Sarah83's Tasty Food Diary

Thanks Donna, I might just do that x

Sorry for being a slacker!!

Well what a naughty girl I've been for the last few days (and they haven't been a great few days either!)

So confession time (from what I can remember anyway!):

Sunday 11th June - EE (too many syns!!)
Ate lots of toblerone :mad:
Had a delish if not completely good dinner though - Tapas style!! Consisted of:
Cubed potatoes sauteed in olive oil and maggi liquid seasoning
Sauteed green beans with garlic and olive oil
King prawns cooked with chorizo, garlic, sherry and more olive oil :eek: - this was AMAZING

Also drank Vodka and a little bit of cider... bad girl bad girl

Monday 12th June - Red (Total syns 14.5)
Had a mixed bag of a day as was in London with work so had too many Hex's
Breakfast on train: yoghurt, Alpen Lights (HexB), Coffee with HexA milk
Buffet lunch: 2 wholemeal bread triangles (HexB) - one with beef and horseradish, one with salad and salami (1syn?). Lots of fruit, plus balsamic onions (how posh for a buffet!!)
On train home: M&S King prawn and salmon cous cous salad, Just checked syns and is 7.5 eek!
Dinner at home (9pm): Cheese (HexA) on 2 small slices WM toast (6syns) with pickled onions

Tuesday 13th June - VERY BAD DAY
Ended up taking a half day as really tired from long day Monday. So spent afternoon and evening eating chocolate, drinking red wine and eating pizza

Here's the line (again):

Today will be a GOOD day

Wednesday 14th July - M2M
Oh no had a sneaky look on the scales this morning and I've put on 2lb. Really annoyed at myself as wanted to be really good this week and it's Wednesday already :cry:

Breakfast: Poached egg on 1 small slice wm (half HexB), 2 coffees with HexA milk

Throughout the morning: 750ml bottle water, Alpen light (half HexB), apple, banana

Lunch: Turkey Salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, onion

Throughout the afternoon: 750ml bottle water, apple, banana

Dinner: Ended up having a big plate of SW chips - normal potato and sweet potato, with some SF curry sauce from the mushy pea curry thread - made using ginger, garlic, tinned toms, mushy peas, curry powder, sweetner and a drop of vinegar - cooked for about 20mins then all blended together. YUM
Made loads so ended up freezing it - NO idea whether that will work!

Total Syns: Well I am terrible when there's chocs in the house so ended up eating 3 M&S Operetta (9syns?) and a jaffa cake (1.5)

So total was 10.5 (not as minimal as I'd hoped for...)

Last edited:
Why do we have to go camping THIS weekend?

Well I ended up making a huge very satisfying batch of SF bolognese last night using up all the veg in the fridge which needed eating. I think I've probably made about 8 portions worth, maybe more.

This weekend... I'm going camping. Going with DH and my Dad to a VW camper festival in Caldicot Castle 'Dubs in the Castle'. My Dad loves campers and has 3 so he'll be sleeping in the van, while me and DH sleep in the awning. Luckily the awning is huge - big enough for our 'bedroom', table and chairs and a cooker.
But... the weather is looking so yucky! I'm not a huge camping fan as it is but I'll be so miserable if it rains all weekend. Wellies and poncho at the ready

Food-wise, I know my Dad's bringing loads of BBQ meat - mainly burgers and sausages grr but also steak. I'm going to bring some salmon and Quorn sausages to go on the BBQ. I'm also taking loads of easy food - pasta & sauce, savoury rice, as well as a load of the bolognese and some pasta. We're stopping at Tesco on the way there tomorrow so will pick up some more snacks - definately a load of fruit, and some Alpen Lights, any other ideas of things to take?

I'll also be getting some Vodka which I have now decided is better for me to drink than wine... we shall see.

I'm determined to stick to the right foods (although won't be getting my 1/3 SF so will eat loads of fruit) but I will be drinking a fair bit. Then Monday I am starting my FISHY week thanks to snuggle. Tesco order coming on our return on Monday afternoon packed with tuna steaks, prawns and seafood...

