fitbit for two days, and it's telling me I burn 2500 calories a day without exercise. And that's the same number that TDEE calculators give too.. so I'm believing that it must be accurate. So if I create a deficit of 1000 calories a day to lose two pounds a week, I can eat 1500 a day..

Over the course of a week that's 10,500 calories. Seen as I'm big on my treats and by a treat I mean something like an entire tub of Ben & Jerry's and not a measley small chocolate bar, I'm gonna stay low all week & have one high calorie day. I won't go crazy on my high calorie day, if anything I'll probably eat good all day but have a nice healthy meal & a tub of ice cream or big chocolate bar.. I'm guessing my calories will change week to week depending on social occasions, like if my OH wanted to go out for food then we'd do that on my high calorie day, and say that day totalled 3000 calories, well I'd just stay to 1250 calories the rest of the week to make sure I stay within my weekly calorie goal.

& seen as last night was a slip up, I'll enter the calories into MFP as best I can, which gives me an estimate of 2215 calories.. I think it's probably a bit higher than that but I can't remember if I ate anything else. So I'll call it 2500 just incase..

So based on that, 10500 minus 2500 means I've got 8000 calories left for the rest of the week, but it's Thursday and I've already stuck to plan Monday & Tuesday, so I've got 1350 calories a day for today and the remainder of the week :)

Weigh in is Monday, and now I'm off to do 30 day shred & sweat some moodiness away! (having a shoddy day).

I think that's a good way of doing it, Lauren, it's what I tend to do more or less. I keep an eye on the weekly calories graph that MFP does for you. Keep up the good work! :) xx

laurenmay said:
Really hungry today, having an early dinner at 3 cause I'll be busy this evening and don't wanna end up grabbing something unhealthy while I'm out.. then using my remaining few calories for two kingsmill pancakes and chocolate philly & an aero chocolate mousse when I get home tonight.

I was hoping the hunger & want for junk food would fade after a few days.. maybe it'll take longer? I'm only on day 5 so should quit being impatient really!

The general rule of thumb seems to be that it takes 21 days to form new habits, probably why many diets fail in the first few weeks, lol. So give it time and after a few weeks it'll get easier. :) xx

blob said:
These things take time. I think you're doing the right thing by simply reducing your intake to begin with, because it's the deficit that'll cause visible results. After a while you can always start to slowly change things.

There's a woman I've been following online for years - Skwigg. She used to be into strictly controlling her eating. She's been overweight and anorexic. A couple of years ago she decided to let go of all the craziness and just eat less. In the beginning she just ate her favourite foods but in controlled amounts (like what you're doing). After a while she started tweaking things. She didn't replace her favourite things to begin with though, just the stuff she didn't *LOVE*. Like I think she swapped crisps for homemade popcorn. Later she changed normal chocolate bars for dark chocolate spread with peanut butter. She still eats pizza and ice cream every week. The small steps over time means she's now eating healthy overall and enjoying it. She's got a blog where you can see the change over the past couple of years (at skwigg.com) and a forum (happyeaters.net) where she's more active these days.

That sounds a lot like how I approached things this time round, and what I've recommended to several people on here too - small changes over time, don't try to do it all at once. I replaced low fat crisps with a handful of almonds, cakes with cereal bars etc. Baby steps. :) xx

The general rule of thumb seems to be that it takes 21 days to form new habits, probably why many diets fail in the first few weeks, lol. So give it time and after a few weeks it'll get easier. :) xx

It's getting to the point now where even though I crave and fancy junk food, I won't cave in and eat it because I'm on day 6 & I'm doing well and the thought of ruining my hardwork is unbareable! xx

Forgot to update with yesterday's food diary, so here it is..

Friday.

B -- coffee with 100ml skimmed milk, one kingsmill crumpet with 10g flora lighter than light margarine = 158 calories

Morning Snack -- medium banana = 100 calories

L -- asda mild cheddar stick & 2 bags of quavers = 259 calories

D -- asda reduced calorie beef lasagne with 100g tesco light choices oven chips = 508 calories

Evening Snack -- aero chocolate mousse and 2 kingsmill crumpets with 30g Cadbury chocolate philidelphia = 351 calories

Total = 1356 calories

That's a nice day :)

I have done if that chocolate Philly .. Is it good .??

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ha ... It should read ... I have some of that chocolate Philly (Philadelphia) is it nice ..??

Yeah it's lovely :) obviously nothing like Nutella but when you haven't eaten a chocolate bar or 'proper' chocolate in a while it tastes like heaven! I have it on pancakes or kingsmill breakfast waffles :) it's a nice treat & kills the chocolate cravings.

Yeah it's lovely :) obviously nothing like Nutella but when you haven't eaten a chocolate bar or 'proper' chocolate in a while it tastes like heaven! I have it on pancakes or kingsmill breakfast waffles :) it's a nice treat & kills the chocolate cravings.

Mine is a little sample pot ... May have something with it on as a snack :)

Lindsay its really nice on the Burgen Soya and Linseed bread toasted. It kills choccy cravings yet really fills you up.

I buy the little pots as it helps my portion control.

I buy the tub cause its £1 in asda for a 160g and the pack of 4 little pots are £1.65 and only 120g!! I just make sure I weigh out how much I'm having so I never go over :)

Lindsay its really nice on the Burgen Soya and Linseed bread toasted. It kills choccy cravings yet really fills you up.

I buy the little pots as it helps my portion control.

Had my last slice of burgen at brekkie and the co-op doesn't do it and I CBA to go to big supermarkets as they're all at other and of town ... I have some whole meal warburtons ... I'll have that :)

I buy the tub cause its £1 in asda for a 160g and the pack of 4 little pots are £1.65 and only 120g!! I just make sure I weigh out how much I'm having so I never go over :)

Not looked a price difference - i normally get it in Sainsburys.

I try and get everything in portion sized pots as i have real issues with portion sizes.
I buy the extra light normal philly in the little pots too.

I buy my fat free greek yoghurt in the little pots rather than the big one even tho its cheaper because i really can't trust myself :-(

Had my last slice of burgen at brekkie and the co-op doesn't do it and I CBA to go to big supermarkets as they're all at other and of town ... I have some whole meal warburtons ... I'll have that :)

Interestingly i prefer it on more savoury bread, like granary or wholemeal rather than white. And i prefer it in toast rather than bread otherwise i find it gets a bit glaggy in my throat.

Have you found the TD Muller Lights anywhere yet?

Interestingly i prefer it on more savoury bread, like granary or wholemeal rather than white. And i prefer it in toast rather than bread otherwise i find it gets a bit glaggy in my throat.

Have you found the TD Muller Lights anywhere yet?

Are you that person on that other well known site that's been having the td muller lights ..???
I haven't ... I've just Ben to the co-op and got 4 pots of vanilla with dark choc sprinkles and toffee :)
In dont like bought white bread ... I only buy wholemeal or burgen ... I like my home made white crusty bread tho :)

Are you that person on that other well known site that's been having the td muller lights ..???
I haven't ... I've just Ben to the co-op and got 4 pots of vanilla with dark choc sprinkles and toffee :)
In dont like bought white bread ... I only buy wholemeal or burgen ... I like my home made white crusty bread tho :)

Yep different names just to confuse you.

I bought the mullers to try and ward off my choccy cravings. I throw a tablespoon of oats in which makes them more substantial and filling. Seems to be working as i haven't had chocolate for two days (which is good for me)
I bought the TD and the coconut with sprinkles. Both are really sweet. But their are for puddings rather than breakfast (i have FF greek yoghurt) so not too bad.

I love white bread. Unfortunately.
But i am a carb addict

Back