SLOW COOKER RECIPES

Gammon joint was really nice, so tender and moist. Had steamed potatoes, leeks and fine beans with it cooked in my new steamer. YUMMY

Beef casserole next me thinks!

I have a lamb tagine (well, sort of) doing in mine at the moment. I'll wait and see what it's like before offering the recipe. But it smells good!

There are some gorgeous recipes on here that I am deffo going to try out, I am craving meat at the moment so gonna have to get some chicken, lamb and beef and get some of these recipes sorted! Yum! :)

I haven't known what to cook in my slow cooker til I came on this thread :D

Slimming World Beef Goulash With Tagliatelle (good for slow cookers)

Taken from Slimming World magazine Jan/feb 2010 Pg 27 Extra easy plan.

Serves 4 (although we did this for 6 people)

This is a great recipe for your slow cooker because you can literally just chuck all the ingredients into your slow cooker and let it work its own magic. So its great for those that work!

My family and guest (who was a child) gave this a 5 out of 5 thumbs up! It was extremely delicious and rich and full of flavour. It will definitely be done again. Kris cooked the sauce and I did the pasta and steamed veg.

Ingredients and preparation :

Goulash:

Fry light
1Ib 8oz/681g Braising steak all fat removed, cut into chunks
Lrg onion, roughly chopped
397g mushrooms sliced
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 1/2 tsp Paprika, (pinch to to garnish)
283g jar flame grilled roasted peppers in vinegar drained and chopped (tip: you can buy these in the 99p store!)
1 level tbsp tomatoe purée
2 tbsp bovril concentrate

Serving with:

400g dried tagliatelle
1/2 savoy cabbage shredded (steamed, we did brocolli as well)
4 tbsp very low fat natural fromage frais

For slow cooker, just chuck everything into for the Goulash into your slow cooker and cook on a slow heat all afternoon!

Casserole version: Heat your frying pan with frylite and fry of the beef til brown to seal, then put it in a casserole dish.

Spray the pan again with frylite and cook the onions then add the mushrooms and garlic for about 5 mins then add the paprika in the last minute, then add this to the casserole dish. then add the peppers, tomatoe puree, Bovril and 1/2 pint boiling water and stir over the heat til until simmering then cover and cook in the oven for two hours, stirring occasionally. Gas Mark 4 or 180C (we did this lower as we have a fan oven)

Serve with the tagliatelle and cabbage on the side, and add the tbsp of fromage fraise on top of each serving of Goulash.

img0588mg.jpg
Hi there, I know this is an old post but I am planning on trying out my new slowcooker and really want to try this recipe. My only concern is if i don't add water will it burn as i will be out for 8 hours at work.

Thanks

Hi there, I know this is an old post but I am planning on trying out my new slowcooker and really want to try this recipe. My only concern is if i don't add water will it burn as i will be out for 8 hours at work.

Thanks

It does say in the bit for casserole version to add 1/2 pint water. You may need less in a slow cooker as the lid makes a seal and as long as you don't keep lifting it to peek the moisture will stay in the pot.

Doing some minted lamb in my slow cooker today, will be ready soon and I can't wait to sample it! :)

My lamb tagine was gorgeous. And still is. There are a good 5 portions in the recipe, and I plan to enjoy all of them!

Took some along to SW group this evening as well, as we were having a slow cooker taster session. Most people loved it - except a few wusses who don't like spicy food.

I really enjoyed my lamb tonight, was lovely, really tender, actually cooked better in the slow cooker than what it does in the oven! :p

Hi Would I get away with doing meatballs in slow cooker by just rolling mince into balls without breadcrumbs and egg?

I have a slow cooker and have tried a few of these recipies on here. Its a great thread and very helpful and Its making my mouth water:) I use my slow cooker as I work long hours and when i get home i dont want to be cooking . Slow cooking means less pots and pans to wash up at the end too :)! xxx

Made my meatballs this morning but used porridge oats soaked in a little milk and then put into egg and a little flour and enough mince left over and cooked to make shepherds pie for another day.

i just made the most gorgeous beef curry in my slow cooker and the only syn was 0.5 for the tomato puree but ill get 2 meals out of it so basically syn free:D i didnt really measure anything as it was more a case of chucking it all in and leaving it so im just estimating the quantities below, i had it on high for 3 hours and then switched to low for about another 3 hours but you could have it on low for about 6-8 hrs if you were out at work i suppose.