Thursday 15th July - EE

Breakfast: Been off my breakfasts recently but today I had a fried egg sandwich with some spread (2syns) and brown sauce (0.5syns). Was really nice so pleased about that

Throughout the morning:

Lunch: Turkey salad with lettuce, onion, tomato, cucumber

Throughout the afternoon:

Dinner: Surprise surprise bolognese!! Haven't packed yet so needed something quick and easy tonight. Have warned DH we'll be sick of it after the weekend!!

Total syns: 2.5 so far

Well my fears were not unfounded... I put on 2lb :cry:

I think I may re-think my weighing strategy though.
Currently I WI at work at our weekly slimming club, but trouble is we WI on carpet. This means it gives such erratic results, in fact the first time I weighed today they were telling me I'd put on 6lb!!! Now I know I haven't been an angel this week but come on! I then tried again and it showed the 2lb (did check again after that just to make sure)

I definately deserve the 2lb as I haven't been a good girl, but what it makes me think is was the 3lb loss last week a true reflection?
I used to think it was ok as I was weighing on carpet each week, but if it's that erratic I'm not sure it is ok.

I used to weigh in Boots on a Saturday morning when I went into town shopping, but this also brought problems, i.e. how late I did it, whether I'd had breakfast, what I was wearing depending on what we were doing for the rest of the day...

So I've decided there's only one thing for it - I'm going to take the plunge and buy some scales for home.
I will now weigh on a Friday morning, knowing that weekends are my trouble spots, with nothing on (so I can't blame my clothes) at the same time as soon as I get up (after my bladder is emptied of course :p)
Trouble is I know I will be a terrible scales abuser and I will be on them every day. Something I guess I'll just have to come to terms with. Might be a good thing though - if it helps keep me on track...

Although my scales may read very differently so could cloud my fishy week trial I'm going to do next week...

I'm so annoyed at myself for this week - I just seem to keep going into self-destruct mode. I've should have the motivation now we've booked our dream holiday to Mexico - I don't want to be sitting on the beach crying inside because of how big I am. I want to be a happy and confident size 12 in a bikini. So why can't I simply say to myself 'no I don't need that chocolate bar'

Anyway, sorry about the whinge, that's it I promise! Hopefully I'll get some body magic in while camping at the weekend - lots more walking than usual and maybe some dancing too, maybe that will give me a boost.

Hi Sarah,

Line drawn - you can be good you know you can - look how far you've come already.

Not sure if I would want to go camping - food wise take as much free stuff as you can llike the SW Quiche I made mine with Red peppers, onions and chestnut mushroom - it was delish and free on green, red or EE. Really hope you can keep tabs of what you eat of the weekend I know when I'm away it all goes to pot so fingers crossed for you.

Someone when said Before indugling think "am I hungry or just bored".
and it doesnt matter how slow the progress is - its all still progress.

You can do this!

Kats:):):):):)
x

Eeek dont buy the scales!!! Its the worst thing you can do. I bought scales and it really screws up your head. Even when you tell yourself you will only go on them once a week, you never do.

I went camping a couple of years ago and was on the SW plan then. I made SW red Thai curry lol and measured out the low fat coconut milk and everything. So while everyone was eating beans and toast we were tucking into some great food. Hope your weekend goes fab. Just stick to the plan no matter what and don't be tempted to excuse yourself from it. Bit concerned about your WI. Is there another group you could go to?

Thanks Hazel - I don't go to group I do it on my own.
Well... by on my own I currently run a work slimming club where a few of us WI each week and keep track of our progress - no consultant or anything.
That's why I thought I'd be better off having scales at home, at least I know they won't be tempramental like they are on our dodgy office carpet. Will still run the office club, just not WI there.
For camping I've already made some bolognese so I've got that to eat, I'll just make sure I pick up some more SW style friendlies on the way there. Trouble is as we're not proper camping but going to a show, it's not like there will be shops we can easily access... so I need to make sure I'm prepared in advance!

