Things I learnt this week

Today I learnt that I can eat a meal at McDonalds for 3g of carb and could get a chicken mayo, cucumber and lettuce salad from the local garage salad counter.

Short of time to prepare my day's food today and I was a bit worried....but it all worked out well. :)

Which meal at Mcd's did you have? I was desperate last fri and ate a cheeseburger without the bun as I was running between trains, which seemed to be okay. I'd love to find out bunless carb counts as sometimes it's just easier.

Rose, I often used to eat a big mac and leave the bun on induction if I was pushed for time.

Good to know I'm not the only one! And it's nice to have something warm when I'm running between three classes. Did you get the big Mac with no sauce?

Yes Rose, just the meat, and cheese, I didn't eat the salad because it's often sprayed with sugar water, as are most prepared salads love.

Jim said:
Yes Rose, just the meat, and cheese, I didn't eat the salad because it's often sprayed with sugar water, as are most prepared salads love.

Hi Jim. Is it just fast food places that spray the salad or lots of people? Thx

Cheeseburger pie sounds interesting? Cant seem to find a recipe though :( If anyone has it I would be very grateful if you could share xxx

Hi Jim. Is it just fast food places that spray the salad or lots of people? Thx

I suspect the supermarkets do it as well Katie, they deny that though. But as Marty said, pick a lettuce leaf from your garden and see how long it lasts before wilting, compare that with a pre mix salad.

I wash all bagged stuff thoroughly before I use it - I hate the smell of chlorine and I always get a whiff when I open the bag - yuk - only use it when I am desperate - but hard to get watercress (which I love) that isn't in a blinking bag!

I have learnt that pork scratchings give me indegestion that is VERY painful. Wont snack on them again or I will try the puffy ones without the lardy stuff on.

Oh you poor thing, still your body is quick to tell you what it likes and doesn't like. Jim and I, and others, both love cheese and cream but it stall us :(

Had a very busy couple of days - missed lunch and breakfast entirely yesterday (very bad and I am not proud of myself) I was in meetings all day and although food was provided none of it was legal - so the fact that I didn't break the diet is at least a little silver lining.
By the time I started on my way home at six o clock after having left the house at 6:45am I was pretty hungry to say the least!
But the proper silver lining is that I did devise an emergency coping strategy...which I will put down as my number 1 lesson of the day. (Number 2 lesson is not to be so Bl**dy stupid and unprepared in future).

Number 1 lesson is that sitting in the car thinking about and planning the fastest, most tasty meal that I can get when I get home, and therefore not stopping to buy a snack gets me home even quicker to prepare it is an excellent coping strategy!

It worked and I had spinach cooked with a little cream, with chopped up pieces of bacon.....yum.

I wash all bagged stuff thoroughly before I use it - I hate the smell of chlorine and I always get a whiff when I open the bag - yuk - only use it when I am desperate - but hard to get watercress (which I love) that isn't in a blinking bag!

However, if you get watercress that's not in a bag - you'd probably have to get it from a slow ditch at the side of a field - then you'd probably have sheep pee to contend with instead of chemicals!
Yum!
Give me chemicals every day if that's the alternative!

Spoken like a true townie piglet lol

As for the sheep's urine, I love this Cosmetics in Ancient Rome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roll on the changes eh? :)

Haha - I'm not a townie at all! I love foaging for food for free - The hardest thing about Chrimbo this year was not downing litres of my my homemade sloe gin and not making and eating blackberry crumble from the blackberries in my well stocked freezer - I can't wait till I start adding berries back into my diet and start working through my stocks!

I am just very aware that watercress is one food to be avoided from the wild (rats pee as well as sheep pee). Which is a real same as I do agree with Bren - Watercress is a real favourite!

Back