1lb stewing steak or braising steak
1 tin tomatoes
1 beef stock cube / i used one of the knorr gel pots
2 bay leaves (not sure what this added so could leave it out?)
1 tsp chilli powder or more if you like it hotter
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp onion salt - i didnt have any actual onions so i used this to replace onion and salt
1 tsp crushed black pepper
1 level tbsn tomato puree (0.5 syn)

i had it with rice on EE and it was lovely, i had intended to add more veg into it but forgot so had a bit more on the side but between the tinned tomatoes and onion it should make up your 1/3 SF on an EE day.

slow cookers r the best, and so easy to do so many recipes in.
my fave is italian chicken & chunky veg.

skinless and boneless chicken cut into bitesize peices
-2 cans of chopped tomatoes or jar of passata
loads of chopped potato
loads of mushrooms
loads of sweet potato
(and whatever other veg u like)
2-3 oz water
knorr chicken stock
italian herbs

brown off chicken, chuck it all in and leave to cook all day, tastes so nice and rreally fills u up loads.

xx

I love my slow cooker - used it 3 times this week already! I got a £7 asda one and its fantastic.

We had veggie sausage casserole last night and I've done veggie soup and also a thick veggie stew to go with couscous.

this site has some amazing recipes:

A Year of Slow Cooking

It's very inspiring and I'm always finding loads of new things to cook.

Had this yesterday - was absolutely gorgeous!

Slow cooked lamb in red wine
Serves 4 / 2 syns per portion on red/extra easy

Ingredients:
1.5kg half leg of lamb
Large red onion - wedged
Handful of garlic cloves - halved
Rosemary chopped
250ml red wine - 8 syns
Chicken stock
Balsamic vinegar to taste
Redcurrant jelly to taste - 0.5syn per tsp
Mint sauce to taste
Instant mash (optional - can't use if on red)

Method:
Removed all the fat from the lamb, then brown it off in a frying pan.
Add it to the slow cooker along the onion, garlic and rosemary.

Pour over the wine and enough chicken stock to cover the veg and come about 2/3 up the lamb leg.

Cook on low for 8 hours - turning the lamb over halfway through.

When cooked, remove the lamb, and pull apart into big chunks.

Removed the veg etc from the sauce and let it cool for a bit to enable you to remove any fat which has settled on the top.
Then reduce this down, adding some balsamic vinegar, redcurrant jelly, and mint sauce to taste.
Then depending on consistency, add some instant mash to thicken, and add the lamb back in to heat through into the gravy.

Made today in the slow cooker whilst at work and it was so yummy - had fully intended to have couscous with it but it was so thick and stodgy just had it with corn on the cobs.

1 onion chunky chop
2 cloves of garlic crushed
250g soup mix (barley, split pea & lentil) soaked in water overnight
1/2 large butternut squash in big chunks
1/2 large swede in big chunks
2 large carrot chunky chop
can of button mushrooms
can of butter beans
400ml chicken stock (i think didnt actually measure)
pinch of curry powder, thyme, dried mixed herbs, bayleaf, coriander, pepper

Cook on low for 8-10 hours

Made this last night - a few variations on veggies - used 2 leeks rather than onion, fresh mushrooms, and haricot beans rather than butter.

I cooked it overnight for 8 hours and tbh when it came out it was quite bland so I think it needed a few more spices (the only trouble with slow cookers is you can't really taste as you go!)

So I tweaked with it a bit when I was reheating and added - some chilli powder, lea and perrins, maggi liquid seasoning, balsamic vinegar and a tbsp ketchup for 2 portions.

After that it had a bit more sweetness and a bit more zing and was delish!! Really warming and so good for you.

I topped mine with some grated cheddar as I had a HEXA left and used a HEXB on bread to serve with

I made a really yummy veg curry in the slow cooker yesterday, can't wait to have it for tea.

I added lots of parsnips, potatoes, peppers, onion, courgette and tomato. I prefer to use curry paste as it is the only way my food ever tastes right, so I add the 3 syns.

Can't wait for tea tonight :)

Ju Ju - did you use tomatoes or stock for the sauce?x

Back