(oops - sorry I'm whinging again!)

Thanks Kats, you're right - I know I can do it, I just need to find that zone again...
Don't worry - I'll stick at it and remember... slow and steady wins the race x

Hi Sarah,
Is there nowhere at work where there is no carpet and you could put the scales there? Toilets maybe? ;-)
Good luck for the rest of the week and have fun camping this weekend.

I wouldn't be camping as you know. I'd take my own car and travel between there and home, it's not too far. Anyway have a lovely time with your dad.

Hope your camping is fun and the weather is kind, lovely and sunny here, so I hope your getting the sun as well, enjoy

Well I'm back!!
Had a lovely weekend with some really good times (beautiful sunshine and some really cool VW vans) and some not so good (airbed burst so had 2 nights basically sleeping on the floor :cry: plus it did rain a fair bit)
The show was in Caldicot Castle - the grounds were lovely. We camped next to a big pond full of ducks, moorhens with chicks and swans with cygnets. Just a shame that a few to many people had way too much to drink on Saturday night which resulted in lots of shouting and horn beeping across the whole campsite all night! Hmm... didn't help the whole burst bed issue!
But all in all it was good - looking forward to a nice nights sleep tonight though!

Food was pretty good too (not 100% but good under the circumstances), will try and remember what I had, all EE (much easier!):

Friday
Breakfast: mediterrainean veg cous cous salad from Tesco on the way there
Lunch: Pasta bolognese
Dinner: BBQ butterfly chicken with pasta salad

Saturday
Breakfast: Bacon, scrambled eggs, tinned toms
Lunch: Cherries
Dinner: Steak, new potatoes, peas, broad beans, WM roll (HexB)

Sunday
Breakfast: Quorn sausage and egg roll (HExB)
Lunch: Chicken, bamboo and ginger stir fry with rice (from one of the food stalls called Food Cube. Brill as use minimal oil - much better than the usual burgers!)
Dinner: Roast leg of lamb (cooked on the BBQ!!!) with new pots, peas and broad beans

Along with this I did have a few sweets, and quite a bit of vodka, and a couple of glasses of wine. There was also some oil in the cooking - but absolute minimum.
So overall... pretty good!

So... all ready for my fishy week kicking off Monday!

Fishy Week Day 1

I bought my new scales before we went away too. So set them up when we got back (and obviously I had to check they worked) and I'm 2lbs down! Obviously this will have something to do with the fact they are different scales on a different floor - but I'm still pleased. Probably something to do with being a lot more active over my camping weekend!

Monday 19th July - EE
Breakfast: Coffees using milk from HexA. Still camping so wanted to make sure I avoided meat as first day of my fishy week. So I had scrambled eggs, tinned toms and mushrooms. There was a bit of butter in the eggs and mushrooms - so counting 2 syns

Lunch: House is empty of food before my Tesco delivery arrives later. So had a Quorn burger with a bit of cheese (Part HexA), sliced onions, gherkins, relish and a small white roll as no WM bread :mad: Total of 7syns

Dinner: Birdseye simply fish salmon with new potatoes and veg. First time I've tried these and it was really nice, the garlic-y herb butter was so tasty - can't believe it's free. But it was a little overcooked for my liking so I'll do it for a bit less next time

Snacks: Apple, crab sticks, muller orange and choc - yum yum first time I've tried but still prefer the vanilla and choc I think...
Then evening munchies hit big time, so I had some velvet crunch (on offer at Tesco) - first time I've tried, really nice (4.5syns), and 12 Mikados (6syns)

Total Syns: 19.5 - but no HexB (very strange for me!!)

Syns remaining for the rest of the week (just counting Mon-Thurs): 40.5

Last edited:
Hi sorry to here about your bed,:cry: but apart from that i'm glad you had a good time.
I have also seen the fishy week thread and have decided to give it ago this week, I went out yesterday (mon) and got some supplies of fish in, had a crab stick salad for lunch and a ready made fish meal (which was only 5 syns) with veg for my tea, gonna try and make the prawn curry tonight, take care. :)

I think Fishy week has got us all going. I'm only really doing 5 days Mon - Thurs as I'll WI Friday morning, so I'm really glad I weighed myself yesterday 'checking' the scales ;), as I can truly see what a difference the fishy week, if only 5 days, has made.
It has really shown me how little I eat fish though... my hubby doesn't really like a lot of fish but it was so easy just popping a Birdseye breadcrumbed cod in for him at the same time as my salmon.
I think this week is definately going to get me eating more fish going forward, or I might do what someone else suggested and do a fishy week a month...

Fishy Week - Day 2

Went over my syns a bit yesterday, but not too annoyed as I'll pull it back over the next few days. Was a bit taken aback by my evening munchies attack, that doesn't normally happen as we eat quite late... did manage to buy some sugar free Toy Story Ice Pops from Tesco though, so they'll be frozen ready for tonight. Not sure of the syn value though, they are sugar free and only 0.2kcal per ice pop. I think they're probably free but will post on the syn values thread just to check. Anyway... today:

Tuesday 20th July - EE

Breakfast: Coffee with splash of milk from HexA1 small slice WM toast (1/2 HexB) topped with tinned pilchards in tom sauce (no 1/3 superfree :()
Should have been 2 slices but managed to drop one of them... best breakfast my cat's had in a long time!! :D

Throughout the morning: 750ml bottle water, Alpen Light (1/2 HexB), Vanilla Muller

Lunch: Salad made with mixed leaves, toms, cucumber, spring onion, new potatoes and 56g Smoked pepper mackerel (2syns) drizzled in balsamic

Throughout the afternoon: Apricots, apple, pear, more water. At home: seafood sticks, minestrone mugshot (starving when I got home), lots of diet cherry coke and diet coke

Dinner: Linguini in a mixed seafood, tomato, chilli and lemon sauce with a sprinkling of parmesan (part of HexA) served with salad with crispy sauteed potatoes and a tbsp of dressing between 2 - oil free balsamic dressing which I bought at the food festival. Going to count 1 syn a tbsp as there's sugar in it. So half for me

After dinner I had a coffee and kitkat (5.5)

Total Syns: 8

Syns remaining for the week: 47.5

(Have made a decision to have my new WI on a Saturday morning instead (this is what I used to do when I started SW at the beginning of the year) - makes me less likely to go off the rails on a Friday night! Have adjusted my 'syns remaining' accordingly)

Last edited:
Fishy Week - Day 3

Wednesday 21st July - EE

Breakfast: Coffee with dash of milk from HexA. Scrambled egg and smoked salmon on toast (HexB)

Throughout the morning: Absolutely starving today - what's that all about!!??? Before lunch I've managed 2 x 750ml bottle water, muller, 2 apricots, pear then was scared of eating my apple as wanted to save it for this afternoon... so I raided the Vending machine for the most healthiest option. Went for Go Ahead yoghurt break (7syns)

Lunch: Salad same as yesterday with 56g Smoked pepper mackerel and 1tbsp M&S light dressing (can't remember what it's called but it's got chilli, lemongrass and ginger in it... got it yesterday, hope it's nice! It's half a syn per tbsp) 2.5 syns

Throughout the afternoon: Another 750ml bottle water in work. Since got home have eaten 2 crab sticks, then a bowl of Total mixed with Splenda and white choc options, strawberries and raspberries (2syns) washed down with a strong coffee as I'm shattered!

Dinner: Ended up changing my mind completely... made a bit of a concoction - chilli prawn stew type thing - cooked spring onions, garlic, carrot, green beans, chilli, passatta, lime and prawns on a bed of rice. Quite yummy actually and hubby loved it!
For pud I had some sweetened quark and berries

Total syns: 11.5

Syns remaining for the week: 36

Last edited:
Your fishy week is looking good, I myself is on my 3rd day today, and so far i'm loving it, keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing how much you lose! :)

Back